Bullet Registration in BF2

Jap1987

Limp Gawd
Ive been playing the demo now for a while and ive noticed that i can never hit people when i play online at a distance unless they are standing still. Sniping on single player is easy but online it is terrible, and its not only when sniping do i notice this even with rifles i will be laying down and firing single shots at people and i will see a yellow x but they take forever to die or i just never see a x at all even if i lead the target. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems

Sniping online isn't very good at extreme ranges. I've tried it and I waste a lot of rounds.

are you getting 300ping if so that is why, i have about 15 ping when i play and i have no problems you speak of

It's realistic, you have to lead off. How MUCH you need to lead off is determined by the distance and weapon you are using. I tried a few, and it is pretty accurate, the game is good. You should Practice with bots.

If you really want to see shitty bullet registration, play CS.

#pancake @ gamesurge

Its not that realistic and ive never had problems playing CS, My ping is usually about 35-40. Ive just read some other post and I guess im going to have to get used to this game seing how ive only played CS online and im use to 1 shot kills for a headshot and 2 shots for the body.

Bullets get pulled down by gravity so maybe aim a bit higher than your target and lead them off according to distance?

i've had no problems whatsoever and i love BF2, preordered it from EB yesterday

yah I usually get somewhere around 15-30 pings..and it is pretty hard to get them with the sniper..but I manage..I cant/rarely hit tehm sniping standing up..but when I am laying down..I usually kill in 2 shots..sometimes one..

You cannot Directly aim Dead on the target, but I will Agree that the Sniping itself is broke, With the Special Forces M4 I can hit things more at a long distance than the sniper rifle itself.

It sucks i really love the Dragunov but i think they made it gay in this game.

bf2 and cs source use different registration styles. Since i played cs for so long, i cant hit a thing with any bf2 snipers. Rifles seem easier for me though

There's a thread started on the "Demo is out" or something like that. Lots of links in there.

Doing a quick google brings up a few too. :cool:

I'm having the same problem with the sniper rifle. For example, one time I was on the ground aiming at a guy who was kneeling down, maybe 15 feet feet in front of me, 2 headshots and neither one hit... Yet with the M4 carbine I can easily kill someone over 300 feet away. :rolleyes:

It is kinda iffy for me, sometimes I can hit them and kill in one shot. Other times it takes me 10rds and nothing. I see this problem even more up close, if I am moving and so is the target I cant hit a damn thing (unless i use shotgun :cool: ). It is not the ping as my ping is never over 20. It very well could be my computer but it seems to happen even with no lag. It might just be that I am not use to the spray of these guns.

Jap1987, the reason you are so "accurate" in CS is becuase the hitboxes lag behind the model. So when you aim at them while running it is hitting them. You can not even try to compare any games accuracy to CS. :rolleyes:

JEEVES

JEEVES/whohasmyname? said:
It is kinda iffy for me, sometimes I can hit them and kill in one shot. Other times it takes me 10rds and nothing. I see this problem even more up close, if I am moving and so is the target I cant hit a damn thing (unless i use shotgun :cool: ). It is not the ping as my ping is never over 20. It very well could be my computer but it seems to happen even with no lag. It might just be that I am not use to the spray of these guns.

Jap1987, the reason you are so "accurate" in CS is becuase the hitboxes lag behind the model. So when you aim at them while running it is hitting them. You can not even try to compare any games accuracy to CS. :rolleyes:

JEEVES

No the sniping is just stupid, its not you. If you want a good representation of sniping in a big online game like this try Joint Operations. Novalogic has never had the prettiest games, but thats one thing they have always done well.

BF42 and now BF2 appear to be following impossible standards for sniping. And not all the CSS servers have that lag hitbox enabled. Its a server setting. I only play on ones that use the correct setting. While sniping in CS/CSS is considered "lame" it is done right.

JEEVES
I wouldn't be surprised if many, many games suffer from hit detection problems. CS is the only one that gets that much attention because it's still by far the most popular game and is used so widely in competition.

EricDawg said:
There's a thread started on the "Demo is out" or something like that. Lots of links in there.

Doing a quick google brings up a few too. :cool:
well im just alittle paranoid of downloading stuff from just anywhere these days, you know what i mean?... spyware sux

Actualy it is not a server setting it is in the net code. Every server I have ever played on since 1.6 first came out had this problem. Even in lan games there is the issue.

And not too many game suffer from this, reason being the fact that games dont use hitboxes anymore and actualy use the models pixels for the hit recognition.

Sniping is definately buggered in the demo, REALLY hard to get a 1 hit kill. Sniper kit is a death wish for the US 'cuz of the slow bolt action, ya go unscoped and then have to search your target again. At least the MEC side can rapid fire and get a 3 hit kill before return fire kills 'ya. Any soldier on the field will get 'ya with single fire selected.
I used to love playing sniper in BF42 and BFV, but am staying away from it in BF2 (besides who needs it /me snipes you w/SpecOps kit :D )

...and there is no drop over distance for rifles or pistols in the BattleField series.

Ok Jeeves I never bragged about how accurate I was in CS but the hitboxes in that gamea after a few patches are far better then BF2 is now. If a guy was standing still in CS I could pull of a headshot and look the other way knowing that he is dead in BF2 this isnt the case.

Jap1987 said:
Ok Jeeves I never bragged about how accurate I was in CS but the hitboxes in that gamea after a few patches are far better then BF2 is now. If a guy was standing still in CS I could pull of a headshot and look the other way knowing that he is dead in BF2 this isnt the case.

very true. I snuck up on a guy laying in the weeds, aimed right at the bastard's head, unloaded 4 or 5 shots right into his skull, and he still got up and came at me with a knife. And killed me!?! Very frustrating.

pigpen said:
very true. I snuck up on a guy laying in the weeds, aimed right at the bastard's head, unloaded 4 or 5 shots right into his skull, and he still got up and came at me with a knife. And killed me!?! Very frustrating.

LOL. Welcome to ALL of the BF series. They are so fun and yet so frustrating. I had a similar instance last night. A sniper was in the grass and I snuck up on him and started firing some rounds at him with one of the automatic weapons (forgot which). Naturally, even though I am right next to the guy, he doesn't die and ends up stabbing me with a friggin' knife. Nothing about the BF series pisses me off more than that type of stuff.

Actualy it is not a server setting it is in the net code. Every server I have ever played on since 1.6 first came out had this problem. Even in lan games there is the issue.

And not too many game suffer from this, reason being the fact that games dont use hitboxes anymore and actualy use the models pixels for the hit recognition.

Nope, try a high tickrate server, to find it type net_graph 3 in console, and see how many packets are sent. If they are above 33, then you have a higher tickrate server.

You'll notice where you aim is what you hit. I do all the time. Some you can see the bullets hitting behind the target very openly but when the servers are running high tickrates its much better.

This is Source only i have no idea for 1.6. I never noticed a problem in playing in Cal or pubs for many years.

Back