Bungie Reveals Destiny: A Shared-World Shooter

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Bungie has finally shared some of the details of its first post-Microsoft game, Destiny. The company hasn’t been too free with details up until now, are still holding some of the more important details, namely when it might be released, to themselves for now. Several details that were reported: it’s a 10-year deal between Bungie and Activision, requires a constant connection to the Internet and will be released for PS3 and Xbox platforms.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...I don't know about this one...sounds...confusing...

This is something I would have to see some game play for to really "get it" I guess. Also, what they are proposing seems like a rather large order to accomplish without making cutbacks here and there.

Glad to get some info on Destiny though!

So MMORPG shooter basically?

No sub. So do we buy each installment or are they going with just microtransactions? And if so will it be Pay-2-Win?

Definitely want some more information before making any judgment.

So no PC? WTF

There is a PC version in the works at the moment as well, but they've only confirmed the current console versions for the time being. Odd's are you'll see the the PC version show off along side the PS4/Xbox3 version since they will likely be running on the same base tech.

Disappointing that there is no indication of a PC release. However being on the 360 this might just be something I have to pick up several copies of for the whole family.

So, I wasted about 3 minutes hoping to learn something about a game, but was fed with some meaningless story instead. Thanks, I promise to pirate that movie.

The devs made a comment that no one likes playing with a mouse and keyboard...sooooo

The DEVS are idiots, i dont know anyone that prefers a joystick over a mouse and keyboard for any FPS games.

The DEVS are idiots, i dont know anyone that prefers a joystick over a mouse and keyboard for any FPS games.

The games that use a joystick aim for you most of the time and require no real skill, just get somewhere considered close enough and it auto headshot.

Just so people can view what I am referencing:
http://www.destructoid.com/bungie-says-nobody-plays-shooters-with-a-mouse-keyboard-245428.phtml
We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people," Jason Jones told us. "We limited players to two weapons, we gave them recharging health, we automatically saved and restored the game -- almost heretical things to first-person shooters at the time. We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo 'cause nobody wants to.
Emphasis added by me :p

I like how the very things that were the start of the downfall of FPSes he calls "ambitious things"...to reach out to people. To whom? Those that don't like challenge and just run to hide behind cover if they take too much damage? It does not help you learn to how to avoid getting hit in the first place.

And nobody wants to play without a controller and auto-aim (or reticle aim, same thing) because you have spoiled them on this garbage and now that is all that they can handle.

And Bungie is proud of doing that? Mmmk.

They sound mighty full of themselves. I have played the first Halo (bought out of the bargain bin at some big box store for only a couple of bucks for the PC). I played it to the end....Meh. I see the appeal, but I was not impressed.

a 10 year game on xbox, and ps3..... I do not understand this we are days away from a ps4 reveal, and the new xbox later this year. Some one please explain this to me lol. And no PC ??? Sounds like a fun game but no PC kills it for me (Die Hard PC gamer here :)

Yea.. after those comments this one is of my list. More no skill, auto aim bullshit.

I never really played a bungie game... but I'm glad they are trying something new. who knows, sometimes even these older devs can get really excited and pull together to create something magical. but of course, please don't pre-order based on marketing/hype... if the game sucks, give it what it deserves: no money

a 10 year game on xbox, and ps3..... I do not understand this we are days away from a ps4 reveal, and the new xbox later this year. Some one please explain this to me lol. And no PC ??? Sounds like a fun game but no PC kills it for me (Die Hard PC gamer here :)

They also specifically say it is being developed for "future-generation hardware," so that means PS4 and Xbox 720 (or whatever they decide to call it). If I had to guess, only the first game in the series will be made for 360 and PS3. Bungie has said that in order for the game to work the way they want, they need a huge player base. With that in mind, it's actually probably a good idea to do a 1st release on the old and new consoles since not everyone is going to go out and buy the new consoles off the bat. That also assumes they will let players play across generations (ie PS3 players can play with PS4 players). That should be doable provided the version on the new consoles is just a prettier version of the game.

How long before this game has micropayments? Really hoping there is a decent SP experience and story, but it sounds like the focus is on social and sharing :(

Traveler? Sounds familiar.

images

Also the beginning of the story sounds also like the beginning of Star Trek Voyager. Maybe I'm just into Star Trek lately?

It looks like fucking halo to me why didn't they just keep dong that. its a first person shooter again for console noobs. they could do all this with halo.

its not like they are making a RPG now or something.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...I don't know about this one...sounds...confusing...

This is something I would have to see some game play for to really "get it" I guess. Also, what they are proposing seems like a rather large order to accomplish without making cutbacks here and there.

Glad to get some info on Destiny though!

I can see a number of influences. Halo is one of them. There is also Skyrim/Fallout 3 and some “Star Wars” there.

You want to sell me the game great. Give it a bad ass and compelling story. You don't. make it another FPS Play by map game. Perhaps they are trying to hit both like they did with Halo and Microsoft is trying to do in continuing Halo.

You want to sell me the game great. Give it a bad ass and compelling story. You don't. make it another FPS Play by map game. Perhaps they are trying to hit both like they did with Halo and Microsoft is trying to do in continuing Halo.

Plus, you have to be able to pick flowers.:)

il_570xN.109764253.jpg

Raise your hand if you weren't surprised at by this looking just like halo. Leave Microsoft to do something new, do the same thing you have been doing for the past 15 years. Kind of disappointed by this.

My body is ready. I came here expecting to hear that this would be a game that spanned across Playstation and Xbox, allowing players of different console to play together. It was a hope.

"If you have the basic coordination to play a shooter, you can experience all Destiny has to offer," Bungie co-founder Jason Jones explained.

Words escape me :D

A casual game with good graphics?? Story sounds sort of interesting, time will tell on the rest.

I never really played a bungie game... but I'm glad they are trying something new. who knows, sometimes even these older devs can get really excited and pull together to create something magical. but of course, please don't pre-order based on marketing/hype... if the game sucks, give it what it deserves: no money

Unfortunately, people won't know if the game sucks until they've already spent the money.

Honestly, I've never liked Halo, so ignoring this should be easy.

Logo on the door at 2:57 looks like it was pinched from Homeworld, but the game looks promising, although I'm a little miffed they don't seem to have any interest in a PC version at the moment (same thing happened with Halo though).

I think someone would have to pay me a lot of money to play an FPS, for 10 years, using a fucking gamepad

Who cares if they don't release a PC version. We've got PS2 which is/will be better in every measureable way. If they designing this game around current-gen consoles it will be very lacking compared to a PC only MMOFPS like PS2.

Who cares if they don't release a PC version. We've got PS2 which is/will be better in every measureable way. If they designing this game around current-gen consoles it will be very lacking compared to a PC only MMOFPS like PS2.

Same with the PC not getting Halo whatever... On the PC, and compared to PC titles, Halo is very very mediocre.

Back