Buy a Dell 3007WFP now or wait?

JCF

Weaksauce
I really dont want to spend $1600 on a monitor, let alone $1300 for the 30. But i do need a bigger screen being as i work on two 21inch monitors and one is dieing, and i need a quality display for work (3d animator, graphic artist)

I'm a bit worried that the 3007WFP is a bad buy at this time being as the newer 30 panels are out. I'm aware that the dell -HC verison and the HP use the same panels, but should i have anything to worry about, buying the current 3007WFP model now?

The plus side is its less... but i'm concerned about the newer stuff that is right around the corner, (isnt it always).

i priced the hp just now and got a quote of like $1880 from HP online. Thats a bit much for me, as i just built a quad core, geforce 8800gtx, 4gig ram etc system.

My old sony gdm-f520 is dieing, and my other sony seems to be ok but its time to get a new display. I can use my good sony crt for proofing, but i have to replace the bad one with soemthing big ... and affordable.

why not look at the apple 30"? if your doing graphics and such

i priced the hp just now and got a quote of like $1880 from HP online. Thats a bit much for me, as i just built a quad core, geforce 8800gtx, 4gig ram etc system.

why not look at the apple 30"? if your doing graphics and such

He just said 1880 is a bit to much for him.. why would you recommend somethin more expensive? :confused: :confused:

meh, the apples are long-due for an update. If he's hesitant between the upgraded panels and the current dell, which has similar specs as the current apples, then he might as well grab the dell for much less money.

I'm not sure what to say, being in a similar predicament myself, I think it depends on whether you think dell will phase out the current 30 for the new one and drop price on the hd to something more reasonable. I think if they were going to do that anytime soon they wouldn't have released it under a different monicker.

Me? I'm waiting for better connections in a 30 at at least current 3007 prices, not entirely sure if I need 92% of the color gamut, but it's not worth 500 to me.

yeah its such a tough call right now. An editor friend of mine, owns the apple 30 in his setup. It is extremely nice as i'm sure you all know. The dell being the upgraded one, is just as nice if not more but now we have the HP with 3 dvi ports and the newer panel. Soon Dell will have theres on sale (without an xps system) soon.

Its pretty difficult to pull the trigger on the old dell 30, while the price is still pretty dam high for a monitor.

But i do need to upgrade. I wear glasses, and i cant stand leaning in on my 21inch monitors anymore.

i'd like to go large format LCD asap.

Use pricegrabber and froogle to find better prices on the HP. It has been as low as $1520 after a $40 rebate, and now on froogle I see similar prices. In my state, the 3007 is $1379 total, so that's maybe only $150 cheaper than the 3065.

The better colors and faster response time are important to me. I've read people saying that DVDs are too blurry on the 3007, and I'd say it's just barely fast enough.

Before it was launched, the LP3065 was going to be $2000, but it ended up quickly being under $1600 when it finally came out. If Dell says the -HC will be $1600, I bet it will be quite a bit less.

I'm itching to go for it... hahahaha you have no idea how many times i almost just bought the dam thing this week

Which OS are you running?
You do realize 4gb of ram is a waste on win XP right?
so why not do the same on monitors? :confused:

:D

4gbs is definatly not a waste on xp. I'm a die hard supporter of xp64... but unfortunately i myself havent made the leap due to lack of drivers on it.

I'm running win32 xp. I run photoshop, and softimage xsi, and or mudbox at the same time, both will take every bit of ram i can give it.

Yes, 4gigs is a waste, if you run 1 app at a time, but if you're doing highend graphics and switching back and forth between apps... 4 gig is a must.

i also occasionally run the /3G switch in xp to give apps more ram, it has saved me on some renders.

You only get about 2.5gig out of 4gig on XP.
Which is why most people are benching 4gig on server 2003 instead;)

yeah you get about 3.2 to 3.5 range, that gets devided for os, about 1 gig for os, and you're left with 2.5 for apps, which can only address 2gigs per process. I beleive thats how it works.

It is helpful though, especially with the /3G switch, for apps that will use the extra alotted ram with the /3G.

64bit is a must. I really wish i could fully convert to it. I'm going to make an effort to when Vista is out.

can a 8800gtx drive 2 24" displays? you could get those for less than 1 30" when Dell runs their lcd sales which is about every other week.

one 8800gtx or any recent graphic card for that matter can drive .. in theory .. up to 4 2407wfp using the analog RAMDACs.. and use two new/just announced matrox digital dualhead2go.. for 2d graphics.. with mvidia span mode...you shoud be able to get one 3840x2400 or one 7680x1200 desktop..

with 8800gtx you may be able to do dualscreen gaming at 3840x1200 pixels around half a million more pixels than one 3007

Back