Burning: Canon Powershot S95 $229

nakedhand

2[H]4U
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
holy fuck, that was $400 two months ago. i had the S60 and it was by far the best camera i've ever used. in for 1! :D

This is a fantastic camera for a fantastic price. I bought one before I went down to the Caribbean for a month and together with Canon's underwater housing I got a lot of great pictures.

For $229 this is a no-brainer if you need a pocketable camera.

This is an amazing price for a fantastic camera. Fairly wide focal length and the F/2.0 aperture makes for easy and usable low light shots. It can shoot completely manual in RAW, a lot of people use it as a complement to their SLR. The auto mode is accurate and results in great photos.

I got one earlier this year for $375 and would've paid more. For $230 this is an absolute steal even if you're not in the market for a new camera. And don't fret over the S100 being out now, unless you want GPS tagging there's really nothing that you'll look at and wish the S95 had.

I would have hopped on this if I wouldn't have just gotten my S100 for $370 last week.

The built in ND filter on the S100 is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on the S95. :(

Snagged. Thanks for the heads-up!

Take note, too, that this qualifies for free one-day shipping. For my location (Chicago) there's about fifty minutes left to have it delivered tomorrow.

Yeah, looks like a great cam, but since it has a lot of manual options, it's probably not for those looking for a simple P&S. In my case, I am for my parents. Too bad the stock lens only has 3.8X zoom, when other cams in that price range have up to 14X, such as Canon's PowerShot SX230 HS.

Checked out Ebay in hopes that my S90 would fetch enough coin for this to be a worthwhile upgrade, but alas, I'd be spending an additional $75-100 and that's just not worth it. The S90 is good enough for me.

Yeah, looks like a great cam, but since it has a lot of manual options, it's probably not for those looking for a simple P&S. In my case, I am for my parents. Too bad the stock lens only has 3.8X zoom, when other cams in that price range have up to 14X, such as Canon's PowerShot SX230 HS.

Are you trying to say you are surprised that a pocket camera doesnt have a telephoto lens?

OMG!

;)

Wow I bought one of these for 289 about a month ago think I can get an adjustment?

BTW this is a great point and shoot. It takes real good pictures we were trying to decide between this and much more expensive DSLRs. Right now in the camera business there is really very little reason to buy a point and shoot unless you are buying a very nice one like this. Otherwise just move up to a DSLR if you can afford it because phone cameras are getting so good the cheaper cameras are not worth it.

EDIT, heh I am kinda mad but this is a lesson for anyone else if you see a deal like this and you had the item just buy it. I called to get a price adjutment and got a run around finally they told me no they wont adjust it, so I said fine I will buy a new one and return it. And sure enough when I tried to buy it, it was out of stock. So I think she purposely gave me the run around know this would happen. Next time buy first ask for adjustment later then cancel the old order.

Last edited:

I don't agree with this. It's great that the S95 gives full manual control for those who want it, but it is still one of the best P&S's on Auto with excellent image quality.

I don't agree with this. It's great that the S95 gives full manual control for those who want it, but it is still one of the best P&S's on Auto with excellent image quality.

The S90 was considered kinda poor for auto mode, but I did hear that the S95 improved on that. I only have the S90, and I indeed don't like the auto mode much. Though, in reality, it still beats most other P&S cameras. It just doesn't come close to showing off what the camera can do.

The S90 was considered kinda poor for auto mode, but I did hear that the S95 improved on that. I only have the S90, and I indeed don't like the auto mode much. Though, in reality, it still beats most other P&S cameras. It just doesn't come close to showing off what the camera can do.

At the very least it doesn't take much to teach people how to use the semi-auto modes (Av and Tv, aperture priority and shutter priority, respectively). Those are the 2 modes I use 99% of the time, including on my Canon 60D.

It still takes better pictures than almost all PS cameras.

But, yes, it does not have a huge zoom.

