Buy a 1070 FE or a XFX 570 4GB

ManofGod

[H]F Junkie
This is a card that is going into a secondary machine, with a Ryzen R5 2600 and 16GB of ram. I will not be gaming on it much, going to install Windows 10 Pro and Ubuntu and it has a 27 inch 1080p monitor. Question is, the 570 is on sale for $199, the 8GB version for $239 or I can buy the 1070FE for $349. (All at Best buy and yes, I would have to pay NYS Sales tax.)

Since I am not going to game much on it, which one do you guys recommend, since I do not want to spend more money if I am not going to benefit from it. (I already have a R7 1700 at 3.9GHz and Reference Vega 56 in my primary computer at home.)

I would buy the 1070 just based on the fact that its a lot faster, and probably will hold a much higher resale value

2nd the 1070. Better performance now means it'll last longer down the road.

This is a card that is going into a secondary machine, with a Ryzen R5 2600 and 16GB of ram. I will not be gaming on it much, going to install Windows 10 Pro and Ubuntu and it has a 27 inch 1080p monitor. Question is, the 570 is on sale for $199, the 8GB version for $239 or I can buy the 1070FE for $349. (All at Best buy and yes, I would have to pay NYS Sales tax.)

Since I am not going to game much on it, which one do you guys recommend, since I do not want to spend more money if I am not going to benefit from it. (I already have a R7 1700 at 3.9GHz and Reference Vega 56 in my primary computer at home.)

Wow. I'm surprised that you would even consider placing an Nvidia card in your rig, let alone buying one.
Another vote for the 1070.

If you are not gonna game, I say a 570 will suffice since it is decent enough for 1080p and I imagine once it is time to upgrade your primary machine GPU, it will pass down to your secondary machine. The only time I will make a case for the 1070 is if someone else is going game on it a lot.

1070. It makes me feel like more of a man when my secondary rig is better than most people’s primary.

Another 570 vote here. "I will not be gaming on it much" 1080p monitor means all games will play fine at high settings if he does wish to play any. Though it's a good price for a 1070, why spend the extra 'just because'? Pocket the cash.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I think both points are correct but, I went ahead and picked up the 570 4GB one anyways, just for the sake of cost if nothing else. :D I was seriously tempted to buy that 1070 but, I rebuilt my secondary computer after selling a few things off from it and therefore, I just wanted to keep the cost down. (I also now have 3 games I did not have before, included with the card. :) )

Wow. I'm surprised that you would even consider placing an Nvidia card in your rig, let alone buying one.

To be honest, I have not cared about brand one way or the other in the past few days. Did not want a 1050 though and the 1060's are still expensive, at least at Best Buy. :D

If you won't be gaming on it much, I'd get the 570. I had a 470 in my secondary gaming rig for a while, also on a 1080p screen, and I never found it lacking for performance on the odd occasion where it was actually being used.

Little use, 1080 monitor. Anything other than the two cheaper options seems like overkill there.

its a situation where AMD doesn't have anything reasonable to use. If you go to like a vega you're left with not great performance outside of a few things and more heat than its worth. the 1070 is an amazing card for the wattage used. I have stacks of 1050ti's that I usually put in side rigs for like the kids and stuff. They can play pretty much any game as long as the eye candy and res is kept in check. 1070 is a bit of overkill.

I paid under $150 a piece for those 1050's more than a year ago... Those mining rigs paid for themselves 20x over.

Last edited:
its a situation where AMD doesn't have anything reasonable to use. If you go to like a vega you're left with not great performance outside of a few things and more heat than its worth. the 1070 is an amazing card for the wattage used. I have stacks of 1050ti's that I usually put in side rigs for like the kids and stuff. They can play pretty much any game as long as the eye candy and res is kept in check. 1070 is a bit of overkill.

I paid under $150 a piece for those 1050's more than a year ago... Those mining rigs paid for themselves 20x over.

This I know. I was going off the fact that ManofGod is AMD biased as they come and was shocked he would even look at Nvidia as a choice.
I would of recommended a 570 because of his usage for that rig but....I also just wanted to see him with a 1070 just for lolz. :p

This I know. I was going off the fact that ManofGod is AMD biased as they come and was shocked he would even look at Nvidia as a choice.
I would of recommended a 570 because of his usage for that rig but....I also just wanted to see him with a 1070 just for lolz. :p
I don't understand limiting the place of purchase to best buy unless a best buy card is involved I guess but there's more incentive to dodge the state tax and buying online. the best buy reward is only 6% when using the card (5 if you haven't spent a lot like me)

I don't understand limiting the place of purchase to best buy unless a best buy card is involved I guess but there's more incentive to dodge the state tax and buying online. the best buy reward is only 6% when using the card (5 if you haven't spent a lot like me)

Cost, and I wanted it more or less NOW! :D ;) :) The cost of the card was more for the specific card I was looking at everywhere else. Oh, and at least locally, Best Buy is all there is. :/ Microcenter is far enough away, the gas cost would erase any savings I would gain by going there, unless I were to buy everything for a whole new build, all at once.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I think both points are correct but, I went ahead and picked up the 570 4GB one anyways, just for the sake of cost if nothing else. :D I was seriously tempted to buy that 1070 but, I rebuilt my secondary computer after selling a few things off from it and therefore, I just wanted to keep the cost down. (I also now have 3 games I did not have before, included with the card. :) )

To be honest, I have not cared about brand one way or the other in the past few days. Did not want a 1050 though and the 1060's are still expensive, at least at Best Buy. :D

Cool, and further down the road when you upgrade your primary rig gpu, that get pass down to your secondary rig.

Back