Bungie: 'Nobody Plays Shooters With A Mouse And Keyboard'

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm not sure if you guys realize this or not but nobody wants to play FPS games with a mouse and keyboard anymore. You might as well just sell your PC.

"We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people," Jones told us. "We limited players to two weapons, we gave them recharging health, we automatically saved and restored the game -- almost heretical things to first-person shooters at the time. We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo 'cause nobody wants to."

I am selling my PC... but not because I don't like playing FPS games with a mouse and keyboard!

it's more because PC users don't exist anymore. There's a difference ;)

L
n725075089_288918_2774.jpg

I was really hoping Bungie would put Destiny out on PC. Then I read the source article for this, and I lost all respect for them. Destiny will get no playtime from me, even if I had planned on a next gen console (which I don't).

I bet Bungie's monitors have windshield wipers built on them. You know to wipe the shit off the screen from when they open their dick holsters.

honestly do you expect anything less from the house that halo built and in my opinion halo is ass always has been

And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo 'cause nobody wants to.

So doing mushrooms is the new thang* with Bungie? :rolleyes:

Is he brain-damaged?

He is probably so delusional that he would say Halo and Halo 2 stack up with Half-Life and HL2.

But I suppose $60 from a bro or a mom for junior is the same as $60 from an appreciative player.

And when I volunteered with 10 year-olds they were crazy about the latest Call of Duty.

I'd like to see the day when PC gamers can play against console gamers. Let the battle begin, and let the best input device win. My bet is on keyboard and mouse.

I hope the next gen console machines are all unstable for some reason where it dies in 1 month so console players will need to rebuy or get their system fixed over and over. That might make developers come crying back to pc.

Of all the stupidest things to say...I would expect something like this to come from somebody else like EA or Ubisoft.

it's more because PC users don't exist anymore. There's a difference ;)

That is what I was thinking. The vast majority of gamers, especially if you use their previous market (Halo fans) do not use keyboards and mice to play FPS. Ever since Bond for N64, consolers have adopted the gamepad for their FPS fix. So he is right. It's just who exactly does he mean by, nobody.

Us PC gamers are not the majority. Nope. So when a statement like this is made, understand what it means to the whole world and not just your world. Bungie's Halo franchise cemented the popularity of the gamepad based FPS.

Nobody plays with mouse and keyboard? I DO...and have since 1994....Fuck Bungie...go jump off a cliff hoe. without ur bungie cord.

Soon, they will design games written using a controller and a virtual keyboard. DEATH TO THE MOUSE AND KEYBOARD. :rolleyes:

I'd like to see the day when PC gamers can play against console gamers. Let the battle begin, and let the best input device win. My bet is on keyboard and mouse.

K/M will always win. I swear a game was in development to be cross-platform. They cancelled the cross-platform feature due to it being too un-balanced for gamepad players. Or in other words, they were getting their ass beat in beta play testing and it wasn't "fun" enough.

Uh................................................................................

............................................................uh.......................................

.............dumbest thing ever said by a game industry rep?

If I have to give up my mouse and keyboard because of some fucking noob who cant learn which is the better device for aiming....."mouse" then someone else is a cock sucker for the means of sales and money.....all this bullshit sounds like its about money and the stupid fucking fps gamers on console... I gave up on consoles after n64....when I realized I can be a man get a job pay for something better and get results. this is like using the keyboard and mouse....for fighting and sports games...getting the rest of the world stuck on it....then thinking its the best and only option.....most console players I run into....NEVER even touced a mouse....let alone no how to use windows....its called lack of learning...no fucking jobs...and lazy ass people.

Already been done. Microsoft squared off console players versus PC players. PC players humiliated them so badly that MS completely dropped the idea.

My favorite gun when they ported halo over to PC was the pistol. That's the most powerful weapon in the game if you have a mouse and keyboard.

In all honesty I would be curious to know what kind of comparative numbers we would see for KB/M vs. controllers.

I'm past the point of caring. This would have angered me a year or two ago because a lot of people would agree and I would feel left out. But now I just feel that I have enough games that I really don't need to keep buying the new garbage anyway, especially since it's all going downhill in quality anyway.

ill smoke anyone with a controller VS mouse....ill put my fucking life savings on it.

Nobody has ever played an FPS on a PC. It can't be done. Them are just email boxes.

