Bungie Talks Lack of PC Destiny Plans

HardOCP News

[H] News
I could have sworn that one of the biggest benefits of the upcoming generation of consoles was that game development would be easier across all platforms. Instead we're just seeing PC gamers getting shafted again. :(

While Osborne wouldn't be heavily drawn into talking about a PC version of the upcoming shooter, he reiterated what we've heard from him before: it's a possibility, but don't expect it any time soon. "It’s a huge challenge to ship four platforms and a massive opportunity to reach a new audience," he said. "We know there are a lot of people out there asking for PC and we know that there are a lot of gamers that would willingly give us money, but what we have to do is make sure we’re focused enough to bring a good experience to any platform that we ship on. What we 100 percent are not going to do is spread ourselves so thin that it negatively harms the other platforms. So right now we have the four platforms, which is a lot to focus on."

So cancel the PlayStation versions and do an X1/PC release like everyone else that uses DirectX.

That way you are in the console market (to a point) and the PC market.

Understandable in terms of a multiplatform launch but lets be really honest , MS and Sony both shoveled money towards Bungie to keep this exclusive to the console platforms. Everyone knows that next gen can't hold a candle to a PC build , I'm thinking the console manufacturers don't want to get "shown" up during the first year of their existence by a platform that has been around for decades.

If they remove the exclusive low-level code from the XboxONE version and replace it with normal DirectX code, add keyboard and mouse control on top of the XInput-only controller code, add a PC settings page in the menu, keep the textures intact, and recompile it with the VS 64-bit compiler and I'm sure you can get a PC version out of that.

Is that too hard to do or does it take up too many resources that they supposedly think they do not have that may spread them out too thin?

Look at Skyrim when it first came out-- it looks like the PC features were added as an after-effect or addition to the game.

Heck, I'm sure their XboxONE team could work on the PC version in parallel at the same time.

Most multi-platform engines now have a direct -- port to pc option in the development tools. I've seen Unreal 3/4 demos and it really does seem like its an extremely easy to make PC ports of equivalent or equal quality to the console versions.

Am I the only one who finds it odd how they're always yapping about a PC version for this game? I don't see this same level of talk for other titles.

I think Bungie just wants to drum up interest for what's inevitable.

I think it's pretty clear at this point that PC with a PS4 on the side is going to offer the most bang for the buck this generation.

The long-term solution here is to make the Steam Machine the primary go-to solution for living room gaming and get people off of this Xbox / Playstation crap. Then PC gamers won't be second fiddle.

The long-term solution here is to make the Steam Machine the primary go-to solution for living room gaming and get people off of this Xbox / Playstation crap. Then PC gamers won't be second fiddle.
No thanks, I have no desire to have to put up with steam as my only option for gaming. I prefer to have choice.

I wonder what's going to keep them, but at the same time I understand the time and money deal. You need more testing and work getting it running on all the eligible PCs than on the consoles it's coming to. Pray for it becoming a blockbuster and it ought to come.

(I'll do my part on the PS4)

Th is bothers me especially from Bungie, I can remember seeing promo videos for halo and nvdia before they were purchased by Microsoft. They have other titles with a pc history as well. They should not be limited.

If a shitty dev doesn't feel like maximizing their profits by supporting PC as a platform, let them. There's a reason Halo was never taken seriously as a "real" FPS. I have no reason to expect anything less from these guys.

MS and Sony both shoveled money towards Bungie to keep this exclusive to the console platforms.
MS and Sony are feeling about as much pressure from PCs as they are from Macs. They're not conspiring against us; they're barely even paying attention.

If a shitty dev doesn't feel like maximizing their profits by supporting PC as a platform, let them. There's a reason Halo was never taken seriously as a "real" FPS. I have no reason to expect anything less from these guys.

I get that people are angry with them for their past choices but shitty dev's? Yea , no.

MS and Sony are feeling about as much pressure from PCs as they are from Macs. They're not conspiring against us; they're barely even paying attention.

Yep, as long as PC gaming depends on an MS OS, MS has nothing to worry about.
One could argue back and forth over MS's intentions and actions regarding their apparent push to transition PC gamers to their consoles all day.

I'm not saying I'm kinda irked by this piece of news, but if only...

I COULD PLAY WITH A DAMN KEYBOARD AND MOUSE ON THE PS4....!!!! :mad:

Bungie can kiss my ass.

Even if I planned on buying a next-gen console (and I don't) I wouldn't buy any of their products at this point.

Yeah because Bungie has such a huge track record of PC games. What, Halo 1 and 2 (vista required, even!)?

Whatever

Aside from Myth and Oni...
Bungie does has not had a single PC targeted game.
Halo 1 and 2 were poor PC ports.
No love lost here.

I feel like I should interpret that Destiny is simply not good enough to compete in the PC FPS market. Or/and that it most likely overlaps similar FPS mechanics already seen online.

I feel like I should interpret that Destiny is simply not good enough to compete in the PC FPS market. Or/and that it most likely overlaps similar FPS mechanics already seen online.

Uh... what is on the PC FPS market that isn't also on consoles?

Doesn't surprise me,they sold out to consoles with Halo. Judging from what I've seen of the game,no great loss.

As I've said for years, you code consoles totally differently then PC's. You are still going to need to replace the threading engines, rendering engine, and several other items when doing a console to PC port, even if the CPU arch and graphical API are the same.

This isn't shocking at all.

Bungie stopped being relevant to me when they stopped doing Halo.

Even then I still prefer my PC games over my consoles. So if Bungie wants my money, I guess they'll just have to make a PC port of something.

Don't worry Bungie, your fans will be playing Titanfall on XBox One and PC instead anyway.

Bungie has been off my radar for years, and I'm glad they don't miss me.

ArmA 2 and ArmA 3?

My point was that pretty much all the major FPS games are on the consoles as well (if they weren't already made for the consoles first to begin with). Arma is pretty niche. So what he said about being "not good enough to compete" on the PC market is rather wrong. If anything, it would be the opposite, where niches seem to do better on PC (Arma, Natural Selection 2, etc).

Aside from Myth and Oni...
Bungie does has not had a single PC targeted game.
Halo 1 and 2 were poor PC ports.
No love lost here.
Halo was originally a PC game Microsoft stepped in and made the focus consoles.

There's a world of difference in the PC H1 effort and PC H2 effort.

Additionally Console makers are probably stepping in to push console exclusivity again to help their launches especially since the time before the disparity between PC's and console will be painfully obvious will be much sooner with this generation of console.

I got tired of the lack of backward compatibility on consoles and left them over two years ago, not to mention, the way that sony and ms controls the game prices.

If a game dev doesn't value me as a customer, then, they won't see my money.

When we, the customers, realize that we have the power and stop bending over, then we will get treated better.

One more thing, don't blame bungie for the lack of halo on pc's, blame your beloved microsoft, that's another reason why I want SteamOS to take off.

I got tired of the lack of backward compatibility on consoles and left them over two years ago, not to mention, the way that sony and ms controls the game prices.

If a game dev doesn't value me as a customer, then, they won't see my money.

When we, the customers, realize that we have the power and stop bending over, then we will get treated better.

One more thing, don't blame bungie for the lack of halo on pc's, blame your beloved microsoft, that's another reason why I want SteamOS to take off.

SteamOS is not mean to replace any exisitng OS i.e Windows or Ubuntu. It is merely Big Picture for a SFF device.

Back