Buy 2080Ti now, or wait for holidays?

Sit down.

OP asked if he should buy now or wait for possible price drops. OP wants a 2080TI. OP did not ask if he should wait for next gen.
Nvidia won't be dropping their prices any time soon. They will just release something faster and more expensive.

Reactions: Auer
like this
When it comes to graphics cards, buy now. Waiting when you can be maxing out now is goofy to say the least. There is always something better down the road, well except for AMD/ATI which since Fury and Vega has been all smoke and mirrors and bullshit. (I am not getting into any pissing match AMD vs Nvidia. I left after having everything from Radeon DDR all the way to Radeon X1900 XT and nothing but driver/visual abnormalities which is still problems that plague them today. Last Radeon was a 4660 in my daughters Webkins PC. Brother has a 580 in his rig, my nephews take care of that POS) I personally needed the 2080Ti for 4K gaming on the big screen in my sig.

Besides, resale on top end Nvidia Cards is high. Sold my 1080Ti for $500 and my 980Ti for $350 last month. So infact, you could still get a decent price on a 2080S or Ti when selling and get the next series(Amphere). I bet 80% of will do just that when the Ti version of Amphere comes out.

Buy now, you could fall tomorrow, smack your head and die or get it by a car/bus, stray bullet. Did you get to enjoy your new card? NO! You had to wait!

There actually isn't always something better around the corner unless around the corner to you can be up to 1.5-2 years and the 2080Ti is already over a year old, so now there actually is something better around the corner. The resale argument is a facade. It's only high because it's still a top end card. Once the new cards drop next year, values will tank. What you got for your 980Ti is an anomaly. Nothing more.

Rumors are just that... rumors. Without data, you simply play the normal PC game of "but something better may be coming up". We know first half of next year, but that could be June and likely not a Ti version of the next series. AMD and Intel are simply speculative wildcards too that may or may not be able to provide equivalent cards.

Albeit, I will admit it is somewhat late in the cycle, but a 2080Ti is still a very powerful card if you can snag one on sale or of you simply want/need the performance now and have the money available to do so.

Rumors are just that... rumors. Without data, you simply play the normal PC game of "but something better may be coming up". We know first half of next year, but that could be June and likely not a Ti version of the next series. AMD and Intel are simply speculative wildcards too that may or may not be able to provide equivalent cards.

Albeit, I will admit it is somewhat late in the cycle, but a 2080Ti is still a very powerful card if you can snag one on sale or of you simply want/need the performance now and have the money available to do so.

We don't have an official release date but we have plenty of data. We have the age of the current card, and we have many years of history with regards to life cycles and time lines for new product releases.

And then I can pick up an used 2080ti with at least 2 years warranty remaining, fine by me.
That's the problem I am attempting to illuminate. I don't expect the 2080Ti to fall in price unless you do manage to find a stellar used deal somehow. The 1080Ti held it's price for a good long while prior to dropping to about 500 USD months after the 2080Ti was already out. The 2080Ti was released at such a premium that I see it holding the same prices when the next gen cards drop.

It's like buying a car. Honda, Toyota cars tend to hold their value even when used. With some used vehicles costing just as much as they did new. Unless AMD knocks one out of the park with "Big Navi" those prices aren't dropping, even used. With next gen Nvidia cards likely to command a price premium of +200 on top of what we have already seen.

Intel cards won't be out until the middle of the year if rumors hold true and their first foray might be amazing but I highly doubt it. They will need at least one generation to work out the kinks.

Nvidia, still, has zero competition at the high end. Lets hope that changes.

That's the problem I am attempting to illuminate. I don't expect the 2080Ti to fall in price unless you do manage to find a stellar used deal somehow. The 1080Ti held it's price for a good long while prior to dropping to about 500 USD months after the 2080Ti was already out. The 2080Ti was released at such a premium that I see it holding the same prices when the next gen cards drop.

It's like buying a car. Honda, Toyota cars tend to hold their value even when used. With some used vehicles costing just as much as they did new. Unless AMD knocks one out of the park with "Big Navi" those prices aren't dropping, even used. With next gen Nvidia cards likely to command a price premium of +200 on top of what we have already seen.

Intel cards won't be out until the middle of the year if rumors hold true and their first foray might be amazing but I highly doubt it. They will need at least one generation to work out the kinks.

