Bulletstorm, anyone interested?

Vaulting over obstacles isn't as simple as sliding into cover and then pressing a button...it's a fucking quick-time event where you have to be in the right spot and get the prompt before you can press the button and hurdle the two-foot-high debris. At least that's how it was in the demo.

You don't have to buy DLC. Nobody's putting a gun to your head.

The press release for the DLC didn't mention the PC. Maybe it will be free on PC? I doubt it, but one can hope! It probably just won't get released on the PC at all...

edit: Nevermind, I bet the PC DLC is included in the "800 MS Points on MS Live Marketplace". I forgot that Microsoft charges spacebucks for some PC content as well.

Vaulting over obstacles isn't as simple as sliding into cover and then pressing a button...it's a fucking quick-time event where you have to be in the right spot and get the prompt before you can press the button and hurdle the two-foot-high debris. At least that's how it was in the demo.

Really, you're going to call anything with a button prompt a quick time event? I really wish the game allowed you to jump, but it's not accurate at all to call vaulting over objects in Bulletstorm a QTE.

You don't have to buy DLC. Nobody's putting a gun to your head.

Didn't say me buying the DLC is the problem. The problem is they released the game today and announced stuff to buy on a seriously short game as it is. This stuff ruins gamer loyalty.

Didn't say me buying the DLC is the problem. The problem is they released the game today and announced stuff to buy on a seriously short game as it is. This stuff ruins gamer loyalty.

I agree that it's pretty shitty to announce DLC on the day a game is released. It always feels like they intentionally held back content so they could charge extra for it later, even if that's not really the case.

I can understand why some people are pissy about not being able to jump but as a feature, I think that really depends on the actual gameplay.

I can live with no jump as long as it suits the gameplay experience and has a valid reason for it not to be included by the devs.

You really cant jump? I'd like reserve judgement before I play it but for the "style" of FPS this game portrays itself as, you should be able to fucking jump.

I dont have a lot of time these days but I might as well wait for Brink and Crysis 2 to tide me over until The Witcher 2 is released.

You really cant jump? I'd like reserve judgement before I play it but for the "style" of FPS this game portrays itself as, you should be able to fucking jump.

I dont have a lot of time these days but I might as well wait for Brink and Crysis 2 to tide me over until The Witcher 2 is released.

You won't be able to jump in The Witcher 2 either.

Why? You know what you're getting when you buy it?

Well after finishing the single player in about 6 hours of play time (on normal) and playing anarchy a bit .. I've come to the conculsion that while its a good game and entertaining its not anywhere near worth 60 bucks.

Also just to add I don't give a shit that I can jump or not , I couldn't prone in BC2 which always bothered the shit out of me but I got used to it. I never felt in Bulletstorm that jumping would have added anything other than me jumping around like a 14 year old Korean teenager high on speed while running between sequences.

It should have had competitive MP built in , I don't care for Epics excuse that it "wouldn't work". It should have had co-op and again Epic claims it "wouldn't work".

PC gamers expect a lot of bang for the buck. We don't expect 6 hours of single player , I could have excused say 10 hour single player and even mediorce MP but 6 hours and a half ass horde mode?

I still think that this series has a lot of potentinal to succeed . I think Epic needs to realize that we won't settle for quick rental experiences on the PC , either provide some depth or sales will suffer.

because most people are spoiled by wow and well all the other game where you can jump.

but seriously name a game that wouldn't of been better with jumping.

You won't be able to jump in The Witcher 2 either.

TW2 is also an RPG but thanks for pointing that out. :rolleyes: Bulletstorm, to me, was marketed and pushed as a fast paced shooter ala quake/ut/painkiller something refreshing from all the tired modern military shooters. Not being able to jump is kinda lame, in single player I could care less but in multiplayer there needs to be jump functionality.

Bring on Crysis 2 and Brink.

Wow, 6hrs gameplay? That's a bit weak.. Is there any replay value in the SP game?

BC2 and BlackOps SP both took me 4-6 hours on Hard. Personally I feel that's an adequate length for it's kind of FPS. There really isn't all that much story you can pack into an FPS to make it 10-12 hours. I can't remember the last time I played a linear FPS SP that was more than 8-9 hours.

