Bummer Buy - Where to go from here?

ikilledmyagoia

Weaksauce
Purchased a monitor off the forums, advertised in perfect condition.

Gets here without a baseplate for the monitor in the box.

Shipper swears that "his girlfriend said she saw him put it in the box"

Box side corners are ripped, so seller suggests I file for insurance ... in 3 weeks when the earliest file date is

What would you do here? Right now hard earned bucks are laying on the couch in a monitor that cant stand up .

I would file a paypal dispute immediately. Nobody is going to steal a monitor BASE - if they are going to steal something, it would be the monitor itself.

And by then you won't be able to file for dispute. If you paid PayPal you should open a dispute now regardless. Are the rips on the side large enough for a base plate to fall out through? And why wouldn't it be attached to the monitor in the first place? Less to shift around and damage the screen.

question
why is insurance- in 3 weeks?
why can't you file now
what shipping did the seller ship it by

USPS DC+Insurance,
usps said:
When can I file a claim?

Claims for loss may be filed 21 days (after mailing) at the earliest

Rips may have been big enough but I doubt it because this is big monitor and box dimensions on the edges that are ripped is 6.5"

Stand was taken off to lay the monitor down in the box to ship, I guess.

Packing was paper and bubble wrap with no reinforcement of a kinda thin box,
The top of the monitor bezel was split open - not broken, just separated from something that had happened before/during shipping like a drop

File a pay pal dispute immediately. You always have the option to drop it or escalate it if the shipper does not work with you. IMO the shipper needs to file the claim, especially if it was shoddy packaging as a result of the loss. If I recall the shipper wll have to file the claim anyways.

For instance I bought an item from someone on a different forum recently. The item was not packed very well and it came slightly damaged. The shipper handled it better than I could have expected. He apologized, refunded me the what I paid immediately and filed a claim with UPS.

Paypal dispute. Shipping insurance is for the SHIPPER and does you no good. If he wants to chase that rabbit it is his problem but the simply fact is he failed to deliver the product as advertised.

Open dispute now. Do not close it until you either get the product you paid for or a full refund.

Paypal dispute. Shipping insurance is for the SHIPPER and does you no good. If he wants to chase that rabbit it is his problem but the simply fact is he failed to deliver the product as advertised.

Open dispute now. Do not close it until you either get the product you paid for or a full refund.

I have to disagree here. Shipping insurance is for BOTH PARTIES to insure that NEITHER PARTY loses out if the shipper screws up during delivery. That means that the buyer has some obligation to help out with the claim, since without the buyers help, the claim can not be processed.
(The buyer has to file some paper work, bring in the item to have it inspected, etc...)

You can still file the paypal dispute, but to say the buyer does not have to do anything in regards to insurance claim is wrong, and If a buyer refuses to help me process the claim, then I will claim that he is trying to scam me by refusing to cooperate, since i have no idea what arrived to his location, or in what shape it was in.

The shipper is the neutral third party.

Is the rest of the monitor in good condition? If so, why don't you contact the manufacturer and see how much they'll charge for another base? Then you can go back to the seller and ask for a partial refund to cover the cost of that.

Is the rest of the monitor in good condition? If so, why don't you contact the manufacturer and see how much they'll charge for another base? Then you can go back to the seller and ask for a partial refund to cover the cost of that.

Offered that as resolution in paypal dispute, samsungparts base plate for the model or a replacement stand that attaches to vesa holes were both about $30

Was immediately denied by seller, followed by more pressure to do insurance

what model is the monitor?
insurance is pretty iffy as it may take a while and it's not like they just write you a check if it's your fault in packaging and what not

Offered that as resolution in paypal dispute, samsungparts base plate for the model or a replacement stand that attaches to vesa holes were both about $30

Was immediately denied by seller, followed by more pressure to do insurance
File a claim then. Let him pay for a new stand and deal with the insurance business himself. That shouldn't be your problem.

What would you do here? Right now hard earned bucks are laying on the couch in a monitor that cant stand up .

I would file a dispute and then escalate it to a claim...If your seller wants to play games, let them play with PayPal....you have a non working product, there is no reason to wait if the seller is not willing to help you immediately

Smells fishy to me. As a seller these type of issues are my nightmare, as they usually take weeks and lots of stress to resolve. If this happened to me and a buyer offered to accept a $30 refund to settle, I would accept in a heartbeat. $30 to make this kind of situation go away is cheap imho.

Smells fishy to me. As a seller these type of issues are my nightmare, as they usually take weeks and lots of stress to resolve. If this happened to me and a buyer offered to accept a $30 refund to settle, I would accept in a heartbeat. $30 to make this kind of situation go away is cheap imho.

Agreed.

