Business class laptop suggestions?

BGK

Limp Gawd
I'm getting a laptop paid through a scholarship, I will probably get it within the next month. I'd a like a good, powerful, all around laptop. No bigger than 15", under $3000.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 15" rMBP with maxed out specs. I don't think I need the super high res (I'm doing fine with 1680×1050), but I do greatly appreciate a quality display. Is there anything else worth considering?

Well if you're a fan of Macs, then obviously get the Mac. It's a good machine.

Otherwise check out Dell Latitudes and Thinkpad T series for some basic machines in various sizes. Check out Dell Precisions and Thinkpad W series for the "higher end" versions of the above.

Yeah if you like the MBP...get that...OR...custom build what you want through someone like...Malibal...

If you like macs, buy the Mac.

Business class Lenovos are the Xs, for Toshiba its the Porteges, other than that most of the higher priced Sonys are good. I wouldn't buy a Dell laptop. They are relatively basic in comparison and heavy like some of the Sonys.

Sounds like you already made your decision. What's the purpose of the post? If you want a mac, there's no way anybody can convince you to get anything else, there's clearly no substitute.

Sounds like you already made your decision. What's the purpose of the post? If you want a mac, there's no way anybody can convince you to get anything else, there's clearly no substitute.
he asked for other recommendations.

Lenovo thinkpads
Dell latitudes
HP elitebooks

double check, but I believe hp elitebooks come with a 3-year warranty by default.

The Lenovo T430/530 are great laptops, more business oriented than gaming.
All around great machines

The Latitude E6 series would be 3 year warranty as well, as would the Precisions.

Personally, I prefer the Elitebooks, but the Dell Outlet is really REALLY hard to beat in pricing/performance.

I just wish Lenovo's outlet didn't downgrade everything to a 1 year warranty then make things hard to upgrade (although this might have been resolved in the almost 4 years since I've bought an outlet Thinkpad).

If your top priority is a nice screen in a 15" laptop, then consider an HP 8570w with DreamColor2 display. Here is one from Cost Central. Otherwise you can customize one from HP, just be sure to call a rep, you should be able to get ~25% off List price of the on-line configurator. (if you order it on line w/o calling an agent, you only get 20% off).

The Lenovo T430/530 are great laptops, more business oriented than gaming.
All around great machines

The only downside is the absolute garbage screens Lenovo is putting in those laptops. They're great if you like only seeing blacks as shades of grey.

Back