Bungie Plans to Make Destiny 2 on PC "Legit on Day One"

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
If Destiny 2 turns out to be a technical bust, we can officially call Bungie out on it: the sequel’s PC lead has gone on record to assure patrician gamers that they will get a “legit” experience. The title, which will utilize the Blizzard launcher, is expected to have optimized controls and gameplay tweaks exclusive to the platform, alongside some of the more typical stuff like increased framerates. Too bad the game won’t have dedicated servers, even on PC…

One of the key factors we looked at when coming to PC is that we don’t want anybody looking at the game as a console port. Yeah, Bungie has a long history in console. People seem to love the console games. We wanted to make sure that it feels like a PC game, it plays like a PC game. We’ve gone and changed things, like if you were to compare side-by-side screenshots, you’ll find that the reticle is slightly below center on consoles. It’s dead center on the PC. One of the things we found in development is that we were kind of chasing the mouse because of the way our recoil model works, so we’ve adjusted that. We’ve done a ton of work to try and make [the PC version] feel and play like a great PC shooter.

I don't know if not having dedicated servers is a big deal for this game. It's more MMO (well, more PS:O than WoW) than a straight up fps title.

My biggest concern about the new game is the 4v4 PVP.

Also, not sure how I feel about Destiny 2 coming to BattleNet. Feels like if this is successful, we'll see more of Activision's games coming to BattleNet and BattleNet will just become Activision Blizzard's take on Ubisoft's UPlay.

Well, this actually makes sense, and is very believable, knowing that Blizzard will be teaming up with them to make this happen

Wait... this is not a MMORPS? So this is just standard multiplayer co-op shooter? That sure tempered down my hype for buying it... =(

Dedicated servers has stopped all hype for me about this game. Cheating is going to be awful, PVP is going to abused, and I don't really want to deal with lag because of P2P even if it ends up being minimal.

Its only 4v4 PvP so it probably wasn't worth the infrastructure cost. The sense I got during yesterday's gameplay stream is that co-op PvE is the focus, and where they anticipate players spending most their time in terms of replayability. Which is fine by me since I'm a huge Borderlands fan, and Destiny 2 reminds me of a Mass Effect skinned Borderlands.

Disclosure: I played the first Destiny on console - campaign all the way through, and some PvP. Didn't care for the PvP.

I'm buying this game.

Last edited:
Dedicated servers has stopped all hype for me about this game. Cheating is going to be awful, PVP is going to abused, and I don't really want to deal with lag because of P2P even if it ends up being minimal.

Really want to play this game, but I fear you're spot on about the cheating and exploiting.

I'll put money on me not being able to bind my choice of keys (mouse lefty, keyboard right using Ins/Del/Home/End/PgUp/PgDn/Enter/Numpad/etc) day 1.

I might still do it because i just got symmetrical gigabit fiber at my house so if I play with friends and I host, it shouldn't be that bad for them. But if I'm not playing, I feel bad for my buddies and whoever will be stuck as the guy who isn't host.

What will make it legit to me is a simple requirement: keyboard and mouse necessary to play. Nothing is more stupid than seeing people asking if they can use a console controller to play a game they just bought or due to it being a console game so it plays better with a controller.

Last edited:
Here is where I'm torn on this.

So obviously I played the first version on Console..PS4 to be exact. Now previous to Destiny I was very emphatic on how Horrible FPS style games were on a console vs PC. After all, mouse + KB is just flatly Better than a controller. However Destiny was the first FPS I ever liked on a console. As an aside to that PVP was still god awful as controller aiming is shit, but I just simply didn't do PVP as I never really cared about it. So part of me just wants to go ahead and buy Destiny 2 on PS4 just so I have the same ID association etc...the other part of me leans to PC just in case I decide I want to participate in PVP. I know if I buy it on console I'll never PVP and if I buy it on PC I may or may not.

I know if I buy it on console I'll never PVP and if I buy it on PC I may or may not.

I think having that extra choice for the PC (enjoying PVP) would make me choose the PC version over PS4. Unless you've got a lot of bros on the PS4 version you regularly play with, I say now is the time to switch over. Plus, since everyone's starting at zero, it's not like you're losing a whole lot of character progress if you switch platforms (and I'm pretty sure your personal achievement progress could carry over).

Also, I did the whole XIM3 KB+M for PS4 Destiny and absolutely loved the control scheme for both PVE and PVP. PVE felt so much smoother with mouse control.

I think having that extra choice for the PC (enjoying PVP) would make me choose the PC version over PS4. Unless you've got a lot of bros on the PS4 version you regularly play with, I say now is the time to switch over. Plus, since everyone's starting at zero, it's not like you're losing a whole lot of character progress if you switch platforms (and I'm pretty sure your personal achievement progress could carry over).

Also, I did the whole XIM3 KB+M for PS4 Destiny and absolutely loved the control scheme for both PVE and PVP. PVE felt so much smoother with mouse control.

Yea I'll probably end up going that direction, I'm just saying the decision is surprisingly not clear cut for me. I haven't played really since TTK so it isn't like I have a friends list, it is really more about maintaining my ID than anything. If they give the ability to merge my PSN id with my PC Id then it will be a slam dunk decision.

What will make it legit to me is a simple requirement: keyboard and mouse necessary to play. Nothing is more stupid than seeing people asking if they can use a console controller to play a game they just bought or due to it being a console game so it plays better with a controller.

both KB+M/controller supported.

Yeah. It's a no sale for me. I may not even buy the ps4 version at this rate. It's 2017, can we stop using p2p?

Back