Buy a new 6700k or "upgrade"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ1892

[H]ard|Gawd
My 6700k is going downhill from running it at 4.8ghz 1.4v for an extended period of time. I used to run it at 4.9ghz when I was on water at something around 1.45v. The last few weeks I noticed instability creeping up and yesterday I had to up the voltage to get it stable and ended up doing a few tests compared to the last time I overclocked. Tested at various frequencies and all of them required increased voltages. So I think the CPU is probably on it's way out soon.

I want to stick with Intel's platform if upgrading just because I'm more familiar with it and don't really need a lot of threads. Should I hold out for whatever Intel releases this fall or buy a 9700k now. I don't think I need a 9900k since lately all I do is game on my machine. I looked around at benchmarks on the 9th generation and it seems there is >1% IPC improvement over Skylake based on Cinebench numbers singlethreaded at the same frequency so it doesn't even look like an upgrade which is kind of disappointing.

What would you guys recommend. I do kind of feel like swapping the motherboard and CPU and getting something newer since 2 of my USB ports have been flaky lately, having intermittent disconnects on the devices. It's probably smarter to just get another 6700k though.

I mean you can't sell the board, so you might as well keep/;use it as long as possible

Get a new CPU or lower your OC

Wasn't really planning on selling the board anyways, I'm a little wasteful and just throw it in the PC recycle pile at work. But yea, might just grab another 6700k, my original plan was to upgrade when Icelake comes out. I have lowered my overclock to 4.6ghz but still requires like 1.36v while before the issues cropped up I could do 4.6ghz at 1.3v.

Last edited:
2 USB ports being "flaky" and a CPU that suddenly isn't stable at a particular voltage setting could point to a PSU or Motherboard issue. I've had a lot of things fail on me. A CPU has never been one of them.

2 USB ports being "flaky" and a CPU that suddenly isn't stable at a particular voltage setting could point to a PSU or Motherboard issue. I've had a lot of things fail on me. A CPU has never been one of them.

I can test with another PSU this weekend, I have another. The USB ports have been messed up since last summer, was thinking it was a driver issue but tried everything I could on the software side.

I used to work with a company that sold semiconductors, failure rate of CPU does not reach 1% IIRC on used shit sent cross country in tiny little envolopes

Motherboards break all the time

Gonna hook up my PSU from my workstation up tonight and see if it was the PSU. If it's not I'll probably just hold out til Icelake and deal with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back