Buy a game on sale, don't play it, then find game is more discounted in future sale

I have almost 200 games on my Steam account and like 12 in my Origin just picked up Dragon Age I hope it doesn't go down in price over the next 6 months to 14.99

I think in the future I'll be more selective but I'm waiting for some that I bought that hasn't even come out like Evolve and Pillars of Eternity and Bloodborne.
I acquired a lot of game through indiegala where I can get like 10 for 1.00 or something some really turned out to be gems like Forsaken Uprising.

The thing is Steam will be around till I die and then still be around and it won't give a damn how many game I didn't even play.

Last edited:
Well I don't mind paying more now to play with early adopters. I also think it's fine that they are discounted more later on. Well I'm always looking for nice discounts, so it doesn't matter that 6 months to a year later it is finally cheaper than what I paid.

Last edited:
Ill only buy games I plan to finish, I have been a member of steam for as long as its been out and only have 70 games in my library, the majority of which I have fully completed.

When it comes to the sales im very careful, for example I bought shadow of Mordor for £20.09(corrected) in a STEAM sale however in the December Christmas sale it was on offer for £17 :( its now £22....

Theres been the odd game i completed on console then re-bought for the PC, Dues Ex was one of those titles, I completed it another two times on the PC :D

Origin has less games on it and i tend to download every "on the house" game regardless whether i plan to play it lol. There games are too expensive to buy from the store(ill only buy a game when its under £20) I have Origin due to buying the Command and Conquer pack for £17, i already owned some of the titles however having them on Origin and CD allowed me to have a couple of Command and Conquer LAN games (laptop vs desktop) with a couple of friends :)

Just also wanted to add my view on value for money games, i tend to associate 1 hour of game-play with 1 pound money wise, so if i get more hours game-play than pounds spent i consider it good value, so Shadow of morder with all side quests except slave fighting quests took me 24 hours to complete, so anything upto 24pound to me is good value for that game :D

Last edited:
I only buy them when they hit rock bottom. AAA titles won't typically go for below $4.99 or maybe $3.99. That's when I will pick them up.

I have too large of a backlog to buy anything at release or even within the first year. I still don't have Skyrim.

That happens a lot, which is why these days I wait till it's $9.99 on Steam sale.

Of course rightfully I should stop buying games I don't plan to play anytime soon, but this is a hard habit to break :p

Not much you can do about buying a game and then realizing you just don't like it. I try to map out a plan for people in the steam threads

$15-20 -I'm playing this right now. It was just out of my budget.
$10 - I'm probably going to play this soon if not now
$5< - Looks cool I wanna check it out.

$30> I'm just not a part of this group. If its on sale for $30 I probably already own it because I bought it right away and beat it

MMO's - Be suuuuper careful about this. Steam sells Dead mmo's all the time. Avoid at all costs if you're not sure you're an MMO person. If an MMO is $5 you already missed the boat.

MFPS - Just don't. If its on sale for cheap the community is already dead except BattleField, Call of Duty and Counter-strike:GO. Avoid any COD games before Advanced Warfare. COD3 and Black ops II IMO sucked pretty hard multiplayer wise.

Packs- NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Follow these rules and you'll be fine.

Eh, it's my money. There are plenty of other things people waste money on, so I don't feel too bad.

It just happened again to me with Lichdome (still not installed). I bought during a daily sale a couple of weeks ago for $12, right now it's $10. Oh well it happens, and it's always your own fault for noticing it as the lowest price ever at the moment. If you feel bad about it you better go stick to the "don't buy it till you know you're going to play it" route. I tried that for a short while a few years ago, but it doesn't work for me. I always ended up regretting I didn't buy it on sale when I finally had the time to actually play it and it wasn't on sale at that moment. So now I hoard games I am interested in when they are on sale. :p

I generally only buy games if they are discounted 50% that I plan to play soon, unless it's a game I plan to play immediately I never really pay full price, I will though with GTAV most likely since I've been waiting years for it. I do usually wait for games to at least be 66% off.

Most my library is games that were 75% off or on the humblebundle since it's a way for me to donate to the EFF. I generally don't play the games I get on humblebundle and usually only get the bundles if it can go to the EFF. I have 402 games and have played around 100 of them completely (not all achievements though). My backlog is probably 50 games, the rest I played and never really got into, or they were from the humblebundle.

Not much you can do about buying a game and then realizing you just don't like it. I try to map out a plan for people in the steam threads

$30> I'm just not a part of this group. If its on sale for $30 I probably already own it because I bought it right away and beat it

MMO's - Be suuuuper careful about this. Steam sells Dead mmo's all the time. Avoid at all costs if you're not sure you're an MMO person. If an MMO is $5 you already missed the boat.

MFPS - Just don't. If its on sale for cheap the community is already dead except BattleField, Call of Duty and Counter-strike:GO. Avoid any COD games before Advanced Warfare. COD3 and Black ops II IMO sucked pretty hard multiplayer wise.

Packs- NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yup this is pretty much how I do it.

Packs- NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i'm so guilty same. :D

I only buy them when they hit rock bottom. AAA titles won't typically go for below $4.99 or maybe $3.99. That's when I will pick them up.

I have too large of a backlog to buy anything at release or even within the first year. I still don't have Skyrim.

Skyrim is on sale for $4.99 right now...

Skyrim is on sale for $4.99 right now...

Yeah, that's a normal price now on many sites during the sales. Since that game may end up sucking tons and tons of time I've been holding off. Plus I wanted to have a nicer video card before I got it so I could use the high-res textures.

Tip: throw a 20% off coupon that GMG regularly has and Skyrim is only $4 on sale.

I'm in the same boat as many of you. I've spent an obscene amount of money over the years on Steam games that I never actually install, or finish for that matter. This is why I'm enjoying having a console much more because I wind up actually playing them.

Back