Bungie: 'Nobody Plays Shooters With A Mouse And Keyboard'

I have an Xbox controller for my PC for side scrollers and fighting games (Limbo, Mark of the Ninja, Dustforce, Street Fighter, etc). I have my keyboard and mouse for Everything else, especially FPS.

I did play through Braid and Bastion with a wired 360 pad but I've now played through Limbo and (almost finished with) Mark of the Ninja with KB+M and it's not bad at all. Limbo doesn't need more than a few keys at once anyway, and IMHO MotN is better because you can quickly point at targets with a mouse faster than you can with an analog stick. Hotline: Miami plays great with KB+M as well.

Fighters I have HRAP's for. ;)

I use my controller on PC quite a bit, but never ever for FPS. It works great for platformers and beat em ups, but everything else can be interfaced with more efficiently with a kb/m.
I like the gamepad experience with Skyrim, generally speaking. Any slower-paced FPS game will work fine with a gamepad.

One perk of a gamepad in an FPS is that you can get very finely-tunable movement speeds. Forward/back/strafe as slowly as you'd like. When you just want to walk around and admire things, or if you otherwise want much finer control of your movement speed, that's something you can't really get with a keyboard. You might get two or three speeds, but that's as much granularity as you usually get.

This is Bungie justifying a crappy PC port or no port at all. I stopped playing the Microsoft flight simulators and Microsoft games in general once many of the Xbox exclusive games came out. Fuck these companies who are trying to drive me out from behind my keyboard. They'll pry a mouse out of a cold dead hand when I go.
It's a shame as I've always wanted to play Gears of War, Grand Turismo, Forza, and the later Madden games.

I like the gamepad experience with Skyrim, generally speaking. Any slower-paced FPS game will work fine with a gamepad.

One perk of a gamepad in an FPS is that you can get very finely-tunable movement speeds. Forward/back/strafe as slowly as you'd like. When you just want to walk around and admire things, or if you otherwise want much finer control of your movement speed, that's something you can't really get with a keyboard. You might get two or three speeds, but that's as much granularity as you usually get.

Skyrim works fairly well with a controller, the only issue is with long range bow shots. Luckily you can tweak your input sensitivity to help alleviate issues. Melee combat is imprecise and lacking direct control enough that it feels fine with either input type.

Agreed on the analogue movement control. There are a couple games I miss that level of control in, especially when you want to inch forward very slowly.

They already have keyboard soft controlling through walking means.....Microsoft developed this back in 2008....So the keys were pressure sensitive...for WALKING...strutting and full pressure control...So I have to ask....Were is the keyboard...why isn't it marketed proper....I bet half the people on here have never even took noticed to it.

http://gizmodo.com/5331577/microsofts-pressure+sensitive-keyboard-could-change-the-way-you-type

Were the fuck is this keyboard at...with G19 or G15 type display.....These people need to wake up and get back to what real gamers need and want...let alone the rest of the world stuck on 51/2 inch screens....its really sad to watch how marketing works here...

They just need to develop analog keyboards... :D
It's something I've wanted to see for a while. Just take WASD and give them a few hundred levels of pressure sensitivity, then ship a little API to target it.

It's a totally trivial thing for any reasonably competent manufacturer to execute on and a uniquely-marketable feature.

Zarathustra[H];1039628747 said:
It's all mouse and Keyboard for me, or I feel utterly handicapped when playing.

My kids can kick my ass at FPS's on the Xbox. I get excited with 4 kills (while they get 20+).

On PC, though, I'm getting the 20+.

Battlefield 1942 on PC (or BF3) and BF1943 on Xbox.

There seems to be some kind of epidemic of "stupid" in the software I industry lately.

Skyrim works fairly well with a controller, ....
I can see controller work well for skyrim. Skyrim wasn't about action and is what I expect out of a good console port. Good Story - good game-play - the combat/action felt soft and sluggish. The importance of comfort with console FPS is interesting (and likely true).

So if halo features like aim assist, large target area, reliance on scrolling are directed towards making a game playable on the couch then does halo have more in common with PC FPS games or bejeweled?

They seriously need cross platform play with TF2. It would encourage more people to get a better PC when they realise their vanilla weaponry won't save them from chargin' targes, dead ringing spies and moon shots. The cries of a thousand screaming kids will echo, and PC gamers will find solace in their bitter tears.

That explains why I haven't purchased a Bungie game since Halo.
Don't get me wrong I am a huge PS3 gamer but I don't play FPS on consoles... ever.
Why?
Because all that crap they added to make the game more playable with a Game Pad ruins the experience.
The level of immersion experienced using a keyboard and mouse in a FPS is undeniable and unbeatable.
The only reason why they say this is that they ignore PC gamers and only focus on Console customers.
Its a myopic vision that totally ignores the Renascence that was FPS on computers first.
They took it and boiled it down into the meaningless auto-aim, auto-health, auto everything with everyone experience.
Just so they could make a profit on a console...
Today Profit totally blinds them.

They forgot to add, make indoor environments using the same textures and models for every damn room.

Honestly, I thought I was running in circles a few times.

I don't care to read through the mountain of comments, but I will only play FPS games with a mouse and keyboard. Every other control method I've ever seen/used is inferior in almost every way.

