Bungie Inks Deal to Leave Activision While Maintaining Control of Destiny

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Bungie has announced that it is in the early stages of becoming a self-publisher of its own games. It is relieving Activision of these duties after 8 years of partnership. The rights to Destiny will be transferred from Activision to Bungie, but the transition deal is in its early stages. Chinese Internet technology company NetEase invested $100 million into Bungie so the video game developer could self-publish and develop multiple new titles. Thanks exlink !

We have enjoyed a successful eight-year run and would like to thank Activision for their partnership on Destiny. Looking ahead, we're excited to announce plans for Activision to transfer publishing rights for Destiny to Bungie. With our remarkable Destiny community, we are ready to publish on our own, while Activision will increase their focus on owned IP projects. The planned transition process is already underway in its early stages, with Bungie and Activision both committed to making sure the handoff is as seamless as possible.

Buy their freedom? More like Activision refuses to fund a 3rd example of the same shallow game? Destiny was garbage, and remains so in Destiny 2......they spent more time on the skybox art than the actual game itself. Hate Away!

Destiny 2 would have worked much better if content came faster, it is the perfect game for monthly styled episodic content but otherwise there just isn't enough content there the short story arcs are half decent but they aren't getting them out fast enough.

Buy their freedom? More like Activision refuses to fund a 3rd example of the same shallow game? Destiny was garbage, and remains so in Destiny 2......they spent more time on the skybox art than the actual game itself. Hate Away!
isn't COD the same shallow game?
I don't think it's that..

Might not all be good news. Did everyone miss the part about NetEase investing $100M in Bunngie? No one investments that much money without wanting something in return, and considering NetEase's track record, I'm cautious of the announcement at best. Further, considering how in bed NetEase is with Tencent, the Chinese company that funded the actiblizz merger, I'll take a wait and see approach before being happy. I was happy at first, then I looked into the details. The devil is in the details...

Destiny and Destiny 2 would have been great if they hadn't sucked.

Agreed, these games are so fundamentally shallow for "RPGs" that they define "games as a service" purely for the purpose of being a service.

Might not all be good news. Did everyone miss the part about NetEase investing $100M in Bungie? No one investments that much money without wanting something in return, and considering NetEase's track record, I'm cautious of the announcement at best. Further, considering how in bed NetEase is with Tencent, the Chinese company that funded the actiblizz merger, I'll take a wait and see approach before being happy. I was happy at first, then I looked into the details. The devil is in the details...

Depends on the details of the deal; Bungie should have the clout to get away with promising modest (but almost certain) return on investment.

Whether they did or not (or even wanted to) is, naturally, a different question.

For most people and companies, money is the main motivator. As everyone can see, that is the case here. They don't care if it's Chinese money or American money. It's a shame that China is just gobbling up more and more of American companies. :(

Yay? It’d be more exciting if Bungie wasn’t now a Chinese company in the same way as Epic.

It’d truly be exciting if Bungie got some of their talent back, but C’est la vie.

I'm not aware of any decent game company that's really done well after the secret sauce of a large games publisher trickled down into their pudding. About the only company that still seems to be doing fine in this fashion is EA... I mean Bioware... Cough... EA. Bioware's soul died when the owners sold out to EA. So, now it's just EA.

Bungie has always been a rather creative studio that doesn't play well with others. This is the second overlord they've bailed on. I'm curious if they will whore themselves out for money to ubisoft next, lol .

Interesting. I would of thought that Activision would of fought hard to keep them under their banner as they seem to have quiet 2019 coming up. All they have to my knowledge is CoD and Sekiro (which has been fairly quiet on marketing) as big titles this year. Blizzard with their issues and turnovers doesnt look like they will have anything significant new this year or maybe even next. All they are doing is relying on Candy Crush, WoW, Hearthstone and CoD for income this year.

So you have never actually played destiny 2, right ?

No, I am pretty sure I own 2 or 3 copies of it...PC version was free, expired offer, never downloaded it. PS4 version was free, don't think I ever fired it up....Playstation + I think........or I bought it for like $6.99, which I often do when I see sales. "Thats' worth a rental price" is my motto. I have a lot of unplayed games for $6.99....note to self :My motto sucks.
Xbox version I've got a few hours into....more of the same, shut it off.

Destiny, the first one, I have hours into on PS4 and Xbox.....more on Xbox, not sure what level I was..30..? dunno....I spent time with that in the same way I spent time with Titanfall.....gameplay that bored me (multiplayer only is too much like sports, people make bold moves, die, respawn, and make bold moves...this is kinda not fun to me) but it was perfect at 1am when you just couldn't sleep,
but just couldn't focus on anything complex. Enter Destiny and Titanfall, the pachinko parlors of the videogame world. IMHO of course, your mileage may vary.

Very interesting, I honestly think they are heading in the direction of a fpsmmo for their next game. Their teasing of being able to choose between light or dark and this helps enforce that idea.

lol if you say so, I've gotten way more than enough time out of both games to justify the prices. The game plays and feels great and if your at all into player vs player games its awesome since gear level doesn't matter at all.