Something Sandboxy like FarCry 1/2, Crysis or something like System Shock sure.

BC2 and arguably BLOPS are primarily multi player games though, does this even have multi player?

Wow, 6hrs gameplay? That's a bit weak.. Is there any replay value in the SP game?

There are achievements but unless you enjoy that (which I rarely care that much about) then there is echo mode and anarchy (which is a Gears of War style Horde mode and gets boring).

There really isn't a lot to keep you coming back honestly.

Yes. It was the whole reason I was interested in the first place.

Ah right, I didn't know that, for some reason I thought it didn't. Hmm well the multiplayer will definitely be the decider for paying that much money, I don't see myself buying this to be honest, it has a very console/arcade feel to it with the whole points coming out of bad guys heads when they die, like MW1/2

Really, you're going to call anything with a button prompt a quick time event? I really wish the game allowed you to jump, but it's not accurate at all to call vaulting over objects in Bulletstorm a QTE.

QTE or no QTE, waiting for the game to give you expressed permission to navigate an obstacle is idiotic.

BC2 and arguably BLOPS are primarily multi player games though, does this even have multi player?

Only a wave-based co-op mode...no competitive multiplayer.

QTE or no QTE, waiting for the game to give you expressed permission to navigate an obstacle is idiotic.

Only a wave-based co-op mode...no competitive multiplayer.

I was told and have read the game did have a regular multiplayer as well as a horde mode. That sucks.

I said I would be back with my impressions, so here they are. Keep in mind that I only just started the second act.

The good:
- The skillshot system is interesting and really adds a lot of fun to the game. It starts out pretty limited, but once you start getting more guns the game really opens up.
- The levels are really vibrant, which is a nice change of pace from most Unreal Engine games.
- The story is ridiculous and over the top, but still very enjoyable.

The bad:
- The first Act of the game gets a bit boring as you only have one gun for most of it. I just got to the beginning of Act 2 and I now have a second gun and new enemy types, and already the game is a LOT more fun.
- All of the other negatives stem from the fact that this is a piss-poor PC port of a game that was obviously designed for consoles

Example 1:

Don't power off my system when saving? Really?

Example 2:

The game technically supports 16:10, but rather than scale the output appropriately it just adds letterboxing. WTF indeed.

Other signs of a lazy PC port:
- For an unreal engine game, it runs like shit. I have it maxed out and it never stays at a solid 60fps. It hovers around 45 - 50 most of the time, but sometimes takes noticeable dips toward 30. The game is certainly pretty, but with my specs it should have no trouble staying at 60fps constantly.
- As mentioned previously, you have to use WASD to navigate the "inventory" within the game. You would think it would be trivial to add mouse scrolling to a menu like this.
- Some of the cutscenes in the game are pre-recorded, compressed movies that were obviously run in-engine. I can only assume that they were recorded and compressed to save space for consoles. They don't look awful, but they certainly look worse than they would have if they had just been shown in-game.
- There are options in the menu to turn on aim assist and "target lock". These are enabled by default.
- The max in-game AA (4x) just doesn't cut it. I haven't tried forcing higher AA through the drivers, but the game already isn't performing as well as expected so I'm a bit reluctant to do so.

I am excited to play more of the game as it truly is unique and the environments are gorgeous; however, it is inexcusable for a company like Epic to release such a shoddy PC port. I can only hope that they patch away all of the annoying console bits, but they probably won't. It would also be nice if they released mod tools, since it IS an unreal engine game, but I know this is a pipedream. I will post more gameplay impressions as I get further into the game.

I was told and have read the game did have a regular multiplayer as well as a horde mode. That sucks.

It's all through the Echo mode - you try to finish it with as many points as possible and in the shortest time, and then your score is put on leaderboards. That's the extent of the "competitive multiplayer".

I said I would be back with my impressions, so here they are. Keep in mind that I only just started the second act.