Showing as $299 for me. Am I missing something?

out of stock, the $299 price is from a different seller because amazon is out of stock.

I'm quite surprised it lasted as long as it did, it was on stock at that price for about 13 hours

At the very least it doesn't take much to teach people how to use the semi-auto modes (Av and Tv, aperture priority and shutter priority, respectively). Those are the 2 modes I use 99% of the time, including on my Canon 60D.

Yeah, I almost always have mine in shutter speed priority. I have essential tremors (translation: I have shaky hands) and the absolute limit for shutter speed for me is 1/80; 1/100 or faster is a much safer bet.

Are you trying to say you are surprised that a pocket camera doesnt have a telephoto lens?

OMG!

;)
The SX230 HS I mentioned is roughly the same size as the S95 and has a 14X zoom. The Elph 310 HS is smaller than this camera but has an 8X zoom.

So with this firesale at $229, is Canon clearing out the inventory for the new model? I presume they'll make an announcement at CES next month.

The SX230 HS I mentioned is roughly the same size as the S95 and has a 14X zoom. The Elph 310 HS is smaller than this camera but has an 8X zoom.

Then buy one of those. They have worse sensors, worse lenses, don't shoot RAW, etc. Why you would compare a crappy travel zoom camera (in which the ONLY positive point is the zoom) to a great camera like the S95 is beyond me.

Then buy one of those. They have worse sensors, worse lenses, don't shoot RAW, etc. Why you would compare a crappy travel zoom camera (in which the ONLY positive point is the zoom) to a great camera like the S95 is beyond me.
The sensor size is the same, I believe. It's when you get to 4/3 that the sensor size is noticeably larger. And of course larger yet for SLRs.

The sensor size is the same, I believe. It's when you get to 4/3 that the sensor size is noticeably larger. And of course larger yet for SLRs.

Nope, it's not the same. 1/1.7" for the S95, 1/2.3" for the SX230 HS. The S95 beats the SX230 in every single category except zoom. It's a MUCH better camera all around.

So with this firesale at $229, is Canon clearing out the inventory for the new model? I presume they'll make an announcement at CES next month.

I guess to add to the rain parade, the S100 is already out, I have one, not sure what announcement they would be making.

The long and short of it is the SX230 is great if you are the average consumer and don't care about better IQ like most don't

Nope, it's not the same. 1/1.7" for the S95, 1/2.3" for the SX230 HS. The S95 beats the SX230 in every single category except zoom. It's a MUCH better camera all around.
Thanks for the correction.
I guess to add to the rain parade, the S100 is already out, I have one, not sure what announcement they would be making.

The long and short of it is the SX230 is great if you are the average consumer and don't care about better IQ like most don't
Yeah, I read that somewhere on SlickDeals that S95 is the close-out model in preparation for the S100. Does that mean Canon won't release a new version at next month's CES? :confused:

Yeah, I read that somewhere on SlickDeals that S95 is the close-out model in preparation for the S100. Does that mean Canon won't release a new version at next month's CES? :confused:

The S100 is the direct successor to the S95. It hasn't been widely available, but it has been available for months now.

Canon announces / releases new Sxx models in august or september, never ever at CES. S90 announced in august 2009, S95 announced in august 2010, S100 in early september this year iirc.

Would probably get this if I didn't buy the Nikon P300 last week for $269. Not at all regretting it though, the P300 is awesome (if you don't need RAW)

The S100 is the direct successor to the S95. It hasn't been widely available, but it has been available for months now.

Canon announces / releases new Sxx models in august or september, never ever at CES. S90 announced in august 2009, S95 announced in august 2010, S100 in early september this year iirc.

Would probably get this if I didn't buy the Nikon P300 last week for $269. Not at all regretting it though, the P300 is awesome (if you don't need RAW)

Ahh, I see, thanks. I wanted to get the S95 for our father, but my brother said it's still too big, so we're now looking at the Elph 310 and will pull the trigger soon.

