Burning Smell Studio 540+HD4670

HFrook

n00b
After doing some research I was told by multiple people with the same config that my studio 540 and stock PSU could handle a 4670 since I needed to upgrade to a dual dvi card. Its been about 3 months in and now there is a smell like something is burning coming from the PSU. Wonder if anyone has this config and can point me to a diff PSU? Maybe it isnt the video card?

Just curious, how did you narrow it down to PSU? Disassemble? Cuz PSUs draw air in from the case and blow it out.

And have you checked to make sure your fans are spinning correctly on everything? And is the PSU overly warm/hot to the touch in any particular place when this smell is happening?

Burning smell could be as simple as a bug crawled in is baking on a heatsink.

Good Question. I just smelled the PSU, and assumed it was that. Only fan I haven't checked is the fan on the bottom of the Graphic Card. I'm currently using the PC creating the smell so I will check now.

Which program do you recommend to check fan speed and how do I know what a fan regularly spins at?

Easiest way to see if there's a problem is to pop the side off your case and check to see if the fans are spinning by just looking at them. You might even find the thing that's cooking in the process.

If there's a burning smell and it hasn't went away then you should figure this out pretty quick instead of continuing to use it. If it gets stronger, you should get the computer turned off and start unhooking stuff you want to save until you figure out which smells.

Another thing is, is smells like it's burning. But......like what? Electronics usually have a pretty distinctive smell to them.

If it's not that, then you might have a big dust ball in there plugging up something.

As for temperature of air coming out of the PSU, I can't go on any experience but my own. It's usually warm, like 80-90 degrees F...but it's going to vary on the temp of your room..it's about 77ish I'd guess for me.

If PSU isn't hot to the touch...then you really need to pop the side off your case and see if you can figure out what is causing the smell. And if you have to, power it off and take things out to see if they smell like the culprit. Could be your computer sucked something in through the intake and blew it into the CPU heat sink or video card heatsink and it's getting hot and smelling. Won't know until you look inside.

Easiest way to see if there's a problem is to pop the side off your case and check to see if the fans are spinning by just looking at them. You might even find the thing that's cooking in the process.

If there's a burning smell and it hasn't went away then you should figure this out pretty quick instead of continuing to use it. If it gets stronger, you should get the computer turned off and start unhooking stuff you want to save until you figure out which smells.

Another thing is, is smells like it's burning. But......like what? Electronics usually have a pretty distinctive smell to them.

If it's not that, then you might have a big dust ball in there plugging up something.

As for temperature of air coming out of the PSU, I can't go on any experience but my own. It's usually warm, like 80-90 degrees F...but it's going to vary on the temp of your room..it's about 77ish I'd guess for me.

If PSU isn't hot to the touch...then you really need to pop the side off your case and see if you can figure out what is causing the smell. And if you have to, power it off and take things out to see if they smell like the culprit. Could be your computer sucked something in through the intake and blew it into the CPU heat sink or video card heatsink and it's getting hot and smelling. Won't know until you look inside.

Thanks for the replies Veterator. Case is off, all fans are spinning just fine, I took out a straw and am trying to smell each individual component, but still the smell only is coming from the exhaust. The smell is much fainter now, I'd say the air coming out was about 8x degrees. Maybe the box just needs a good dusting, will let you know after I clean it out.

Well if you can only smell it coming out the back of the PSU, then you were probably right to begin with. Only question now is if it was something that got in there and got cooked or if it's the PSU internals cooking themselves. If you can't find something else that caused the smell, or blow something out of the PSU to explain it...then I'd be prepared to replace it.

And I have no idea what a dell machine could possibly allow for substitutes because a lot of them were proprietary in how they hooked into the case and meant you had to replace the whole case......and that usually meant replacing the motherboard too. They may have changed this at some point, but I haven't worked with too many varieties of them over the years.

Back