Burning plastic smell from new UPS

Gabe3

2[H]4U
I just got my cyberpower UPS: http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/browse-by-category/intelligent-lcd-ups/CP1000AVRLCD.html

While I was taking it out of the box I noticed it already had a funk to it. Like burning plastic or something. Its really funks the room up, like everywhere I have carried it in the house you can tell. Its charging up in the garage and I'm hoping the smell goes away soon because I plan to use it in my bedroom where I have a bird and they are sensitive to smells. Plus it was giving me a headache just being around it. I had the same smell when I first got my playstation 3 but that only lasted like a day so I hope its the same deal with this.

any thoughts?

Ahhh the "new electronics " smell.

its either cheap new plastic outgassing and/or the oil film on some of the power electonics burning off.

It should go away in a couple of days, if not then I would start worrying. You could charge it up good and then yank the plug out of the wall and let it go into UPS mode for a bit to really heat it up and it might help burn off the gunk faster. Not a bad test to make sure the thing is really working anyway.

Take it back.
Its likely got too much plasticiser left from a bad plastic mix/molding process or something is heating the plastic up which you can smell.
Either way its not good for you.

I'm gonna give it a couple days and call cyberpower tomorrow. Its the same smell my PS3 had when I got it so I'm not extremely worried about it depending how long it lasts.

I called cyber power today and a guy said it can take 1-2 for the smell to go away and in rare cases the smell never totally goes away. I asked what causes the smell and its "coating on the transformer". My whole room smelled like it yesterday so I moved my bird into another room for the night and today it seems like the smell is much better. I moved the bird back in tonight so if hes alive tomorrow I know its ok. The cyberpower rep did say the smell is non-toxic and "shouldn't hurt the bird"

I called cyber power today and a guy said it can take 1-2 for the smell to go away and in rare cases the smell never totally goes away. I asked what causes the smell and its "coating on the transformer". My whole room smelled like it yesterday so I moved my bird into another room for the night and today it seems like the smell is much better. I moved the bird back in tonight so if hes alive tomorrow I know its ok. The cyberpower rep did say the smell is non-toxic and "shouldn't hurt the bird"
Gabe3 What was the outcome of this? Did the smell go away?

Back