Bungie CEO Steps Down

HardOCP News

[H] News
After months of negative press over the current state of Destiny, Bungie's CEO of fifteen years has stepped down. Pete Parsons, the company's COO, has been tapped to fill the CEO position.

Today, Bungie’s Board of Directors announced that it has appointed Pete Parsons to the role of Chief Executive Officer, and that Harold Ryan will be stepping down from his position as studio President. As CEO, Parsons will be tasked with leading the talented Bungie team as they continue to develop great Destiny experiences.

I'm not sure this is going to solve anything. Have they committed to changing their policy of launching with minimal content and then selling the rest of the game over the course of a year or so at additional cost and then releasing the entire product at the end for the same price the game cost initially?

I'm not sure this is going to solve anything. Have they committed to changing their policy of launching with minimal content and then selling the rest of the game over the course of a year or so at additional cost and then releasing the entire product at the end for the same price the game cost initially?

Whoa there cowboy. It's like you don't understand synergistic market realities and contemporary trends in end user value acclimation. Or many other forms of fancy patter and babble that amount to "get used to getting fucked".

Signing with Activision was the start of Bungies downfall...

They are literally as bad as EA. They're like a butcher who only harvests meat one section at a time while the animal stays on life support. Eventually after the heart and brain are gone they just keep the decaying carcass for IP reasons.

Same thing happened with Infinity Ward. The team was made miserable until the founders were ousted and eventually the heart of the team just broke and walked out along with them, leaving Call of Duty a shell of its former self.

Video games as art versus video games as products. Same problem that they have with movies.

They are literally as bad as EA. They're like a butcher who only harvests meat one section at a time while the animal stays on life support. Eventually after the heart and brain are gone they just keep the decaying carcass for IP reasons.

Same thing happened with Infinity Ward. The team was made miserable until the founders were ousted and eventually the heart of the team just broke and walked out along with them, leaving Call of Duty a shell of its former self.

Read about Marty O'Donnell's struggle with Activision before he left.

http://venturebeat.com/2015/09/04/ex-bungie-composer-marty-odonnell-wins-epic-legal-fight-with-former-bosses/

I am not sure his stepdown has anything to do with Bungies success or lack there of. I mean as much as people like to gripe about it, Destiny is probably their most successful game ever. The timing was probably just right for him to do other things.

The Taken King expansion definitely got them a large step closer. Everything about the Taken King was good in terms of leveling and gearing up....just short in terms of content. It also does not penalize you for being a bad player but it doesn't overly reward you either. I still only log in once a day (I don't PVP much) to run the standards to get my marks...but when I do...I usually get something new and shiny even if it is a small upgrade.

If they took the mechanics from D1 and made a new D2 with a much more immersive universe it would be the first on my list of games to buy.

I bought the digital vesion of destiney for 360.and xbox one when you could get both for 60$,.and i enjoyed it up until the end when nothing really ended. The story just stops on each planet you visit, and that seamed weak to me. But what stopped me from playing was the taken kings price, no way I was spending another 60$. Yes the argument could be made that a season pass to cod games also can run 50$ but I am not one of those people that buy those either. Dlc and Expansion packs are supposed to add value and bring you back, not be repurchasing the entire game again to try and finish the story, which it doesnt really do....

And the whole way of lvling, it was a good idea on paper but it sucked in practice. Spend a lot of time lvling that new gun only to get a better one drop so you have to grind it again only for the expansion to come out and make it worthless again.... no thanks.

I waited until December to get the game, and I've been ok with it. It didn't hurt that I basically got it for $15 as it was $30 Amazon DotD and I had a $15 gift card from taking a survey. Of course that means I didn't play the game everyone else did for the first year, so I don't have any opinion on those issues.

What it does sound like is that people expected a shooter with a contained story, instead of an MMORPG-Shooter. I played Everquest back in the day and bought 2 full price expansions before ending my time in that universe. I also had to pay a monthly fee to access the game. If I remember correctly, that was $120/year just to play the game I already spent $40-50 to buy. At least now I can usually find a year subscription for Xbox Live Gold for $35-40, and I can play multiple games online for that sub, not just one.

It does sound like they shouldn't have released the game the way they did at the beginning, but that's also why I didn't buy it right away.

I am not sure his stepdown has anything to do with Bungies success or lack there of. I mean as much as people like to gripe about it, Destiny is probably their most successful game ever. The timing was probably just right for him to do other things.

You think it has sold more copies than any Halo game made?

Halo: CE - 5.5 Million (not sure if this is Xbox only or includes PC)
Halo 2 - 8 Million
Halo 3 - 12.06 million
Halo 3 ODST - 6.32 Million

Its hard to tell about Destiny as the page I am looking at list PS4, PS3, Xbox 360 and Xbox One. However if you bought the game on the new generation you got the old gen also. So people like me bought it for the Xbox One and then got it for the Xbox 360. So that will through off the numbers.

Destiny
PS4 - 5.5M
PS3 - 1.66M
Xbox 360 - 1.89M
Xbox One - 3.18M

So its hard to know how to fully take those numbers due to not knowing for sure how many overlap as 1 copy purchased by owned on both. Assuming no overlap that would be 12.23 between all systems, which would make it even with Halo 3 although this is also counting all DLC releases for Destiny as a single game not as multiple games. However Halo 3 was only one 1 system which means 1 version made vs 4 systems which means 4 versions made. So from a profit standpoint Halo 3 probably made more of a profit. Even then it is on par with what they have done before with a game series so that doesn't make it their most successful game. Not saying that it sold horrible, but then again neither did Halo for them.

I waited until December to get the game, and I've been ok with it. It didn't hurt that I basically got it for $15 as it was $30 Amazon DotD and I had a $15 gift card from taking a survey. Of course that means I didn't play the game everyone else did for the first year, so I don't have any opinion on those issues.

What it does sound like is that people expected a shooter with a contained story, instead of an MMORPG-Shooter. I played Everquest back in the day and bought 2 full price expansions before ending my time in that universe. I also had to pay a monthly fee to access the game. If I remember correctly, that was $120/year just to play the game I already spent $40-50 to buy. At least now I can usually find a year subscription for Xbox Live Gold for $35-40, and I can play multiple games online for that sub, not just one.

It does sound like they shouldn't have released the game the way they did at the beginning, but that's also why I didn't buy it right away.

The problem with your statement there is that when people said that it was an MMORPG shooter, Bungie jumped down their throat and yelled at them. They were pissed that people kept saying it was an MMORGP and kept saying it was a shooter with a shared world experience. So everyone getting the game found that they were lied to and it was in fact basically an MMORPG. Which would have been find had the game actually had some content and real story to it. Not the "I don't have time to tell you why I don't have time to tell you what is going on" or the "I could tell you about the history of the world and how we got to where we are today, but I won't". That is what turned me off, I would have been perfectly fine with the game had it actually had content. By the end I had no idea what the plot was, who anyone was or what was really going on.

Let me know when TTK ceases being a flagrant money grab or if no more big content is coming when Destiny 2 is coming out. I'll be glad to give it another try then. I enjoyed destiny quite a bit, but not so much to pay for a blatant ripoff.

Let me know when TTK ceases being a flagrant money grab or if no more big content is coming when Destiny 2 is coming out. I'll be glad to give it another try then. I enjoyed destiny quite a bit, but not so much to pay for a blatant ripoff.

I thought TTK was Destiny version 2.0

You had the DLC for Destiny then TTK was an expansion bumping up the version number. At least that is what I believe I heard / read when that was released.

I guess I should have looked before I posted. They actually are making a official Destiny 2, so I am wrong above I guess.

Back