Nvidia, still, has zero competition at the high end. Lets hope that changes.
Of course it will fall in price, currently there are zero used 2080tis on the market. As soon as there is something newer/better people will start selling them. Right now nobody sells a 2080ti unless they are bankrupt. I see one local listing of 2080ti up for sale and I think there is definitely something shady about that seller / product.

like this
Of course it will fall in price, currently there are zero used 2080tis on the market. As soon as there is something newer/better people will start selling them. Right now nobody sells a 2080ti unless they are bankrupt. I see one local listing of 2080ti up for sale and I think there is definitely something shady about that seller / product.
Yeah, they have to be selling one of the cards that has defects that are hard to nail down/intermittent.

Wait for refresh. Hearing rumours RTX 2080 TI Super or wait little longer RTX 3080 TI later promises to be cheaper due to 7nm and Samsung chips.

I say pull the trigger if you want.

If a 3080 Ti or whatever comes out, evaluate whether it's worth the price to you at the time. Until then, you can only speculate, and frankly, if you're considering a 2080 Ti, you likely have the disposable income such that losing a couple hundred bucks selling a 2080 Ti and upgrading won't kill you. I don't see that happening for at least six months, personally, and that's six months you could spend playing games.

Upgrading is addicting I just upgraded my memory and PSU for little to no reason. People would upgrade their GPU every 6 months if they could.

Wait for refresh. Hearing rumours RTX 2080 TI Super or wait little longer RTX 3080 TI later promises to be cheaper due to 7nm and Samsung chips.

There's basically no gap between the 2080 Ti and Titan RTX because both cards are power capped, a 2080 Ti Super isn't likely to make a practical gaming difference. With the release of gsync compatible (i.e. freesync compatible), I think from a practical perspective there really isn't any difference between 2080 Ti, Super, or Titan RTX. Either buy if you need a card now or wait for next gen IMO.

I was thinking about this and from some quick googling, yeah unless you are talking about a card notched below the absolute top, the price on the top dog never goes down until the replacement comes out. Even on black friday or XMas or whatever.

The only exception I've seen is some creative coupon use which might work (eBay or less likely, the Egg) or maybe on the lower tier of a manufacturers' 2080ti line if they have multiple cards - which sounds funny to me even saying it ("lower tier 2080ti").

There's basically no gap between the 2080 Ti and Titan RTX because both cards are power capped, a 2080 Ti Super isn't likely to make a practical gaming difference. With the release of gsync compatible (i.e. freesync compatible), I think from a practical perspective there really isn't any difference between 2080 Ti, Super, or Titan RTX. Either buy if you need a card now or wait for next gen IMO.

A 15% increase in memory bandwidth will help for many larger open world games, but if you already own a 2080ti it's not worth it.

Wait for next gen. RTX 3080 ti. Its suppose to be out in first half of year unless AMD brings it out sooner. Hear Intel has video cards coming. Gonna be interesting 2020 in GPUs and CPUs.

Last edited:
Upgrading is addicting I just upgraded my memory and PSU for little to no reason. People would upgrade their GPU every 6 months if they could.

The was a time in the early 00s that you could actually do this more or less. The improvements were that substantial. Instead of getting another 10 fps at 4k, it was the difference between resolution jumps, the ability to use AA, load in textures that weren't the bare minimum, and make online coop tip that fine scale of balance a little closer to your side. Having better FPS was a massive advantage back then when most kids didn't haven't new rigs every year and had to make do with what they could find. The pc gaming industry was much harder to transition into from consoles than it is now. You pretty much had to find games you wanted to play at a physical location, and hope that you had enough space to actually install it. We've come a long way.

A 15% increase in memory bandwidth will help for many larger open world games, but if you already own a 2080ti it's not worth it.

not to mention it's basically DOA like the new Nvidia Shield Pro or BFGD displays. Being released with HDMI 2.0b ports when all hardware is on the verge of being refreshed to HDMI 2.1...

The was a time in the early 00s that you could actually do this more or less. The improvements were that substantial. Instead of getting another 10 fps at 4k, it was the difference between resolution jumps, the ability to use AA, load in textures that weren't the bare minimum, and make online coop tip that fine scale of balance a little closer to your side. Having better FPS was a massive advantage back then when most kids didn't haven't new rigs every year and had to make do with what they could find. The pc gaming industry was much harder to transition into from consoles than it is now. You pretty much had to find games you wanted to play at a physical location, and hope that you had enough space to actually install it. We've come a long way.

