Bulletstorm, anyone interested?

PCF might be developing it but Epic games is Funding it so in my eyes neither of them are getting my support

Played the demo on 360, wasn't that interesting, might be better on the PC but it's not my cup of tea. Enemies in slow motion that you "leash" to you but nothing else slows down.

Posted this in the console thread on Bulletstorm:

"I've played through it a lot more now, and the game is very old-school in that the main replay value will seem to stem from beating your own high scores over and over again. Very hard to tell if a game will get old from a demo that tells you it should be completed under six minutes, but it will be worth a rental at least. "

http://www.destructoid.com/bulletstorm-pc-requires-persistent-internet-connection-192844.phtml

Fans of PC DRM have something to celebrate today, with news that Bulletstorm will demand a constant online connection in order to be played. More like Bullshitstorm, right guys?

It seems Electronic Arts is going to "pull an Ubisoft" while "protecting" People Can Fly's ludicrous shooter from common thieves. The news comes from EA's own product disclosure page, where it states, "PERSISTENT INTERNET CONNECTION AND ACCEPTANCE OF END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT REQUIRED TO PLAY."

You'll also be thrilled to know that the game (which already snubbed the PC by not releasing a demo outside of consoles) demands use of Games For Windows Live, better known as the worst thing to happen to PC gamers since carpal tunnel syndrome.

PC gaming. You have to love it.

There endeth my interest in this title.

So somehow last year we went from EA coming down to Earth about this to now warp speed in the opposite direction with Ubisoft.

Ok, we get it. EA and Ubisoft really don't want to be bothered with PC gaming. Why not just pull out and finish it?

well, they really fucked the pooch on this one
fuck them I love PCF but this just confirms a bargain bin purchase

well, they really fucked the pooch on this one
fuck them I love PCF but this just confirms a bargain bin purchase

Or if it's really good I guess I'll get it on the PS3. Or just not bother.

I guess EA and Ubisoft really just want to get out of PC gaming. I'll be interested to see if I see news along those lines before the year is out.

Was a big fan of Painkiller but this just doesn't look appealing. Tried the 360 demo, turned it off within a couple of minutes. Oh, and hooray for our signature being small again - much better! :)

Bulletstorm DRM and GFWL:

Source: Bluesnews said:
Destructoid has a report on plans for copy protection in Bulletstorm, along with a follow up on the DRM in People Can Fly's upcoming first-person shooter. They note that the Electronic Arts Online Disclosures for PC Games Page indicates the digitally distributed version of the game requires a persistent internet connection, but follow that up with People Can Fly denying this in a tweet, seeming to blame the internet, rather than EA for the confusion (later backing off), saying: "F**king Internets... No, Bulletstorm PC does not require any constant connection, only for install and for online play (duh!)." True to that, clicking through to the EULA itself (Adobe Acrobat-format), we see it contains word on the game's Zero Day Piracy Protection (ZDPP) and Server Side Authentication (SSA), saying: "ZDPP requires a one-time access to the Internet. It may prompt users to enter their serial code (enclosed with purchase) in order to install their game. If the code is invalid, or entered before the product’s release date, the installed executable files will remain encrypted and unusable. SSA requires a one-time access to the Internet in order to authenticate your serial code. Please keep your serial code. You may need it to access online features and/or if you seek to install your game on more than one machine." The EULA also indicates the game will use the unpopular Games for Windows LIVE. According to the EULA the game will require: "A Windows Live ID and Account, installation of the Games for Windows Live software, acceptance of the Games for Windows LIVE Terms of Use."

Can't wait for the cascade of "GFWL won't let me play Bulletstorm"-related threads upon the game's release...:(

have you installed GFWL recently?

It sucks. It made me rage. This is no simple install and be done. You are going to be install, download updates, reboot and repeat that shit for 15 minutes.

This is a screenshot from my experience with lost planet a month ago.
gfwl.jpg

GFWL is microsoft saying "FUCK YOU PC USERS!" because they can.
GFWL has done nothing for windows gaming in its entire existence.

The Ubisoft DRM never gave me a problem, so it never bothered me, and still doesn't.

Games For Windows Live, however, is a different beast, because it's been problematic for me in the past. I don't know, this whole DRM thing just doesn't bother me much. As long as the titles work, that's all I care about.

"We at Microsoft absolutely support PC gaming and we are the champions at furthering PC gaming advancement. To prove this, we will remove Alan Wake from the PC and make it Xbox 360-exclusive."

In that instance I actually think MS did the right thing keeping that pile of dogshit off the platform.

On topic, GFWL would be fine if it was reliable and didn't cause three dozen different issues with every game that's unfortunate to be tagged with it. I play the 360 and like achievements for what they're worth, and I love having games like Dawn of War II show up on my gamertag and 'xbots' are all "omg that's not on xbox!" which amuses me. However every game I've installed with GFWL I've had to uninstall and reinstall it clean, and then update every other GFWL game I have installed...and then you get times where GFWL just says "fuck it, I'm not working today" and you either have no access to your saves or can't load the game up at all.

If GFWL worked without a hitch then I see no difference between it and Steamworks other than the fact GFWL overlaps with the XBox 360 (and Steam is about to overlap with the PS3)...it's a bloody big IF, though.