This is a weird case, since even if the monitor works, it is basically not usable without a stand, and the more I read it, the more is sounds like sub-standard packing is to blame.

(I should know, as I just shipped a LCD this week, with the stand and neck as separate pieces, but in the original packaging. I used a lot of shipping tape to make sure the original box was closed, and then doubled boxed it - just got heat for it)
Being anal when shipping helps avoid this stuff. :)

The seller should send you $30 if that is the case, and proceed with the insurance claim if u agreed to work with him on it.

If he has refused that, then I would ask for a full refund and send the monitor back to him.
I am not sure sure if he will will refund you your shipping cost, but I would since I would take the blame for the bad packaging.

The most important thing is communication; if he thinks he is right, point him to this thread and let him come here and explain. If he doesn't post here, and is failing to work with you at all, I would start thinking of him as a bad trader.

As for you, you should try on your own to initiate a claim with the shipper and see what they say.
That and a paypal dispute is all you can do that this time, along with nagging him to make things right.

Yeah 21 days to wait before I can even file is terrible. Plus no idea whether or not it was ever included in the first place, putting me up as the potential perpetrator of defrauding the US Mail over an already broken thing

Yeah 21 days to wait before I can even file is terrible. Plus no idea whether or not it was ever included in the first place, putting me up as the potential perpetrator of defrauding the US Mail over an already broken thing

No, you would not be guilty of defrauding. He still would since he lied about it and to the best of your knowledge you are in the clear.

I never have a problem with filing insurance; I have no idea why you'd have to wait so long to file. It must have something to do with being USPS--FedEx, at least, is much better about filing an insurance claim.

A couple takeaways from this situation:

1. Don't ship via USPS.
  2. Seller's responsible for helping process the insurance claim, it's really all up to him to make that happen, but 3 weeks is unreasonably long to wait to be made whole.
  3. Seller should definitely issue a partial refund for the cost of a new base, especially if you have some evidence that it really wasn't there (why would you lie?)
  4. Give the seller another opportunity to issue a partial refund for the cost of a base before filing a PayPal claim, b/c PP claims suck and take forever to get sorted out
  5. Don't ship via USPS.

Usps wont process an insurance claim until 21 days after shipping date, then 10 day avg wait for response on claim

Sorry, about your luck on this one man. Shame to have a sale go bad. Like others have said, from a seller stand point, if the buyer offered up an idea for a cheap ($30 in your case) resolution, I would agree to that and have Paypal refund to them lightning fast. But that fact he doesn't want to take a $30 hit to make things right does seem fishy, for sure.

But as far as USPS, I prefer them. But have only had to do a hand full of claim for things sold on eBay and had no problems.

I think stress level for this bullshit is not worth the $30 anymore and I'll just order the replacement stand

Kick the paypal thing to claims and roll the dice

Things learned:
Never buy monitors without original packaging off of forums
Never buy monitors off of forums
Especially, Never buy anything else from this guy

Since he's not doing anything to make this right can you post his user name so we are aware of his trading practices?

Not cool in the slightest, but I may be able to help ya out here.

If the guy refuses to help you and forces you to wait on pay pals decision, make sure it is spelled out in a heatware evaluation. A neutral I would think is suitable if he is unwilling to help.

apex32
dont think he has heat, though he had a record of trading here that looked pretty good so i trusted it

swears that he packed it right and contributing receipt info for insurance is all he can do about it, advises to check bubble wrap again

that 8x11" plastic oval is easy to miss, right...

any help would be appreciated.. im not far from grabbing a board and a hole saw to make a wooden base for this sucker in the meantime lol

standi.png

in the meantime... lol $1.50 home depot mod

its going to paypal claims

Never knew the thread existed..

The item was shipped with everything in there, and i even threw in cables after the fact when he asked if I had any (for free). The base was most definitely in there, why would I keep the base? I put layers of bubble wrap and in one of the layers was the base to the stand; it was definitely packaged very well. I simply stated that I was sure that I put the base in there, but even asked my gf if she remembered to be extra sure. She was certain that I did as she helped package it. Also, I checked to make sure I didn't still have it.. even though I knew it was put in the box.

PS- I do have heatware and its under Thepure907. I have also sold multiple cars online and traded/sold some multi thousand dollar car parts ... I'm not ripping someone off for a lousy monitor base.

Also, you never got back to me, or filed a claim with paypal OR usps(atleast that i know of for USPS). I had assumed, and at this point still do, that you found it.

Dan

The seller has already left a neutral heatware .. which is fine if he feels that way its my only non positive of 50 after many years, but it was shipped and packaged well, with freebies and the base WAS in there. He stopped responding completely and never escalated the paypal claim so my assumption is that he found it.

Last edited:
Back