Burned out on gaming.. still love hardware.

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
I'm a bit lost on what to do.. I've been a gamer forever, did the livestreaming thing for a while which I really enjoyed, but life and bills got in the way of that. Now I just can't get into gaming at all, been about 2 months and I just can't sit and get into a game for anything.

But I still love high end hardware, I just don't have any real excuse anymore to justify it heh.

I've been getting more and more into networking, so thats been helping my HAS (hardware acquisition syndrome), but I need a reason to have a high end desktop, so I can buy me some Ryzen or X99 stuff :p

Any suggestions?

Reactions: psy81
like this
None here but I'll be watching this because I have the same thing going through my head...I have an i7 4820k OC'd to 4.2ghz on liquid cooling with 32gb of DDR3 and an R9 280X in my desktop and do you know what I do? Youtube and email with an occasional movie watch. I just don't have much desire to play games any more and that makes me sad :( I used to play for hours a day and hell, I don't even have a TV hooked up to my Xbox right now! How do I feel young again?!

Maybe get into virtualization? If you have/can get a static IP, I've been considering setting up a backup system for my family's computers and pictures. Setting up basically more like a family calendar and photo sharing, so we can store high quality photos without the degraded quality when you post online, and post events which is especially good for me, someone who doesn't get on Facebook or most other social media.

Video editing and 3D rendering are both all time favorites to eat any sized hardware budgets.

I only seem to play one game now, Overwatch, can't seem to get into other games anymore, bought BF1 and the expansions but have only played the game for a couple of hours in SP mode.

I ended up selling my old gaming system and bought this dual xeon setup and moved it to an Air 540 case and added a pair of AIO cooler, don't use it much, mainly as a downloading machine since all my usenet tools are on it.
Other than that it just sits there idling along, but I like looking at it.
IMG_0906.JPG

going to see about getting some plates so that I can convert the 140 fan holes in the top to 120mm so that I can rotate the coolers, the stock 120mm fan holes are too close together.
And I'll be removing the USB2 and E-SATA/Firewire expansion brackets since it looks too cluttered and I won't be using them.

Start making games. Use UE4 or Unity, gives you an excuse to have high end hardware and also keeps your mind occupied. UE4 is nice because you don't have to know programming.

Distributed Computing.

Join your Fellow [H] brothers on the quest to dominate the rankings.

https://hardforum.com/forums/distributed-computing.32/

Careful though, it's addicting. I'm currently folding F@H with 6x 980 Ti, 2x 970 GPUs and I have World Community Grid running on all those rigs plus 3 AMD 4P (Quad processor) rigs. Seriously running out of outlets to plug my hardware in.

Back