The good:
- The skillshot system is interesting and really adds a lot of fun to the game. It starts out pretty limited, but once you start getting more guns the game really opens up.
- The levels are really vibrant, which is a nice change of pace from most Unreal Engine games.
- The story is ridiculous and over the top, but still very enjoyable.

The bad:
- The first Act of the game gets a bit boring as you only have one gun for most of it. I just got to the beginning of Act 2 and I now have a second gun and new enemy types, and already the game is a LOT more fun.
- All of the other negatives stem from the fact that this is a piss-poor PC port of a game that was obviously designed for consoles

Example 1:

Don't power off my system when saving? Really?

Example 2:

The game technically supports 16:10, but rather than scale the output appropriately it just adds letterboxing. WTF indeed.

Other signs of a lazy PC port:
- For an unreal engine game, it runs like shit. I have it maxed out and it never stays at a solid 60fps. It hovers around 45 - 50 most of the time, but sometimes takes noticeable dips toward 30. The game is certainly pretty, but with my specs it should have no trouble staying at 60fps constantly.
- As mentioned previously, you have to use WASD to navigate the "inventory" within the game. You would think it would be trivial to add mouse scrolling to a menu like this.
- Some of the cutscenes in the game are pre-recorded, compressed movies that were obviously run in-engine. I can only assume that they were recorded and compressed to save space for consoles. They don't look awful, but they certainly look worse than they would have if they had just been shown in-game.
- There are options in the menu to turn on aim assist and "target lock". These are enabled by default.
- The max in-game AA (4x) just doesn't cut it. I haven't tried forcing higher AA through the drivers, but the game already isn't performing as well as expected so I'm a bit reluctant to do so.

I am excited to play more of the game as it truly is unique and the environments are gorgeous; however, it is inexcusable for a company like Epic to release such a shoddy PC port. I can only hope that they patch away all of the annoying console bits, but they probably won't. It would also be nice if they released mod tools, since it IS an unreal engine game, but I know this is a pipedream. I will post more gameplay impressions as I get further into the game.

Good job linking to thumbnails.

Do not power down your system when the icon shown appears. Do not stick metal objects into power sockets. Do not fly kites near power lines. Do not run with scissors.

Pretty much how I feel. Its still a fun game but not worth 60 bucks. Epic needs make a choice , switch completely to console development (so no more PC ports period) or pay more attention to how other internal developers are doing and figure out a way to make the game appeal more to PC gamers.

If I set post processing to low, the game never dips below 60 at 2560x1600 noAA.

May be personal preference but I think it looks a lot better with PP set to low. At high, it adds a filter that makes distant textures look muddy.

Boy, I never thought I'd be saying this but Bulletstorm is REALLY fun so far. Hell, I didn't even think I was going to buy the game until I saw the Eurogamer 9/10 review this afternoon.

I mean, I hated the 360 demo (choppy graphics and crap control), the marketing turned me off, Epic's fingerprints all over the game, etc etc, but goddamit, I've had a stupid grin almost the entire time I've played the game. It gets crazier and crazier as it goes on, good times. If you liked juggling enemies and such in Painkiller, Bulletstorm is totally worth a go.

Looks like it will fail some of the more basic standard tests for pcgmaingstandards, ugh and I thought I was seeing an improving trend, lol.

Boy, I never thought I'd be saying this but Bulletstorm is REALLY fun so far. Hell, I didn't even think I was going to buy the game until I saw the Eurogamer 9/10 review this afternoon.

I mean, I hated the 360 demo (choppy graphics and crap control), the marketing turned me off, Epic's fingerprints all over the game, etc etc, but goddamit, I've had a stupid grin almost the entire time I've played the game. It gets crazier and crazier as it goes on, good times. If you liked juggling enemies and such in Painkiller, Bulletstorm is totally worth a go.

Fun game, picked it up on d2d w/ 20% off.

There seems to be a bug with post-process on High (specifically god-rays) with Radeon 69xx cards. Apparently it's an old bug with a certain version of UE3.

Regardless, it's a really fun game and certainly worth playing. Yeah, it's short, but the point system and all the different ways to kill enemies make it infinitely replayable (especially with leaderboards).

Back