Burning DVD files with Nero. . . ".IFO, .BUP, .VOB"

Scheizekopf

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey everybody. Hope everyone had a good New Years Eve. Mine was fun.

I'm using Nero 6 SE OEM 6.3.1.19 and NeroVision Express 2.1.2.17

So I'm trying to burn a DVD. I just burnt my first one yesterday. All I could burn was the .VOB files. It worked and it plays on the dvd player that I have. It's just movie. No other information

With the .VOB files i have 2 ".BUP" files and 2 ".IFO" files.

Are these supposed to be included on the DVD also? And how do I do it? It wont let me.

A standard DVD has two subdirectories from the root.
VIDEO_TS
AUDIO_TS

All the files are in the VIDEO_TS folder. The AUDIO_TS folder is almost always empty, but since it is part of the standard, you should still include it. Some players won't play DVD's that don't have a AUDIO_TS folder.

If you tell Nero you are burning a DVD Video, it will automatically create both folders and make sure your files are compliant.

BUF = backup file of the IFO
IFO = contains all the data to control how the video should be played (InFOrmation file)
VOB = contains the video, audio and subtitles

Try VideoHelp as a good starting point for video basics. You are entering a dark and forbidding world of alleged standards and experimentation. Have fun!!! :)

Other good spots are After Dawn and Doom9 .

I tried 2 different ways.

1. Burned the files to the dvd as a data dvd.
2. Burned a dvd video withe the .vob files.

When I did the first one it worked and had the whole movie but only the first chapter had sound.

When I did it the second way it's just pure video and sound automatically without any menu or titles.

I guess the second way is the way to go with Nero.

This is where the DVD authoring tools come into play. Nerovision Express, Ulead MovieFactory, Adobe Encore, etc. all are designed to let you generate menus and arrange video clips into a standard DVD.

Typically, I will use the DVD authoring tool to generate all the menus and tie in the video clips. Then, I write it to a folder on the hard disk. This gives me all the standard DVD files (buf, vob, ifo) in one place.

Start Nero, tell Nero I want to burn a DVD-Video, and then add the files. This way, I get Nero to verify the compilation after it burns it. You can burn the DVD directly from most authoring tools, but none of the DVD authoring tools I have used lets you verify the compilation after the burn.

Yea I like how you do a Video DVD in NeroVision Express. It works good and you can put the menu at the beginning.

*edit....sorry, posted a reply in the wrong thread! :p

dang you Mozilla and your tabbed browsing! :D

i use TMPGEncDVDAuthor, works pretty good for my uses, after it creates the the DVD folder i use the built in burning tool to create an ISO file.

that way i can mount it with a virtual drive and check to see that all the menus and chapters are working before wasting a DVD.

Back