That was back when My buddy had a P3 450 and voodoo3.
We played Tribes on dsl and it was a glorious waste of my time.

like this
I was hoping nvidia would release the 2080ti super as a star wars edition rounds about now, but alas, no.

That they haven't done that, in any shape or form, says to me nvidia are just sitting on expensive to make chips and until AMD threatens them in anyway, and that won't till mid next year at the very earliest, they're certainly not gunna drop their prices any time soon.

I now think the Titan Xp Star Wars edition was a rarity as it came off the back of the crypto boom and I suspect nvidia had a surplus of full fat chips they could no longer sell on mass to miners. So they flogged them off in the form of the Star Wars edition cards and, rather crazily, for less than the Titan Xp, which they carried on selling for £250 more during and even after the Star Wars card had all gone OOS by March. :confused:

They certainly won't be doing that again, not with their expensive process they're currently on.

Looks like I'll get 1.5-2 years with my 2080Ti before it's outdated. Longer product cycles is going to be the norm going forward hence the inflated price for the top card. Still, you have to buy these things at launch if you want "value". No way I would consider a 2080Ti at this point if money were an object.

Looks like I'll get 1.5-2 years with my 2080Ti before it's outdated. Longer product cycles is going to be the norm going forward hence the inflated price for the top card. Still, you have to buy these things at launch if you want "value". No way I would consider a 2080Ti at this point if money were an object.

The 1080 Ti is probably the biggest performance surprise ever which is why it's still relevant nearly 3 years later (Titan X that it's based on is already over 3 years old). 2080 Ti on the other hand was a smaller performance uplift than any Ti over the last decade (780 Ti/980 Ti/1080 Ti gains were all larger). And also with no HDMI 2.1 support, I'm dubious about it's long term future, but hopefully you are right since I also bought one lol

The 1080 Ti is probably the biggest performance surprise ever which is why it's still relevant nearly 3 years later (Titan X that it's based on is already over 3 years old). 2080 Ti on the other hand was a smaller performance uplift than any Ti over the last decade (780 Ti/980 Ti/1080 Ti gains were all larger). And also with no HDMI 2.1 support, I'm dubious about it's long term future, but hopefully you are right since I also bought one lol

It's 30-40% faster than a 2080/1080ti. It's the only card remotely capable of decent frame rates in modern titles @ 4K. It's also the only card that will give decent FPS for raytraced titles @ more typical resolutions like 1440 / 1080p.

The 2080ti is fairly relevant. Yeah, it won't be worth $800 used in another year, but I could see getting $600 for a 2080ti in another year's time, it'll have around $600 in performance unless nvidia releases something that doubles the performance next year, but I doubt it. They'll release something that gives another 20-40% FPS tops for a minimum of $1k MSRP.

For reference, a 1080ti ($800) was only 20-30% faster on average compared to the 1080 ($550). Sure, it didn't cost as much, but you are making the 1080ti seem like it was 50%+ faster or something compared to the next step down. I never considered my 1080ti to be the biggest performance surprise ever at release. It was good, but for 4K it was still largely useless.

The only cards in my memory that were actually performance surprises are cards like the 8800GT/GTS, the 9700 Pro, etc.

The Nvidia G80/8800's in particular lasted a LONG time for a lot of people, and this is also evident by the fact that nvidia basically refreshed these things for two generations after.

Last edited:
The 1080 Ti is probably the biggest performance surprise ever which is why it's still relevant nearly 3 years later (Titan X that it's based on is already over 3 years old). 2080 Ti on the other hand was a smaller performance uplift than any Ti over the last decade (780 Ti/980 Ti/1080 Ti gains were all larger). And also with no HDMI 2.1 support,

I'm woefully out of date, but I thought HDMI 2.1 was added to the 2080Ti via a driver update. Is that not the case? Pretty disappointing if not since DP1.4 really isn't going to cut it for the target audience in 1-2yrs.

DP 1.4 is the best you'll get on any card right now, which at the very least gets you 4k/120hz or 8k/60hz.

I'm woefully out of date, but I thought HDMI 2.1 was added to the 2080Ti via a driver update. Is that not the case? Pretty disappointing if not since DP1.4 really isn't going to cut it for the target audience in 1-2yrs.

