Bulldozer won't be compatible with AM3

I had a feeling this would be the case. I was hoping that I would be able to do a quick CPU swap to a Bulldozer in a year or so. Oh well, it's not like anything I do really even pushes my quad at stock clocks, so it should last me a while I suppose.

Eh... hasn't it been rumored for awhile that it would need AM3+ to fully utilize the new architecture? And, AMD did the same thing with AM2+... I don't get how this is something entirely new and it shouldn't be troubling. AM3 only supports dual-channel while BD is rumored to have Tri or Quad channel.

aww....

so it's pretty much the same as AM2+ to AM3 transition(in reverse :p), AM3+ can use AM3 chips, but AM3 boards cannot use AM3+ chips.....o well,.....lets hope these fold and give me a real reason to upgrade

AMD told me that BD would be socket AM3 compatible, but some of its features would not be available.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Interesting to know. Thanks kyle.

I guess I will stave off upgrading my AM2 for now... by the way, will we have "AM4" boards popping out by 2011/2012 instead of AM3+?

That's messed up... Just like with AM2 and AM2+... Even though they warned us about AM2+/3 when AM2 was released.

That's messed up... Just like with AM2 and AM2+... Even though they warned us about AM2+/3 when AM2 was released.
How is that messed up? You can't expect them to keep using the same socket for the next 50 or more years. Its a completely new architecture. The rumors of BD working AM3 and having a new platform (AM3r2) have been floating around for a really extended amount of time. While, yes, these were rumors, the information was still there.

I'm just glad BD will work on AM3 (albeit not to its full potential).

I guess I will stave off upgrading my AM2 for now... by the way, will we have "AM4" boards popping out by 2011/2012 instead of AM3+?
The switch from AM2 to AM3 happened due to the memory compatibility change over (DDR2 vs DDR3). I've heard DDR4 will have mass availability in 2014-2015 if things go to plan so, who knows.
via (and various other sites using the same sources):http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2010/08/26/ddr4-what-we-can-expect/1

How is that messed up? You can't expect them to keep using the same socket for the next 50 or more years. Its a completely new architecture. The rumors of BD working AM3 and having a new platform (AM3r2) have been floating around for a really extended amount of time. While, yes, these were rumors, the information was still there.

oh ok nvm then

Last edited:
I'm just glad BD will work on AM3 (albeit not to its full potential).

Actually, you got it backwards. The new Bulldozer-based AM3+ CPUs, when they are released, will not work on existing Socket AM3 motherboards even if they do fit their sockets. This is due to the new Bulldozer requiring a completely new core-logic chipset to function at all.

I wonder what features? Like VT(If AMD chips have that) and things like that?

most likely it will be similar to the am2+ and am2 compatibility where you lose the higher hypertransport speed.. am3+ is suppose to have the new 3.6ghz(7.2ghz) hypertransport.. out side of that while the chip internally is different from the current am3 chips they are actually very similar to how they connect to the socket.. biggest difference will be that the BD will no longer have the ddr2 IMC and only have the ddr3 IMC which gives them more space for the NB and ddr3 IMC.. you may also lose the downclocking features of the chip but that still should work since its internally controlled by the processor its self and not the chipset or southbridge..

since xbits is the ONLY review site thats even mentioned that the BD wont work on the am3 socket and that AMD personally told Kyle that it will work on the am3 socket i have a feeling xbits just talking out of their ass and assumed that the am3+ socket is going to be the G34 socket that the 4/8 and 8/16 BD's will be running on using quad channel DDR3 which is a completely different socket from am3+ and are completely different processors from the 2/4 4/8 BD's that will be released on the am3+ socket..

that sucks and i just dropped cash on a Crosshair IV board and 1055..lol well it should last me for some time hopefully :D

I know, i am just preparing for the worst, but they do mention this:

AM3+ platform will support inexpensive chips from day one. However, such compatibility also means that AMD Zambezi processors will only support dual-channel memory controller.

So it isnt for tri channel memory either so then what would they need in AM3+ to make it so much better.

Hypertransport, Turbo Core, Advanced power management features. These will require a new chipset, maybe some changes to the MB's power circuitry. The physical socket will probably be almost the same.

Why? the 1156 platform won't get any hexa-core procs, it's only for 1366. At least you get cheap 6 core procs with AM3 boards. I'm not complaining. The 1156 is a dead socket, intel is notorious for changing mb architectures. It was stated much earlier on that BD was going to require a completely different architecture. You can only do so much with a 5 year old platform.

Was hoping for ddr2 support but i think it would probably be better to wait for the quad channel cpus. Need more bandwidth :)

I hope Bulldozer supports quad or tri channel support, hence requiring a new chipset.

there will be 2 versions.. similar to what intels doing with lga-1156/1366(1155/2011).. am3+ will be the low/mid range dual channel DDR3 while the G34 will be high end 4/8 and 8/16 with quad channel DDR3.. but we probably wont see those for retail consumers til the end of Q4 or maybe Q1 2012.. but the opteron variants of those chips should be released at the same time as the C32 chips.. but the opteron versions should be released at the same time as the C32 versions..

Folks, go read the link from the original posting. I have every reason to believe that this is true and came from AMD (even though there is no name associated with it.)

Bulldozer will fit in AM3+, not AM3. Current CPUs, will fit in AM3+ sockets which is where the confusion might have been. There won't be 2 waves of BD.

I won't comment any more on this or answer any client infrastructures because this is outside of my area of expertise. I will only answer technology questions, not socket or chipset questions.

