Bungie: 'Nobody Plays Shooters With A Mouse And Keyboard'

I use my controller on PC quite a bit, but never ever for FPS. It works great for platformers and beat em ups, but everything else can be interfaced with more efficiently with a kb/m.

I think they are sorely mistaken.

A lot of people use the XIM, and many of the rest don't know about it.

I started out as a strictly console gamer with an original xbox and ps2. I then got into HL2 for PC and still didn't see much of a difference because it was all single player for me. But now years later after playing BF3 competitively for the past year or so and then picking up Halo 4 it was dreadfully hard to aim with a console controller. I actually still haven't finished it because it is so hard for me to get used to the controller again.

I don't even own a controller for PC.

Mouse or Keyboard 4 lyfe!!

Actually since having kids I've almost completley stopped gaming and what sucks is now when I play I get motion sick. No idea whats going on but it keeps me from gaming even when I have freetime.

Oh well just think of the money I've saved on GFX cards these last 3 years!

I will never understand how someone can enjoy playing gimped on a controller. Takes so much longer to turn around and precisely aim and they make hit boxes larger in a lot of these games to compensate for it. It's like playing the dumbed down version of what the game is supposed to be. Cool.

As i said earlier, it's because people prefer to play on their couch. Unless you're playing online where stats matter it's more enjoyable to playing on my hdtv then in front of my monitor.

I'd like to see the day when PC gamers can play against console gamers. Let the battle begin, and let the best input device win. My bet is on keyboard and mouse.

PC Gamer already tested this somewhat informally with the original Halo on PC. Identical PCs, some with 360 controllers and some with mouse-and-keyboards.

The mouse and keyboard people won, 6:1 kill ratio.

It evened up a bit when the map was set to all rocket launchers (3:1).

PC Gamer already tested this somewhat informally with the original Halo on PC. Identical PCs, some with 360 controllers and some with mouse-and-keyboards.

The mouse and keyboard people won, 6:1 kill ratio.

It evened up a bit when the map was set to all rocket launchers (3:1).

ShadowRun did this too. The online FPS, not the old RPG. PC versus 360 players. I didn't play it myself but I heard they handicapped PC players so they would be more on even ground.

I wonder if these guys code their game with a KB/M or with a gamepad.... just a thought.

I'd love to sit these fools down in a deathmatch against some very skilled Q3 players I know. The Q3 players get to use mice and keyboards. The Bungie execs have to use gamepads. Then we'll see who's talking out their ass.

I'd have to guess this comment was tied to the conversation on consoles.

Nobody wants to use a Keyboard and Mouse when Playing a console game on their TV sitting on their couch. Halo 2 on Xbox360 with a keyboard and Mouse probably does suck major ass.

I say this because everybody knows keyboard and mouse is way better on PC.

The problem is we don't know what he meant, because he comes off as super smarmy about a bunch of other terrible things most of us don't like, so he very well could've been talking about m/kb too.

The impression I got was not that they were comparing kb+m to gamepad, but rather taking credit for "reinventing" FPS games, and making consoles the dominant platform for them.

Fuck Bungie. I went back to PC gaming after having a PS3 for 4 years. Something about playing FPS with a controller....oh yeah I remember, it fuckin sucks.

K/M will always win. I swear a game was in development to be cross-platform. They cancelled the cross-platform feature due to it being too un-balanced for gamepad players. Or in other words, they were getting their ass beat in beta play testing and it wasn't "fun" enough.

Shadowrun.

The issue is/was never which is better, the issue is what people think is more enjoyable and relaxing.

If all players have to use a gamepad (as in general on console) then what does it matter how much you can pwn with your keyboard. The playing field is level.

Keyboard, desk, chair, and mouse just isn't appealling for the VAST majority of gamers. Halo did change that.

FFS, does this now mean that the average console game developer is about as fucking stupid and arrogant as the average console game player?

The issue is/was never which is better, the issue is what people think is more enjoyable and relaxing.

If all players have to use a gamepad (as in general on console) then what does it matter how much you can pwn with your keyboard. The playing field is level.

Keyboard, desk, chair, and mouse just isn't appealling for the VAST majority of gamers. Halo did change that.

Finally someone with some sense.

First I am no Bungie fanboy (I loved the Myth series as a kid, but never equated that love for a developer) so this are just my thoughts on this subject.

1. I don't think he was implying that KB+M is inferior to controllers. What I think he was implying is that nobody wants to use a KB+M on consoles (whether this is true or not doesn't matter, it was a terribly worded reply nonetheless).

2. Bungie is so jaded if they think ANYTHING having to do with the game-play of Halo contributed to their success. The only thing "revolutionary" they did was launch a console with a FPS (no, I don't think Duck Hunt counts :D).

People wonder why PC gaming is dying. It's because of people like this that are so out of touch with gamers. I remember when game developers got into gaming because they were gamers themselves not because it was big money...

People wonder why PC gaming is dying. It's because of people like this that are so out of touch with gamers. I remember when game developers got into gaming because they were gamers themselves not because it was big money...

Pc gaming dying?

I did see true skill from other players until I came to PC gaming after Halo 3.
Accuracy is much greater on PC than consoles. I raged a lot less coming to PC gaming also, because gameplay felt more inline with player skill and less fluky.

I can play a shooter on the console, but I'd take the PC with a mouse and keyboard any day of the week, Bungie are trying to rationalize their console only excuse with the new game.

Another thing:

kb/m has almost zero stress impact on my hands after hours of gaming.
But after a 1-2hr. fps or racing session with the 360 controller, my hands are cramped up!

I have an Xbox controller for my PC for side scrollers and fighting games (Limbo, Mark of the Ninja, Dustforce, Street Fighter, etc). I have my keyboard and mouse for Everything else, especially FPS.

I have thought about buying some FPS games for the PS3 to play with some friends that do not game on a PC. If I do, I will definitely rig up a ZIM. That is the only way I will play a FPS on a console.

He's not saying nobody plays this way, he's saying the people that do play this way are nobodies... in other words he's calling us names... what a douche bag!

This guy is a moron, and the Halo series is terrible.

Keyboard and Mouse remains by far the best way to play FPS games, and powerpacks and regenerating health are utterly lame.

Am i the only one that uses a keyboard and mouse on a console? You know they make adapters...

No its not quite as good as a true setup since its being emulated, but it still about tripled my kill / death ratio versus fumbling around with the controller.

I never liked Halo, but maybe i never gave it a fair chance. Years ago, i use to play Quake 2 competitively and i think halo / quake 2 are pretty similar. Since counter strike came out, all ive cared about is mil-sim shooters though.

I'm not sure if you guys realize this or not but nobody wants to play FPS games with a mouse and keyboard anymore. You might as well just sell your PC.

If Bungie folks can't play an FPS with a mouse and keyboard besides a controller, they are probably handicapped (and this is no offense to those with real physical disabilities).

Probably the single dumbest comment I've ever heard from Bungie , but there has been far worse from EA/Ubisoft I personally think.

Good job alienating your ENTIRE PC audience for your new game well before it releases Bungie.

I literally will not play a FPS WITHOUT a keyboard and mouse. No controller for me. If FPS went all controller, I would no longer play them.

QFT. I tried a couple of times and all I wound up doing was rage quitting. It was on a Xbox 360 beta for COD:WaW

When was the last time you played Q2? o.o

Even with a mouse and keyboard, Halo is designed without them in mind so turn speeds, run speeds, jump speeds are all much slower than any Quake game, even 4.

yeah, I can barely count to potato in FPS games if I am forced to use a controller of any kind.

It's all mouse and Keyboard for me, or I feel utterly handicapped when playing.

Back