Burning a DVD takes 1hr 30min w/ 4x?

BoyBlunder

[H]ard|Gawd
How long does it take to burn a DVD at 4x speed? I don't think it's an hour and a half...

I'm using the latest version of Nero, Ritek G04 DVD-R media, and my burner in my sig. When I'm ready to burn in Nero, it says "Remaining time: 15:xx", so I think it'll take 15 min to burn a 4.7gb DVD.

WRONG.

It takes over an hour and a half. When the remaining time counter reaches zero, Nero continues to burn (it's still at only 15% burned?) and it stops an hour and a half later.

And yes, the DVD works.

What's the problem here?

Only takes me about 14-15 minutes to burn at 4X with an full DVD, it could be just Nero, try updating your version of Nero and see of that helps.

Damn, thats weird, is the drive actually still burning after the 15 minutes? Or is it just doing the lead out thing (i got a mate when he burned the dvd, afterwards it would get stuck on the final stages with 'leadout', he just reset the PC afterwards so the burner would eject the dvd, the dvd burnt worked perfectly afterwards).

That is strange. I have a Plextor 708A and I burn 4x -r discs in about 15 minutes. Maybe you need to reinstall Nero.

is it possible that you're confusing burning with encoding the movie files in dvd format?

or are you burning copyrighted DVDs?
i heard that some recording software burns junk onto your disk if thats the case..

is it possible that you're confusing burning with encoding the movie files in dvd format?

No, I've already encoded the DVDs to my HD using DVD Decrypter/DVD Shrink.

Are you copying a dvd or burning an image file?

I'm not copying anything; I'm burning all the files I have in the \VIDEO_TS\ folder.

As of this moment, I'm reinstalling Nero.

Well, since you're only burning the files, if it's burning properly, it should take only 15 minutes.

After reinstalling Nero, I believe I have the same problem.

I'm only at 3% and I have 10min remaining? I don't think it's going to do another 97% within 10 min.

Make sure your burner is in dma mode. It kind of sounds like your in PIO.

Is your burner on the same IDE cable as the HD you are copying from??

Also ditch Nero and try Stomp RecordNow MAX, a much more reliable proggy IMHO.;)

mine's a snail , but w/dvd xcopy , 40 mins from read to finish
(retail DVD movie)

Originally posted by RUMBUGGER
Is your burner on the same IDE cable as the HD you are copying from??

Also ditch Nero and try Stomp RecordNow MAX, a much more reliable proggy IMHO.;)

A man after my own heart!

I had a similar problem with Nero and my Plexy. I had the DVD-R on my RAID controller (set up as IDE, not RAID). When I switched it to Master on IDE2 (HDD as Master on IDE1), boom! 8x burning goodness.

Also check that WinXP isn't recognizing the DVD as it finishes burning and tries to AutoPlay it. That used to be a problem with Win9x, but I have AutoPlay turned off on all my drives, and don't know if WinXP has similar issues...

had a similar problem with Nero and my Plexy. I had the DVD-R on my RAID controller (set up as IDE, not RAID). When I switched it to Master on IDE2 (HDD as Master on IDE1), boom! 8x burning goodness

funny that you should mention that , cuz mine will only work as master on the middle ide ribbon connector (my yami is slave on end of ide ribbon)

I have the same burner but use DVD Decrypter to rip and CloneCDv2 to encode/edit/burn. From the time I open the tray to until the movie is done takes me 30-40 min, the longest part due to encoding. What speed do you rip at? Just asking, because alot of people don't know about the "hold down the eject button trick" on the 708A. I use the Verbatim 4x DVDR+ discs from Sam's ($46 for a 50 pack spindle...wooo hooo) to burn to, and haven't had a bad burn yet.

I had the same problem on my w2k partition, on my XP it was fine so nothing to do with how the burner was hooked up.

I simply reinstalled mobo drivers, in my case nForce2 drivers, and it was good, a whole DVD in 15mins.

After you have exhausted all the O/S options, it may be down to a faulty burner, see if you can borrow a burner to try out in your system, if that works o.k. then replace yours.

Originally posted by TechHead
A man after my own heart!

I learned the hard way, after a steady stream of coasters! NEVER had a coaster with Stomp RecordNow MAX.......'nuff said.:)

i've used nero for years for CD's and i dont remeber ever making a coaster with it :rolleyes:

Maybe it's throttling down to 1x.
I burn files on my P3 733 and it takes 12-14 minutes with my Lite on DVD-R.

Originally posted by ciggy50
i've used nero for years for CD's and i dont remeber ever making a coaster with it :rolleyes:

Thats all well and good, but how many DVD'S have you burned with Nero?, i've not had that many CD coasters with Nero over the years, but i've certainly had a higher percentage of DVD's go belly up.....

Oddly enough, the earlier "5" series of Nero seems more reliable than this later"6" series....

Back