I hope the next gen console machines are all unstable for some reason where it dies in 1 month so console players will need to rebuy or get their system fixed over and over. That might make developers come crying back to pc.

That happened already, unfortunately it didn't work

I rather think so

watching the counterstrike pros wipe the floor with these console players would be most entertaining

That is what I was thinking. The vast majority of gamers, especially if you use their previous market (Halo fans) do not use keyboards and mice to play FPS. Ever since Bond for N64, consolers have adopted the gamepad for their FPS fix. So he is right. It's just who exactly does he mean by, nobody.

Us PC gamers are not the majority. Nope. So when a statement like this is made, understand what it means to the whole world and not just your world. Bungie's Halo franchise cemented the popularity of the gamepad based FPS.

The only problem I see is that Bungie, of all developers, made that statement. They're a console-centric game developer. The statement's too biased, even though it might or might not be true (I haven't seen any numbers).

If it was a developer that's known for producing games for the PC in addition to console, I'd take the statement more seriously.

Of course, if Bungie has the numbers to back up their claim, then I guess I'll have to go with what they said. But the article reeks of anecdotal evidence. "I prefer this. I do this. I see this".

"We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people," Jones told us. "We limited players to two weapons because they are too dumb to count higher than that, we gave them recharging health since they don't like to lose when they play badly, we automatically saved and restored the game since they have the attention span of a 2 year old -- almost heretical things to first-person shooters at the time. We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard since hand eye coordination isn't needed when all you do is sit in your parents basement and collect your Obama checks.. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo 'cause nobody wants to because doing things that require any amount of attention, skill, or ambition is fucking nuts."

FTFY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5kNr5kjrAU&list=PLBF553B3506AD8B62

Tell bungie to go do this with a controller....let alone this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n13UL60U2zM

And fuck Crytek to for there lies and why people don't buy there software...Crysis where it should of been..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5klisoL8DA

Don't mind the music.....Bungie fucking sucks...and so does Crytek for there bullshit lies...and there early release of a product that could of had more time....the same people that create our fun are the same people that destroy everything great and don't listen to the people that feed there mouths and families.

Old shooters:
labyrinth maps
always going for headshots
constantly searching for health and ammo
save reload strategize repeat
30 hours gameplay
satisfaction:eek:

New shooters
straight line from beginning to end
barn sized hitboxes/aim assist
infinite health, ammo everywhere
autosave and clear indicators of upcoming boss fight
5 hours gameplay
is Version 2 out yet?

29071-return-to-castle-wolfenstein-game-of-the-year-windows-screenshot.jpg

Here I always thought I was somebody, and now Bungie is telling me I am nobody ... NEVER ... I will not go gently into that good night :D

"We did a bunch of ambitious things on Halo deliberately to reach out to people," Jones told us. "We limited players to two weapons, we gave them recharging health, we automatically saved and restored the game -- almost heretical things to first-person shooters at the time. We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo 'cause nobody wants to."

Translation: We made FPS shooters extremely simplistic for the console crowd, and being as they sold millions due to the market share that consoles have we don't feel like actually making a game that requires a little effort for a platform that won't sell as much.

Bungie made Marathon, one of the best FPS shooters of all time, so I can't believe some of the old guys there think this statement is redonkulous.

My problem is they are taking way to much credit for shit that was just good timing. All that they really did was dumb the game down so that the average person could play it on consoles.

Limiting weapons did nothing for the game. Usually the only difference between having all weapons and not having them all is how they balance the game. And usually this has more to do with ammo pickups than anything else. This kind of feature works for some games and does not work for others.

Recharging health made it so that the average person did not always die. On top of helping compensating for the responsiveness and accuracy of the gamepad, this made the game a bit more accessible to the average person by allowing them the ability to regain health without having to hunt for a health pack.

And finally autosaves made it so that if the average person died in the game, they did not have to treck all the way from the bigging. This once again made the game far more accessible to the average person. But you know, on the PC we have enough buttons to push that there is usually one setup for a nice little feature called "Quick Save", which, IMO, is far more valuable than Autosaves. Quick save allows you to choose when and where to save versus autosave which has a tendency to either be based off of a specific location or even, or based on a timer. Some games they do the Autosaves perfectly, and I have found that they have saved my ass many times, but to me the Quicksave is far more valuable than the Autosave.

Hell, I feel that the original Golden Eye on N64 was 10x better, especially in single player and level design. Multiplayer was also well done for a console, it just was not online.

Back