Bungie: 'Nobody Plays Shooters With A Mouse And Keyboard'

This is like saying "nobody wants their cars to fly". I'm pretty sure if the option was actually there, plenty of people would want it.

The game pad is the automatic transmission of the gaming world. Designed for kids and housewives. Forced on enthusiasts.

Bungie is living in a fantasy world,in the worst way. All the "innovations" they proudly boast of are hated by true FPS players. To make the statement that no one plays shooters with keyboard and mouse shows how out of touch with reality they are. The sooner they go out of business the better.

Noone remembers that Halo 1 was first developed on Apple not PC so they are full of BS i still have the ORIGINAL trailer that was put out online for it.

Long time ago I decided to stop caring about the Halo franchise. Someone else more creative can have my money...

We call this in the entertainment business "Jumping the shark"

PC/Mac programmer, who is going it alone making Halo, and wants it on PC and Mac cause they are "The best platforms"

They get bought up by microsoft, and make games for them for EONS.

They then get a very, very, very, VERY lucrative contract from Activision, for big, big, big bucks, to make console EXCLUSIVE games.

Now because they are under a contract for exclusive console games "PC is old shit, console is where its at"

This is so beyond jumping the shark it outright hurts, I just, pray really that this industry rep is saying this because he's trying to protect his job at Bungie and Activision, since its a console only game "console (sic) must be inherently better"

Tell me again why Halo is not taken seriously in major gaming tournaments unless they are sponsored by the companies themselves? Could it be CONTROLLERS BLOW?

I find it ironic that the creator of Marathon says no one wants to play FPS titles on a mouse and keyboard. The dude is simply playing to the masses of a community he helped create and he is full of shit. I credit Halo like I credit WoW for the popularity they brought to their genre, but they also didn't do anything ground breaking. I thank them for growing the community and breaking down walls, but don't spread lies and condemn a system that has worked and yet to be improved upon or surpassed.

Bungie is one of the reasons the FPS gave experience leaves a lot to be desired now compared to even 10 years ago. Their "innovations" are making players lazy.

The gaming industry wonders why sales are slipping, it is because of devs like Bungie getting complacent and making quick games for the ADD crowd. Make games that are complete with real innovations and not a bunch of half completed shit with 50 DLC packs.

Actually bungie if you're so damn fucking confident in your product, give users the option of mouse and keyboard or Controller

I beat the mouse and keyboard players wipe the fucking floor with the controller players

I literally will not play a FPS WITHOUT a keyboard and mouse. No controller for me. If FPS went all controller, I would no longer play them.

id pay money for kyle to interview bungie about this point out the this whole web site

I have been playing games on my pc since the first doom and I do not plan on stopping anytime soon I call BS on this.

What incredible naivete, well done Bungie, luckily the only market to see your bullshit for what it is, most likely does by your games, or play console. Simultaneously, you will further mentally fellatiate console fan boys, elevating you company's likability. Pretty smart if this was intended.

I think weapon limits were first done in Rainbow 6, back in 1998. That was three years before Halo. It was even before Counter-Strike. When Halo rolled around, weapon limits were already old hat to me.

Most games developed on console then ported to PC are horrible. Not the game itself. It's usually an interesting game with a piss-poor move to the PC.

The easiest thing to say is, "no one wants a keyboard and mouse." In my mind, that translates to, "We'd have to do too much work to make it playable on PC, that will probably not be an option."

"We did a lot of creative and inventive stuff with Halo."

I played it once. At a lan party. Even by the standards of the day, it was crap.

Next Halo 2 for PC. That thing ran HORRIBLE.

This whole, Controller vs Kbd Mouse arguement is nothing new. The company that made Shadowrun tried to say "game controllers are designed for gaming, something a mouse was never intended for." They later said that players with controllers were mopping the floor with Kbd/mouse users. I called BS then and I call BS now.

Aiming Assist is automatic for a controller. It HAS to be due to the design, when you turn, your character does not stop instantly, he SLOWS to a stop. Try that in pvp on any FPS on a PC and you will get raped.

I'm proof this is false. I've completely moved my gaming out to the couch over the past couple years and shifted to playing FPS games on consoles because of it. However, this last year I've moved back to PC FPS gaming just for this reason -- I never could completely embrace using a controller. Now I have the option of both (and will use a controller for singleplayer sometimes) but nothing beats K/M. Even wireless on a couch where it's a bit more difficult and traditionally the console's domain.