What the heck is your brother's criteria for size? Most people already say that the S90/95/100 are too small to comfortably hold. The Elph is hardly smaller. My S90 is easily small enough for a child to comfortably hold (though it was too expensive for me to let that happen).

If you guys choose the Elph then that's your decision, but I personally wonder about how much I'd trust someone like your brother to pick out electronics.

What the heck is your brother's criteria for size? Most people already say that the S90/95/100 are too small to comfortably hold. The Elph is hardly smaller. My S90 is easily small enough for a child to comfortably hold (though it was too expensive for me to let that happen).

If you guys choose the Elph then that's your decision, but I personally wonder about how much I'd trust someone like your brother to pick out electronics.
OK, let me backtrack. The camera my father currently has is 3.x MP from 2003 (I believe). It's a Pentax Optio something. It literally is small enough to fit in an Altoids tin can. In fact, my father uses that as his camera case. The camera still works OK, but it's showing signs of dying.

So, my siblings and I have decided to buy him a replacement camera. We haven't told, him, it's a surprise, and it doesn't matter if it arrives a week or 2 after X-mas. So far, we just told our father we'd help him research a new camera and my brother has been mostly talking to him. And he said my father keeps stressing "small" and "easy to use". Those are the main criteria.

According to Canon's website, the size and weight specs of these 2 cams are:
S95: 3.93 x 2.30 x 1.16 in. (99.8 x 58.4 x 29.5mm), Approx. 6.00 oz. / 170g (camera body only)
Elph 310 HS: 3.77 x 2.24 x 0.87 in (95.8 x 56.8 x 22.1 mm), Approx. 4.27 oz. / 121 g (Camera body only)

A smart phone or a mp3 player with a camera will fit in an altoids can. And that is what most people have found. You either want a good picture that will be delivered by one of these high end point and shoots or a DSLR, or you get an mp3 player / smartphone. The camera selection has been dwindling and making them small does not make any sense anymore if you cannot smash image quality of smart phones. Cameras cost almost as much and do nothing other than take pics. I am curious as to why your dad does not just use his phone.

I agree. A camera that size is a useless novelty that camera phones have replaced. Also, your numbers confirm what I already said: The Elph is hardly smaller. If you want to buy him the Elph than go for it. I think the reasoning you gave is terrible, but you are not required to listen to me or logic.

I agree. A camera that size is a useless novelty that camera phones have replaced. Also, your numbers confirm what I already said: The Elph is hardly smaller. If you want to buy him the Elph than go for it. I think the reasoning you gave is terrible, but you are not required to listen to me or logic.

Not... quite.

I am not sure who you are, or what cameras you regularly use, but I am a semi-pro photographer who has about $10,000 in different equipment currently (including an iphone 4S).

The S95 is a LOT better than the iphone. It simply gathers a LOT more light, and has a lens that allows you to actually take photographs, rather than smudges.

You might be right that phone cameras have replaced P&S cameras ... for recording drunk nights with the bros. But for taking photos, there is still a light year of difference.

Ya I like how people forgotten the difference between a decent point and shoot compared to a phone.

Not... quite.

I am not sure who you are, or what cameras you regularly use, but I am a semi-pro photographer who has about $10,000 in different equipment currently (including an iphone 4S).

The S95 is a LOT better than the iphone. It simply gathers a LOT more light, and has a lens that allows you to actually take photographs, rather than smudges.

You might be right that phone cameras have replaced P&S cameras ... for recording drunk nights with the bros. But for taking photos, there is still a light year of difference.

I'm fairly certain that he was posting in support of the S95 and saying that getting something marginally smaller (ELPH) just for the sake of something smaller doesn't make a lot of sense.

It really goes to prove the point that most consumers just flat out don't care.
My fiancee has used my S100 and her ELPH 310 HS and doesn't know the difference whatsoever.

It's probably better off that he isn't getting the S95 for his dad as it would quite literally go to waste

Back