Burn in Using an HDTV as a Monitor

9mmx19

[H]ard|Gawd
Im curious about what kind of TVs can be damaged by use as a monitor. My understanding is that burn in happens to CRTs and not any of the new technologies in HDTVs (LCD, LCD projection, DLP, plasma). Are there other risks to using a TV (specifically an LCD projection HDTV) as a monitor?

Im curious because I know someone who just got a 42" LCD and is using it as a monitor. :eek:

I know LCDs will burn. If you have desktop icons that contain maximum red, green, or blue levels they will burn in. IT where I work installs RealVNC on desktops which burns nearly every screen it is installed on.

Its physically impossible for LCD's to burn in. You can get some sort of image percistance, but this is temporarily and will disappear.

When you say "LCDs" that applies to LCD projection TVs too right? All I know about the technologies is that they both have "LCD" in the title :)

just wondering if i used my sony crt 30" HD as a monitor burn in would take how long of a static image apx?

ratbird said:
DLP and plasmas arent recommended for pc use. LCD's are fine

Yeah, dont throw DLP's in there with Plasmas...
They rock for displaying PC's and do NOT have burn in problems...

Oh and btw if I did this I would be connecting it to the TV with a HDMI to DVI cable/adapter thingy. Thats going to be fine right? I can use the max resolution and all that right? Anyone try this before?

yeah, thats how i did it with mine, HDMI to DVI cable...
play with the res and formats of your tv, you should be able to get it looking nice!

Back