Burned out silenced 9800 pro, what now?

chomsky

Limp Gawd
I recently built a PC for a friend and I went with a 9800 pro from newegg and I bought a arctic cooling silencer for it from svc. I installed it and everything was fine and about a week and a half later he calls me up and said he was playing a game and the screen went black and now it doesn't work. Since I put on the silencer what can he do as far as rma'ing goes?
Thanks in advance

Can't rma it, when you took out stock fan, you voided warranty so sending it in will do nothing.

ugh, that's so unfair. I take it Arctic Cooling doesn't take responsibility for these things?

Nope. Gotta be careful with those things. It is like opening tv and messing around with it. Then company will not warranty on whatever you touched and void the warranty.

Slap the stock cooler back on and RMA it's ass. And use the ATiSilencer next time; they have much better mounting.

if you have the old fan, you could try slapping it back on and trying to RMA it...no guarentees though...that also really really lame...but do waht you want

xSyzygy666x said:
if you have the old fan, you could try slapping it back on and trying to RMA it...no guarentees though...that also really really lame...but do waht you want

and don't let that conscience get in the way.. it's okay that's it's fraud...

I put an Artic Silencer on my 9800 pro earlier this year and I began to get artifacting, so I replaced the fan with the stock one and RMA'd it. Just make sure it looks stock.............

I put an Artic Silencer on my 9800 pro earlier this year and I began to get artifacting, so I replaced the fan with the stock one and RMA'd it. Just make sure it looks stock.............
And let honest customers pay for it. Great plan....

It also turned out that the 256 bit card I paid for was the 128bit garbage card...........So I now have the one I PAID for.

Flo said:
And let honest customers pay for it. Great plan....
No, but I can let you stay an idiot. When will people find out that prices for these things are purely arbitrary? They could sell them for much less, if they wanted to.

I say take it like a man, you knew the risks before modding the card, now live w/ the consequences.

RMA'ing modded stuff is just wrong.

this is one time that i would say to go ahead and dump ethics in the trash... just go on a bender later so you can't remember...

or you could try to fix it. post pics, i can help (i hope)

starhawk said:
this is one time that i would say to go ahead and dump ethics in the trash... just go on a bender later so you can't remember...

or you could try to fix it. post pics, i can help (i hope)

Over ~$200 it's okay to "dump ethics in the trash"?

How much money would it be for murder to be ok, in your eyes? "just this once"

$350 ?

It doesn't matter if it's once, or every time. Criminal Fraud is criminal fraud.

Yes, the punishment should fit the crime (this is why martha stewart should be up for 10,000 years.. since muggers who get 50 bucks get 6 months...

i would actually argue that the warranty is still in effect.

the product was not damaged by the silencer. it was already defective prior to the silencer being placed on the product. therefore, the product would have failed earlier than its projected lifetime even without the silencer.

the warranty is intended to allow the consumer to replace a product that was defective due to a manufacturer's error without incurring expense. that is, a product that was built wrong at the factory should be returned at the cost of the manufacturer because it's not the fault of the person who bought it.

because the product was already defective at the time the silencer was placed on it, it is within the spirit of the law to continue the warranty's effect. the product should be returned for a nondefective replacement.

I would say put stock fan on and RMA it. You were put in an aqward situation ... you try a nvsilencer and neither company will take responsibility. So ... just make them .... put stock back on and RMA it.

I know im over it ...

I say if you plan to mod anything, run it for a month w/o any mods to make sure it runs in spec. If it dies, then RMA....but as soon as you start fucking with parts, I say the risk is now in your hands....you threw the dice, and lost....take the loss like a man.

Back