"Burning" in Speakers?

Most likely not. Burn-in is quite possibly all placebo effect; I've only seen one example of somebody bothering to test it [with 2500$ speakers, and by actual musicians] and they weren't able to discern a difference. Most likely, you'll just get used to the brand of sound your speakers make, and they will seem to have changed. Remember, if you spend time looking for a change, your brain will make it happen, even if all the variables are the same.

Remember, if you spend time looking for a change, your brain will make it happen, even if all the variables are the same.

It's like giving high school kids non-alcoholic beer...they act like dumb shits until they found out it was non-alcoholic. It's mostly psycological...

I would have to disagree with you there, but it depends on the quality of your speakers. The average set of PC speakers dont really need running in as the quality of the drive units isnt really up to much. However, high end hi-fi speakers with expensive driver units benefit from a few hours of being driven hard before you start lidtening to them critically. The drivers as from the factory can be a bit tight and need loosening up before they are working at their most efficient.

egon_dude said:
I would have to disagree with you there, but it depends on the quality of your speakers. The average set of PC speakers dont really need running in as the quality of the drive units isnt really up to much. However, high end hi-fi speakers with expensive driver units benefit from a few hours of being driven hard before you start lidtening to them critically. The drivers as from the factory can be a bit tight and need loosening up before they are working at their most efficient.

Go look on avsforum, there is a sprawling thread about this, and the guy doing the test [craigsub] said that there was no improvement, comparing a straight-from-the-factory speaker to one he had for about a month. The speakers in question were these:

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=25.1

Not exactly PC speakers. I'm not saying some don't benefit from it, but I'd attribute more to pyschoacoustics than mechanical change.

Eli: Good analogy =]

It isn't like it will hurt them to play them for a few hours, gradually turning up the volume.

These will be Klipsch Promedia 2.1 (non GMX)

This all depends on if I get them used or new from ebay.

thanks for the input! :D

eli said:
It's like giving high school kids non-alcoholic beer...they act like dumb shits until they found out it was non-alcoholic. It's mostly psycological...
that actually happened to me in the science lab LOL how should i know the difference between achoholic beer and non-alcoholic? :p

i think you do need to burn them in. when i first got my speakers they werent too loud. but now they are super loud after a couple days use (without changing any equilizer settings). however, the sound quality seems to be about the same. i dont think volume is a placebo affect, because its easy to tell a difference between "these speakers arent too loud" and "damnit my ears hurt" :D

Burning in may have been something you had to do with older speakers, and perhaps with high end ones, but now you really shouldn't notice any difference.

I think most of the whole thing is just that you get used to hearing the speakers and they start to sound better.

that actually happened to me in the science lab LOL how should i know the difference between achoholic beer and non-alcoholic?

hahaha....right on.

Yea, you guys don't need to fret over this so much. Just play music, if something changes, cool, if not, it's not the end of the world either.

but, yes it is the end of the world!!! i see a meteor headed right at my house.

better think twice before speaking next time ;-) haahaha

i dont feel any different...

quick, someone flame kyle and find out if he's alive!

i dont know which kind of flame you meant....... but he's in ashes now.

Back