Bulletproof Monochrome Laser Printer Suggestions?

RagingSamster

2[H]4U
Am I asking the impossible?

Looking for a monochrome laser printer that will be used by multiple PC/Mac devices hooking up to it via USB ( non-Network)

PCs will have a variety of operating systems from XP to Windows 8, IOS etc must have an easy, small driver install that can be provided on the fly to the user via USB or web, and be able to go through reams of paper per month.

And the printer must be bulletproof (Lifespan of a LaserJet 3 would be acceptable!)

Any thoughts are truly appreciated!

I'm a huge fan of Brother units. I have an HL2270DW and it keeps on going.

I know it is not really a well known brand, but I have been using an OKI B4600n for the last few years in a three PC office use setting. (property management/rental billing and the like) It has worked great, both over the network and via USB with XP, Vista, and Win7 in my experience. I have not tried using it with OSX or Win8 though the website claims drivers for both.
It is also rather inexpensive. My only real gripe is the rather small paper tray. I only recently stopped using it when I found a used HP M601 for $50 on craigslist. Yeah, I have some questions on where it came from too.

I have a brother hl2270dw also and it's still kicking after 3 years and literally 15000+ printed pages. Solid and cheap.

Brother HL5370DW here. It's jammed on me once or twice, but that's the extent of the problems I've had.

I currently have an old Dell 1720 that I picked up at a thrift store for $7 a few years back. All I did to get it working was to reset the drum counter. I had to do that again about a year ago.

Other than the drum needing to be replaced at some point, it hasn't given me any issues.

The refill toner kits are cheap, and it does 30ppm at the default setting.

Got my mother a brother monochrome printer. Works very well, printed several thousand pages without issue. No jams at all.

I'm a huge fan of Brother units. I have an HL2270DW and it keeps on going.

I also have one of these and for low volume, they're wonderful.

I hav, however, put these into some business environment, and after about 35k-40k they start to squeak and carry on. Then at about the 50k mark they just eat the gears. So an LJ 3, they are not, but for low volume, incredibly solid.

I have an old HP2200d for my company, found it on the side of the road with 1.4m prints on it. Now just under 2m and still going strong. Had to replace the fuser when I found it, but everything else was either well maintained or solid from the factory.

You just can't beat old school HP... I may need to peruse some more, I just need a printer that when a user plugs it into the USB it loads the driver and goes I may need to limit my expectations to Win7 and above. XP will be out there but it'll become more "one off" HP would be great if their new lasers are as sturdy as the laserjets of old.

Another vote for Brother! Check out the DCP-7065DN, very solid and on sale often..Toner is cheap

We have a couple of Brothers around our office and have had good luck with them. The Samsung ML series has also been pretty much bulletproof as well and the Monoprice toner for them just can't be beat.

Nevermind, I misread and I have no idea what qualifies using USB.
//Danne

I have a Brother MFC-7340, it's been good, still no issues, owned it for 3 years and still running. I love that it has a short warm up time. A newer model of this might be just as fine.
Bother software is usually light and you can just go to their site and install the drivers easy without having to install other fluff that's usually bundled.

Do you need a scanner on it (mfc style), Auto Duplex printing (both side printing without having to manually flip the page),

Another vote for brother. They are cheap and reliable performers with readily available cheap toner.

Back