Bunch O'Consoles

BaconGrease

Limp Gawd
My wife often reminds me that we have too many gaming consoles. But do I really? We own an xbox, xbox360, PS2, N64, GB-advance, GB-SP, DS-Lite, gamecube, and PSP. The PS2 and the original xbox are in my office at work so they don't get as much play as the home systems, and are used in my research. My kids primarily play the nintendo systems (all of them) and the 360 with me. I play the PSP, and my wife plays 360. It would clearly be nice to have a single Uber-console to rule them all (now that's an idea for a media center pc) and consolidate all gaming to a home theater setup, but in reality all this gaming is different. the handheld gaming is generally alone time, also known as quiet time, the 360 gaming in my house tends to be more family oriented with both kids +\- my wife all sitting on the bed playing together or cheering\heckling each other on. The gamecube and N64 gaming is usually the kids with their friends playing smashdown or like games. So do we need every console... a gaming system on each TV? I think we do, each system and it's games do reach out to a niche entertainment mode in my house and I bet in yours to. Furthermore, will I buy a Wii? Absolutely... multiplayer sports and parlor games should crush, and I can't wait for the Lego Star Wars Wii equivalent. Will I buy a PS3? Maybe... I was going to say probably but the price point at this point scares even me away and I'm a well off profesional. Sony is going to have to bring the killer app with that price point prior to me making room in my very well connected household.
how about you?

I only have one (360) that I use, but if you use them all, then whats the big deal. The PS3 is definitely out of the question for me though. So I think only one console for me this round (until the Wii hits $150 or less in a couple years).

I'm a 360aholic right now and plan on buying a Wii. No PS3 in site for me. :cool:

I have an NES, SNES, N64, and Gamecube. Had a DS but it was stolen :mad:

CodeX said:
I have an NES, SNES, N64, and Gamecube. Had a DS but it was stolen :mad:

I quit buying handhelds because I lose them or get mine stolen. I'm too careless to have small things.

I got -

NES
N64
Playstation 2
Game Boy Advance
Gamecube
Game Boy Advance-SP
the NEWER Game Boy Advance-SP

and room for
DS Lite
Wii
Playstation3

nah, i think you're okay :D

I have a gamecube, NDS, PSP... waiting on the wii.. and will trash the gamecube once i get the wii...

I've had all of the main ones going back to the original NES. But I never keep them, most of them have ended up broken, given to charity or to nieces / nephews. Right now I play the xbox and ds most, but I do still have the gamecube wired up. Will be getting a 360 when dead rising is released, nintendo on launch day and a PS3 when I find a buyer for my kidney (or rather when it drops in price a fair chunk). Have no plans to buy the phantom should it ever be released. :)

Dude, you're not that bad. In my house: Genesis, SNES, Saturn, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox, Xbox 360, Game Gear, Virtual Boy, Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket, 2 Game Boy Colors, 2 Game Boy Advances, Game Boy Advance SP, Nintendo DS.

Of course they don't each have their own TV, though (especially considering many are portable, LOL) That'd be crazy. These systems are spread between 3 TVs - one in my room, one in my bro's room and the TV in our living room. I currently only plan on increasing the arsenal by getting a Wii in the fall. And then I'm probably going to be good for a while.

Currently I have:

Saturn
Dreamcast
Playstation(first gen model)
PSone(later, smaller model)
PS2
Gamecube
PSP
Nintendo DS

In the fall, I'll be adding a PS3 and Wii and ditching the Gamecube.

I have:

N64
Gamecube
SP
Had an Xbox- sold it
Xbox 360

Perhaps a DS Lite later on?

Well, Wife's can be unpredictable creatures from what I hear ;).

Neither I nor my roomate are married, so we are free to have plenty in our apartment. Between the two of us we rack up:

3 PS2s (I actually just found the third in an old box, apparently an ex roomate left it behind after he skipped out of town with 2 months of rent still due and I somehow packed it)
4 Nokia nGages (they were all free, neither of us would actually pay money for those)
2 Gamecubes
1 Xbox 360
1 Xbox Original
1 PSX (the original big one)
1 PS1 (the original small version)
1 Sega Genesis
1 SegaCD (which is the kind that sits under the Genesis)
1 Sega Saturn
1 SNES
1 NES
1 Sega Master System (finally was able to find a working one cheap)
1 TurboGrafix 16
1 Sega Dreamcast
1 PSP
1 DSLite
1 DS (big version)
1 Sega Gamegear
1 Gameboy Micro (or whatever the little one is called)
1 PC capable of playing games (I guess mine can too if you count games from earlier than 2001)
1 Atari Lynx

Most of the old stuff is his, although I lay claim to the Sega products, and the Lynx (and about half of the new stuff). He is a manager at an EB though, and gets chances every now and again when people want to trade in old ass systems that they would only get a couple bucks trade in, buy just offering $10 for it to buy it himself, and thus we build a collection.

As far as having too many, consoles don't take up that much space, and if they are spread across different rooms, it really isn't that bad. I recognize that significant others always try to re-arrange the place (I have had girlfriends where they have wanted to redecorate my apartment after one month), but you do sometimes just have to say 'Look, this entertainment system takes up less than 1/10 of one room in the place, let me have some free reign somewhere.' If you let them pick out something you don't really care about like a couple bookshelves or dressers or bed coverings they usually drop it.

I have my 360, GC, PSP, and PS2 with me in my apartment. At my house I also have Atari 2600, Sega Master System, NES, Sega Genesis, SNES, Sega CD, Saturn, Playstation, Dreamcast, Game Gear, Game Boy, and Game Boy Color. I mostly play my 360 and GC. The PSP sees some use while I'm chatting and the PS2 I rarely play.

I always figured I wasn't the only one, but holy crap some of you guys are seriously packing some consoles. I agree about ditching the gamecube (as long as the Wii is truly backwards compatible... not only half assed like the 360).

BaconGrease said:
I always figured I wasn't the only one, but holy crap some of you guys are seriously packing some consoles. I agree about ditching the gamecube (as long as the Wii is truly backwards compatible... not only half assed like the 360).

But then what will happen to your gameboy player??!? :eek: :)

No such thing :D

In my apartment I have: SNES, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, and a DS. Back at my parent's place I have a NES and a Virtual Boy. Plan on getting a Wii and have been looking for a good deal on a Saturn.

All you need do is find a game she likes playing on each console and you have an excuse to keep it :)

My systems, for example:

Atari 2600 - combat, she still loves the tanks
Colecovision - burgertime
NES - Duck Hunt, even more fun as my voice helmet still works, great for parties
SNES - Secret of Mana
Sega Master System - Phantasy Star
Genesis - Phantasy Star II-IV
Saturn - Nights into dreams, panzer dragoon
3 Dreamcasts - one we play, 2 backups I got cheap - only thing you can play Samba on :)
GBA SP - kids play these
DS/DS lite - brain age for the sudoku
Xbox 360 - more for me, though she likes some of the live arcade games
Playstation 2 - Many, many jrpgs
Playstation 2 slim - fits better in my guitar hero hard case than the regular PS2
PSP - lumines
Gamecube - mario cart
N64 - mario cart 64
The PCs - have to play WoW and EVE on something :)

So, find a game she likes on each and there you go. Now, if your wife is a nongamer...

Back