I'm strongly in the "meh" camp on this. Destiny 2 is "ok", not "great". Destiny was supposed to be this super awesome franchise that would last forever and have content released all the time blah blah blah. It's just a sci-fi shooter, it's not Digital Jesus (TM).

So while I DO play Destiny 2, I don't pay full price for any of their stuff/expansions and I don't do season passes, period.

1,200 hours into D2 on PC, had 250 on console D2 prior to PC release. I'd be excited except Bungie is known to slack while overpromising and underdelivering and they need someone to hold them to deadlines. Also this NetEase thing is kind of meh.

as a D2 player i'm pysched for this. Just hope they don't drop the ball the rest of the year on D2 while they prep d3 for ps5/xbn

I'd be excited except Bungie is known to slack while overpromising and underdelivering and they need someone to hold them to deadlines. Also this NetEase thing is kind of meh.

Tencent, a chinese investor, invested and bought like 40% of EPIC GAMES the year before fortnight got released and look how well it worked out for them. Honestly if Bungie can use the money to make more content, and less rinse repeat missions I'd be all for it. Compare the dreaming city launch to the shitshow that was mercury. They're on the right path, and if they have more content creators for the worlds they're designing, I'm happy to eat it up. They should have a dozen or two Raids by now anyways, not sure how this isn't a thing. Clearly they were limited with resources.

of course they would say that. nothing is ever anyone's fault.

Because Micro transactions, chopped-out story content resold as DLC, loot box progression was TOTALLY a Bungie thing before they were acquired by Activision...

I don't care about destiny, generic multiplayer shooter. I played about 10 minutes before I realized it's just not worth my time. I hope they abandon destiny and do something new.

I hope they abandon destiny and do something new.
Make a new epic single-player experience (co-op welcome of course). Also I wouldn't mind seeing new Marathon stuff or even well-done remakes of originals, despite Aleph One and community mods being readily available. They can't go back to Halo, so yeah I say time for something new. Also maybe bring Marty O'Donnell back. Go back to making focused single-player experiences and leave the multiplayer as an extra mode like it was in the Halo games. Don't be like 343 with Halo 5, make sure that split-screen multiplayer is in there (and yes that includes PC - if Croteam and The Coalition can do it, so can you). Never forget LAN support. Most of all, I shouldn't have to use an Internet connection to play the single-player mode. Well, whatever they do, good luck to 'em. Destiny 1 and 2 definitely weren't for me Bungie, but I liked most of your other stuff all the way back to when you were in Chicago, so I ain't gonna give up on ya yet. Always a good thing whenever a company severs ties with Activision.

Bunngie has always been a rather creative studio that doesn't play well with others. This is the second overlord they've bailed on. I'm curious if they will whore themselves out for money to ubisoft next, lol .

Ubisoft does have their own store/launcher like ActiBlizz...

Please tell me Blizzard is next to buy their freedom!
Blizzard is not owned by Activision.
Blizzard merged with Activision.
It was amicable hence blizzard has equal publishing control within the merger as pertaining to their development teams.
Blizzard development is NOT blizzard publishing.
Blizzard publishing is what merged with Activision to become Activision Blizzard.

Neither party is held "hostage". They came together willingly and equally. I don't know why people don't realize blizzard is JUST as bad as Activision with similar viewpoints on the company level.

Blizzard is not owned by Activision.
Blizzard merged with Activision.
It was amicable hence blizzard has equal publishing control within the merger as pertaining to their development teams.
Blizzard development is NOT blizzard publishing.
Blizzard publishing is what merged with Activision to become Activision Blizzard.

Neither party is held "hostage". They came together willingly and equally. I don't know why people don't realize blizzard is JUST as bad as Activision with similar viewpoints on the company level.
Because Blizzard can do no wrong in the eyes of a lot of people. But it seems like the Diablo: Immortal fiasco is starting to break the conditioning.

The only way we gamers are going to get great games is from that team of devs in a basement or garage busting their ass off to release something awesome. Once this stuff hits corporate levels it all becomes what they can milk out of each piece for as long as they can.

Might not all be good news. Did everyone miss the part about NetEase investing $100M in Bunngie? No one investments that much money without wanting something in return, and considering NetEase's track record, I'm cautious of the announcement at best. Further, considering how in bed NetEase is with Tencent, the Chinese company that funded the actiblizz merger, I'll take a wait and see approach before being happy. I was happy at first, then I looked into the details. The devil is in the details...

They bought 1 seat on the board, thats it i believe.

Because Blizzard can do no wrong in the eyes of a lot of people. But it seems like the Diablo: Immortal fiasco is starting to break the conditioning.

They didn't do wrong with Diablo Immortal imo. They have game(s?) on mobile platform already.
They just fucked up by hyping it so much, people thought it's going to be a Diablo 4 announcement.

Back