HDMI 2.1 requires new hardware, so no. Nvidia recently updated their Shield TV without HDMI 2.1 either, so I wonder if the same will happen if they release a 2080 Ti Super.

It's 30-40% faster than a 2080/1080ti. It's the only card remotely capable of decent frame rates in modern titles @ 4K. It's also the only card that will give decent FPS for raytraced titles @ more typical resolutions like 1440 / 1080p.

The 2080ti is fairly relevant. Yeah, it won't be worth $800 used in another year, but I could see getting $600 for a 2080ti in another year's time, it'll have around $600 in performance unless nvidia releases something that doubles the performance next year, but I doubt it. They'll release something that gives another 20-40% FPS tops for a minimum of $1k MSRP.

For reference, a 1080ti ($800) was only 20-30% faster on average compared to the 1080 ($550). Sure, it didn't cost as much, but you are making the 1080ti seem like it was 50%+ faster or something compared to the next step down. I never considered my 1080ti to be the biggest performance surprise ever at release. It was good, but for 4K it was still largely useless.

The only cards in my memory that were actually performance surprises are cards like the 8800GT/GTS, the 9700 Pro, etc.

The Nvidia G80/8800's in particular lasted a LONG time for a lot of people, and this is also evident by the fact that nvidia basically refreshed these things for two generations after.

Depends if they release a 2080 Ti Super card, then no the 2080 Ti resale value will definitely drop immediately.

They added HDMI VRR support, which is just a data packet update. Full 2.1 bandwidth requires updated hardware.

HDMI 2.1 requires new hardware, so no. Nvidia recently updated their Shield TV without HDMI 2.1 either, so I wonder if the same will happen if they release a 2080 Ti Super.

Super cards are just tweak of the current generation. They really aren't new card designs. So a 2080 Ti Super would not be HDMI 2.1 either.

I decided not to buy. F Nvidia, I'm not going to throw money at them. I'll buy a new GPU when it's price drops to what I consider reasonable. And no, $1200 for the cheapest blower 2080ti is anything but reasonable. And 2080 is overpriced as well, and wouldn't be that much of an upgrade especially for computing. What would it take for me to buy? 2080ti around $800, and 2080 around $500. So basically normal prices for last gen.

Oh, and if they don't drop prices? I'll buy used a year from now. I can still play every game I want well enough.

2080 Super is good enough without costing an outrageous sum. Or just wait for the 3080 Super, that will be faster than the 2080 Ti but cost more in the $700-800 range instead of $1000-1200.

2080 Super is good enough without costing an outrageous sum. Or just wait for the 3080 Super, that will be faster than the 2080 Ti but cost more in the $700-800 range instead of $1000-1200.
I'm more concerned by computing than gaming performance, and from what I saw a 2080 is not faster than a 1080ti in that, so I might as well buy an used 1080ti at that point. But going from 1080-> 1080ti is not a large enough upgrade to be worth the trouble and money.

I'm more concerned by computing than gaming performance, and from what I saw a 2080 is not faster than a 1080ti in that, so I might as well buy an used 1080ti at that point. But going from 1080-> 1080ti is not a large enough upgrade to be worth the trouble and money.
The 2080 Ti is 50-70% faster in GPC and compute applications than the 1080 Ti, so for that use it actually makes more sense as an upgrade than for gaming (20-30% faster).

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia-rtx2080ti-compute&num=1

Refresh is first quarter of 2020. Personally, I'm going to wait.
There may not be any 2080Ti Super.
Amper is second quarter but maybe more probably be end of first quarter. You will get twice better performance for twice cheaper.
Why not wait a quarter more ?

Because of Ampere there will never be an Nvidia Killer at AMD in 2020 whatever they call their Navi 23 GPU.

There may not be any 2080Ti Super.
Amper is second quarter but maybe more probably be end of first quarter. You will get twice better performance for twice cheaper.
Why not wait a quarter more ?

Because of Ampere there will never be an Nvidia Killer at AMD in 2020 whatever they call their Navi 23 GPU.

Knowing Nvidia's typical cadence it's probably going to be a small die that comes out first. x80 Ampere will be 10-15% faster than Titan RTX for $799 FE. Reason why the next x80 won't have a 980 Ti to 1080 increase of 30% from die shrink is because the 2080 Ti is gigantic--754mm2 is 25% bigger than 601mm2 of 980 Ti.

You'll have to wait for 2021 for the big Titan/Ti Ampere card.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Back