Folks, go read the link from the original posting. I have every reason to believe that this is true and came from AMD (even though there is no name associated with it.)

Bulldozer will fit in AM3+, not AM3. Current CPUs, will fit in AM3+ sockets which is where the confusion might have been. There won't be 2 waves of BD.

I won't comment any more on this or answer any client infrastructures because this is outside of my area of expertise. I will only answer technology questions, not socket or chipset questions.

Hmm..So someone gave Kyle false information? I'm not trying to call you a liar by any means...this is just interesting coming from you since I've read all the great info you've posted on Xtreme...

Meh, Not so great for those who bought the expensive line of AM3 boards but it ought to be expected.

Bulldozer will be out in force MAYBE this time next year. PLENTY of time to save money for it. If you desperately want to go 32nm before that get Illiano (It is going to be K10.5 BTW don't believe that idiot writer at FUD)

Edit: Forgot to add If it uses the AMD 9x chipset I hope that chipset finally adds in proper Hybrid crossfire that makes use of all onboard ATI equipment.

A 2p AMD G34 with quad channel ram is what Im looking forward to. Just wish it had SLI support as well as crossfire

Hmm..So someone gave Kyle false information? I'm not trying to call you a liar by any means...this is just interesting coming from you since I've read all the great info you've posted on Xtreme...

No, not saying someone gave him false information. I did ~50 press interviews. I know I was asked about AM3 compatibility in 1 or 2 of them.

My comment was that bulldozer would fit in AM3+ and that current AM3 products would be compatible with that socket. That might have been where the misunderstanding came from.

When I am in "press mode" I am on company time. There was a set of Q&As and that was one of the questions. So I answered in the interviews.

When I am in "forum mode" I am doing this on my own time. I have to be VERY careful to a.) only answer questions in my area of expertise (servers) even if I know the answer on client and b.) not reveal any company info.

The client position on AM3+ was approved for me to discuss in a press inteview (as I did) but when it comes to forums, I am on my own time (hence 2:00 on a Saturday afternoon) and I am NOT representing AMD. I can only talk about things in the public domain.

Theoretically I am probably right on the edge in discussing something from a press interview, but because Kyle brought it up it is now in the open and I can discuss it.

I am sure he inteviews 50 people a week and I do 50 interviews a week, so it is always possible that things can get jumbled. I am sure that is all it is.

Eh... hasn't it been rumored for awhile that it would need AM3+ to fully utilize the new architecture? And, AMD did the same thing with AM2+... I don't get how this is something entirely new and it shouldn't be troubling. AM3 only supports dual-channel while BD is rumored to have Tri or Quad channel.

This...

We went from AM2, then AM2+ which needed a new board, then AM3 which needed a new board... this is just the next logical step. You can probably use an AM3 processor in an AM3+ mobo, just like AM2/+ to AM3. Nothing to see here.

AMD pissed me off when they ditched socket 939 so soon. I doubt if I'll ever purchase an AMD CPU again after that.

Sorry, but that's the downside of an integrated memory controller. Would you rather them have kept the same socket and endured years of idiots blowing out their CPUs/Motherboards/RAM? 939 was DDR, AM2 was DDR2. It's a very clear-cut line, and a change that was needed. I'm personally more pissed about the + crap. AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+? That's just confusing...

Sorry, but that's the downside of an integrated memory controller. Would you rather them have kept the same socket and endured years of idiots blowing out their CPUs/Motherboards/RAM? 939 was DDR, AM2 was DDR2. It's a very clear-cut line, and a change that was needed. I'm personally more pissed about the + crap. AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+? That's just confusing...
They could've kept making a few cpus for the people who didn't want to shell out for a new mobo/RAM. Socket 939 x2 CPUs used to go for insane prices on ebay for that reason alone.

Okay , some of you need to go read the frick'n article, or at least read what people have already posted here about the socket, ram support et cetera, man.....

They could've kept making a few cpus for the people who didn't want to shell out for a new mobo/RAM. Socket 939 x2 CPUs used to go for insane prices on ebay for that reason alone.

You do have a point there, they did kinda cut 939 a little short, but they did what they did, I had a 939 system for a full year-and-a-half after that ;)

i doubted bulldozer would work in am3 boards, since all my am3 boards are ddr2 and i figured bulldozer is ddr3 only. does this mean you were mistaken kyle? would be nice to drop in some 8 core bulldozers in my amd rigs for seti purposes but i'm not holding my breath :(

guess i'll stick to my original plan of just dropping in some cheap 1090T's once they are 100-150 :D. that is, unless bulldozer is so overwhelmingly good, i can't help myself :D :p

This kinda sucks but will be for the best in the end I think. I was wanting to upgrade my motherboard kinda soon but guess Ill wait til AM3+ boards hit the shelves. Ive got plenty of other things I can upgrade in the meantime.

I like how current CPU's will work with AM3+. Thatll make it easier to make the switch by not having to buy a new CPU the same time you buy a new AM3+ board.

Huh? AM3 is DDR3-exclusive. If your motherboards use DDR2 then they are AM2+.

This. The phenoms had both ddr2 and ddr3 memory controllers on the cpu, not sure if the latest ones do or if that's been phased out yet. This way the new cpus could be used in AM2+ motherboards and ddr2 memory. Motherboards that claim to be AM2/2+/3 are actually am2+. It's a bit confusing really, but that's the price of backwards compatibility while trying to add new features.

Back