Halo hasn't been relevant since Halo 2, so anything these guys say is taken as a big steaming pile.

He actually never said people don't want to use keyboards, just that people don't want to play shooters the same way that they used to.. which is true.

The gaming industry wonders why sales are slipping, it is because of devs like Bungie getting complacent and making quick games for the ADD crowd. Make games that are complete with real innovations and not a bunch of half completed shit with 50 DLC packs.

Ultra-mainstream sells. Watery light beer, Taco Bell and Doritos or McDonald's, gut rot pizza like Domino's... cha-ching!

Even removing the PC crowd, this is still a ludicrous statement. With FPS's on the console, I use a XIM, and I know a lot of other people who use similar tools.

Oh, and

And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo 'cause nobody wants to."

It's not that nobody wants to. It's that many people aren't aware there's a different way. And a lot of other people who actually do want to, can't, because of the unaware crowd which has made Halo the standard for FPSs.

Trollish statement on their part. Should of been worded better.

I would of said something more like this: Virtually all of today's PC games support a 360 controller, not just functionally but also visually Turning your PC into an Xbox 360 with Super graphics and promoting lazy comfy gaming.

I would off definitely agreed to that statement, and would backed it up by saying I've played Far Cry 3, Assassins Creed 3, Arkham city, DMC, Crysis 2, Dead Space 3 from the comfort of my couch with a 360 controller and some pretty graphics.

Truthfully maybe i'm getting old and lazy but i can't even imagine playing any single player game in front of my pc instead of my couch anymore. This is coming from a guy who has tri 680's and a dell 3011. I much prefer the comfort of 65" inch vt30 and a 360 controller. One added bonus is your friends with 360's being unconforably silent seeing their games running on my setup like "wtf it don't look like that home?"

All laziness aside, i will never surrender my keyboard mouse gaming. I reserve that right for fucking people up online.

FPS in general died to me when you couldn't do a rocket jump anymore

Even removing the PC crowd, this is still a ludicrous statement. With FPS's on the console, I use a XIM, and I know a lot of other people who use similar tools.

XIM or any mouse to controller programs are deemed illegal in the "Professional" gaming circuit, cause in their own words "It gives them an unfair advantage over controller players"

When gaming competitions themselves are saying K+M kills controllers, you know you're full of shit bungie

And at any rate why don't these people buy a controller than for the pc which is clearly the better device even on a low end scale...

And were the fuck is fight night and forza for the PC>

I'd like to see the day when PC gamers can play against console gamers. Let the battle begin, and let the best input device win. My bet is on keyboard and mouse.

Do that all the time in SR3... KB/M vs Controller... win most of the time...with a controller. :D

You people need to stop comparing k&m to a controller that's definitely not they meant.

Already been done. Microsoft squared off console players versus PC players. PC players humiliated them so badly that MS completely dropped the idea.
Epic considered it for UT3 too (PC vs PS3) but scrapped it for the same reason, I believe.

CS:GO was supposed to have console and PC players together (using ELO to deal with the imbalances) but they scrapped it because the PC version gets updates and balance tweaks fairly frequently and they can't do that for the consoles.

I will take on any controller FPS player with my mouse in any game I have never played any day.
Hell, crossplatform FPS has been done before, it was a total massacre.

You people need to stop comparing k&m to a controller that's definitely not they meant.

The problem is we don't know what he meant, because he comes off as super smarmy about a bunch of other terrible things most of us don't like, so he very well could've been talking about m/kb too.

The problem is we don't know what he meant, because he comes off as super smarmy about a bunch of other terrible things most of us don't like, so he very well could've been talking about m/kb too.

You're right budd i just went back to re-read what he said and they're fucking assholes lol

I will never understand how someone can enjoy playing gimped on a controller. Takes so much longer to turn around and precisely aim and they make hit boxes larger in a lot of these games to compensate for it. It's like playing the dumbed down version of what the game is supposed to be. Cool.

Only other type of FPS gaming that is as interesting as mouse / keyboard is the Wii Gamepad with aiming requiring movement in a virtual space.

Wiimotes are close as well.

Back