Last edited:
"We at Microsoft absolutely support PC gaming and we are the champions at furthering PC gaming advancement. To prove this, we will remove Alan Wake from the PC and make it Xbox 360-exclusive."

In that instance I actually think MS did the right thing keeping that pile of dogshit off the platform.

LOL, might be. Overall trend is pretty abysmal though.

that's some really sad in game "comments", and confirms how juvenile the developers must be
a no buy for me

So the game is out in less than what? An hour, and I still haven't seen any review on this one.

I played the xbox demo last week, and it was pretty good, but I'd like to know how the PC version faired.

PC demo is coming sometime after launch, according to Epic's Mark Rein. No date.

So the game is out in less than what? An hour, and I still haven't seen any review on this one.

I played the xbox demo last week, and it was pretty good, but I'd like to know how the PC version faired.

It's because of all the raping that the reviewers are doing as a direct result of playing Bulletstorm. Fox News said so, therefore it is truth.

Ok this game is fun as shit. Its got some technical issues but its fun and thats really all I care about.

Well played Epic.

What are the technical issues?

The game has black bars top and bottom at 1920x1200 , nothing is wrong with my setup and its annoying. I'm not sure if this is done on purpose or its just a game bug but .. not something I was expecting..

It could be simply that its lacking proper 16:10 support ..which if true would be really retarded.

How did you get the demo already?

The game came out at 12:00 am est today , I bought it. When did I say I played the demo? :confused:

And by fun as hell I mean the amount of ways to kill people are just Fantastic. Being able to use the whip to snap foes off cliffs and into cactuses is just fun. The weapons are interesting and balanced.

There have been some great "oh shit" moments in single player. And man .. in the second chapter you get to do something really fun. I won't spoil it.

There is MP but no co-op , Cliffy claims that co-op was in the game only a few months before launch but was scraped because it ruined the pacing .. lame.

Damn keep us updated on your thoughts. I'm weary getting shooters on pc nowadays that aren't made by valve..the online community just isn't there for other games usually.

Damn keep us updated on your thoughts. I'm weary getting shooters on pc nowadays that aren't made by valve..the online community just isn't there for other games usually.

Well my biggest problem has so far been the lack of proper 16:10 support. Not really sure why that was excluded but I guess it doesn't bother me a ton just an annoyance.

There was a lot of talk about how the MP was suppose to be pretty meaty and fun but I'm not going to mess with it until I finish the single player first.

But I can say that it is fun. The story however is pretty empty and souless so far. The characters are funny but you don't "feel" any involvement towards there well being , you just kinda go with the flow and thats how the pacing is. If your looking for a story to pull you in , don't bother with this game ..its all about killing and fun.

And finally epic is not using brown and grey as there main color choice for the entire game (unlike GoW). Bulletstorm has a nice mix of blues and greens and you end up crossing lush areas of vegetation that use this to advantage pretty well. The game is pretty good looking , its not Metro 2033 but its not bad for a console port. Not really a lot of tweaking options either , pretty obvious that this game suffers from consolitis despite Epic's claim that each version was developed by a different internal group.

Sound design is decent but I wouldn't rate it anywhere near something like BC2. Voice acting is mostly just funny , at first you get put off by the usual "bad ass" attitude that has now become a requirement for Epic to release an action game but the jokes are pretty funny from time to time and help break up the more serious moments.

Game A.I is pretty good , enemies will run right up to you and start kicking your ass out of nowhere , a few times I was caught off guard a merc ran right up to me and stomped me to the ground and nearly killed me so I charged up my pistol's special attack and shot him with an incendiary type round that had him running to his buddies where he blew up and set them on fire , that made me smile.

As far as mod support , don't expect any. This is Epic and they are pretty much a console only company now , you can expect some DLC but thats about it.

I will say that this game is from the team that did Gears of War on the PC which was a total shitbox when it launched in 2007. Tons of bugs , you couldn't get it to patch even if you sacrificed a baby first , GFWL CTD crash bugs galore. Lots of issues with the MP server list not refreshing or properly splitting up gold members from non-gold. It was not a good launch and even after months of waiting for patches it was still somewhat messy. People Can Fly have made a much better effort with Bulletstorm and I was worried it would be a repeat performance , I'm happy so far to say its not.

I'm enjoying it so far , its not ground breaking , the story won't have you on the edge waiting for the next chapter to load but it doesn't feel like I wasted my money. If your on the fence though either rent the console version and see if it fits your taste or wait for a price drop , if you like what you've seen from screen shots and video previews then you'll likely enjoy it enough to warrant playing it now.

Last edited:
Wow I would have thought that after Bioshock and Far Cry 2 that developers would have worked out that not having 16:10 resolutions supported at launch will piss a lot of gamers off.

So for those of us who are in the dark about this title, which game does it most closely resemble (graphics-wise and gameplay-wise) as a single player experience?

Hmm, a quick look at the Steam forums and I can see many negatives:

1) GFWL is required.
2) Repetitious gameplay.
3) $59.99 - should be $39.99
4) No jump. You're always on the ground. Can't move over obstacles.
5) No support for 16:10
6) Weak plot. Uninteresting story.

Wow. Pass.

Last edited:
Back