Why is the argument always K/B and mouse versus controllers, like those are the only 2 options people can imagine? Am I the only person in the world that uses a controller and a mouse at the same time? I get a thumbstick and keep mouse aim, best of both worlds, etc, etc

Please. Pit me against a pad player with no aim assist (any, MLG or what not) I will gladly destroy them in any FPS I can use a mouse and keyboard.

Well I use a mouse and keyboard for First Person Shooters. And I'll gladly destroy anyone who uses a controller 1v1 deathmatch.

No tears please, its a waste of good suffering.

Why is the argument always K/B and mouse versus controllers, like those are the only 2 options people can imagine? Am I the only person in the world that uses a controller and a mouse at the same time? I get a thumbstick and keep mouse aim, best of both worlds, etc, etc

That's essentially just joystick + mouse - not a common combo but not new.

Not the greatest study ever done but here's one comparing a mouse, xbox360 controller, and wiimote.
http://gradworks.umi.com/14/67/1467132.html

Bottom line is that mice are both fast and accurate, game controllers are improving but it's hard to beat a mouse in both categories.

it's the only way to play shooters with a keyboard and a mouse, wtf are with these people

My kids can kick my ass at FPS's on the Xbox. I get excited with 4 kills (while they get 20+).

On PC, though, I'm getting the 20+.

Battlefield 1942 on PC (or BF3) and BF1943 on Xbox.

This brings up another point or two no one considers. Having been a player of both Controllers and M/KB (not that i needed experience with a controller to realise it as its logical... kinda like the logics with knowing it'll hurt if you were to hit your thumb with a hammer.. you dont need to do it!) i know beond all doubt its the more superior controlling method for FPS. So don't get me wrong.

But people do have to realise that if you primarily play with a m/kb and go to a console.. you WILL suck. And vice versa. Its all about learning the control's of whatever style you're playing. They are wildly different input types and require serious practice to genuinely get quite good at (and to figure out the secrets of that style that go with being fast as well as accurate). And usually you're up against players that have already had this practise so you've got triple the hill to climb!

Going from M/KB to Controller you will feel handicapped big time. You KNOW you can go faster.. you know you react quicker.. you know your far more accurate at teh same time. But the input style doesn't allow you to be that.. so you feel held back. Add getting smashed while you're figuring it out.. and you appear to be an ultra n00b unjustly! But never fear because if you give it genuine time you'll rape just as you do on the PC.. because all the other controller players are still using.. well.. controllers so its all even grounds (aside from skill level of course!).

And its the same when you go from a controller to a PC. I've went back and forth between the two a couple of times and i know the feelings all to well! *remembers the good ol' Quake/Quake2/Quake 3/Unreal/UT days on PC*

Oh struth.. i forgot to say... This bungie mob are a bunch of knobs. Seriously... the number of ways that the statement is wrong is beond silly. Regardless of if you want to be convince yourself they are doing some kind of community service buy stating this crap even if they have data to back it up... it doesn't actually say anything because you have no choice but to use a controller ona console.

Man.. i rape enough as it is on consoles... i'd kill to have a choice to use a M/KB against all the kiddies of today that have never use a PC to game how its meant to be! (I like both methods of gaming purely because some games arent available on some hardware).

Uhh... the headline is misleading.

In the article he never says "nobody plays shooters with a mouse and keyboard". He talks about how Halo bucked various shooter conventions, and says that nobody plays shooters like the used to. He probably just meant that those things that were in his words "heretical" at the time have now become shooter conventions – limited weapons, recharging health, auto-saves, and controller compatibility.

I mean come on... the first two Halo games were released for PC. I don't thing he's somehow ignorant of the existence of the PC market.

LOL bungie! What a joke, just like there games.
Honestly every time I hear someone mention Halo I tune out. Watching one of my friends in elementary school play marathon and claim it was the best fps made me think the guy was crazy. Then watching people play halo... lol I have no clue why people play such shitty games.

This is strange, I could have sworn I just fired up Borderlands 2 on my PC!!

Of course "noone wants to use a mouse/keyboard" when their entire audience is dudebros.

Halo, call of doody and other such garbage is all dudebro territory. It's gotta be simple for simple fuckwits with as much attention span between picking up the beer can and taking a chug. That's why these games pretty much play themselves and act out like a movie because that's what dudebros are into, movies, not games.

I have the splitfish controller for my ps3 and it has gotten me close to the K:D ratio i normally get with a KB setup on pc, but it still isnt the same.
Nothing beats FPS gaming on a pc!!

Hmm, I don't know WTF Bungie was smoking when they said that, because FPS games were originally developed for PC until consoles came along. Personally, I can't play a FPS with a controller, its too awkward and frustrating.

Another "great" gaming developer decides to diss the PC platform.

To be fair, they didn't say "nobody plays with a mouse and keyboard anymore". That is a sensationalist headline, nothing more. They list a bunch of things they did with Halo when they first created it that were different from other FPS's at the time. Among the list was "designed it without a keyboard and mouse" since they were doing it for a console. I don't see anywhere that they were implying nobody plays FPS with keyboard and mouse anymore as their sole point. Some sites are running the sensationalist headline and getting people worked up over a relatively benign comment.

Back