Bulldozer Possibly Pushed back till October

In performance I can say yes. There were a few years when AMD was ahead while Intel struggled trying to push their P4 over the 4GHz mark. In marketshare no way. AMD has never ever been even close to Intel in marketshare.

AMD was in the position to gain marketshare when they were dominating P4. But Intel used fanboy moneys to pay off OEMs not to carry AMD parts. Scumbag Intel..

Admins over @ Amd's forums are stating first of 2012 for Bulldozers release. Not sure if this is true or not but this is what they're telling people over there.

Admins over @ Amd's forums are stating first of 2012 for Bulldozers release. Not sure if this is true or not but this is what they're telling people over there.

Really? I just searched and found zero info about bulldozer at their forums. Got a link?

Can you shed some light as to when it releases? I'm about to build a machine and if it's not out by October I will most likely look towards intel..

Can you shed some light as to when it releases? I'm about to build a machine and if it's not out by October I will most likely look towards intel..

I see quite a few people ask JF for a release date everyday GL ;).

Regarding the BD release, the several 8-core CPU's planned for September began shipping on Tuesday. They are "expected" to land in retail outlets on or shortly before the 19th as there are no reported delays. This from a reputible PR contact in the biz who ended our conversation with "We know about as much as you do."

Regarding the BD release, the several 8-core CPU's planned for September began shipping on Tuesday. They are "expected" to land in retail outlets on or shortly before the 19th as there are no reported delays. This from a reputible PR contact in the biz who ended our conversation with "We know about as much as you do."

There just to many people happily spamming whatever negative spin they can find in this thread :)

This isn't the first post in this thread with some nonsense. What is wrong with people

That doesn't exactly instill confidence. They expect it the 19th, but don't know for sure.

The gigabyte leak SEEMS to confirm the rumor that there will be lame 6100 and 4100 chips now, and then a few months later, improved ones.

AMD was in the position to gain marketshare when they were dominating P4. But Intel used fanboy moneys to pay off OEMs not to carry AMD parts. Scumbag Intel..

AMD didn't even have enough fabs to cover more than 25-30% of market needs at that time.

When AMD was building Fab 36 in Dresden intel had somethink like 6 or 8 fabs using 300mm waffers fabs.

The gigabyte leak SEEMS to confirm the rumor that there will be lame 6100 and 4100 chips now, and then a few months later, improved ones.

What do you mean higher clocked versions? I thought all of them will have unlocked multis anyway.

okay here is something:
A friend came round last week. one of the "processor unaware" masses. they have a laptop with a mobile pentium 4 running at about 1.6 or 1.8 or something. it has 512mb ram, and a 80gb hard drive. it just about sets the house on fire after a few hours it runs so hot.
i just built a system with an x3. (i got it so cheap that even the i3 couldnt beat it)
they saw my new case, and the following conversation ensued:
THEM: "new computer?"
ME:"yeah i just built it. its pretty sweet compared to my old one"
THEM: "oh ok. is it a pentium?"
ME: "Uhh no. its a 3 core amd" (havent tried to unlock it yet)
THEM: (puzzled) "did you downgrade?"
ME: "no this is much better than the old one"
THEM: "but its not a pentium. i have a pentium 4, so that is better than that 3 thing you have isnt it?"
ME: "oh... no its a sort of different thing."

the point is. marketing does matter. and having a good product matters.
i dont know how accurate this is:

also if AMD really doesnt give a s**t about us enthusiasts (which is what some of JF-AMD's comments really lead me to believe) why do any of us use their products? if bulldozer isnt available in the next two months, i am going to go intel

also if AMD really doesnt give a s**t about us enthusiasts (which is what some of JF-AMD's comments really lead me to believe) why do any of us use their products? if bulldozer isnt available in the next two months, i am going to go intel

Only reason I get from people who use AMD is: it's cheaper. My friends who use it generally say "if I could afford an i7 or an i5, I would. But I can't, so I don't." and then go back to playing with their phenom.

What do you mean higher clocked versions? I thought all of them will have unlocked multis anyway.

the slides they showed from way back showed they would be available in both standard and black edition's as well. we might or might not see black editions on launch day.

It's like having Santa Clause around all the time saying, "Christmas is coming!" except he never tells you when.

He has alot of posts but he hasnt said anything really. I'm wondering why he even bothers posting here.Was he sent here to do damage control?
Either way I'm building a system in November and if BD isn't available then fuck AMD I'll build a SB system instead. This is getting ridiculous BD has been delayed so many times it's in danger of being dated before it's even released.

Only reason I get from people who use AMD is: it's cheaper. My friends who use it generally say "if I could afford an i7 or an i5, I would. But I can't, so I don't." and then go back to playing with their phenom.

for me it's about 50% nostalgia, 50% I still think messing around in the bios with AMD chipsets/cpus is more fun than and intel setup. At the end of the day, I coudl care less if a cpu is 300 or 200 bucks, and really, at least as of right now, if I'm using the top of the line from either camp I'm not going to notice a difference in real world apps/games.

for me it's about 50% nostalgia, 50% I still think messing around in the bios with AMD chipsets/cpus is more fun than and intel setup. At the end of the day, I coudl care less if a cpu is 300 or 200 bucks, and really, at least as of right now, if I'm using the top of the line from either camp I'm not going to notice a difference in real world apps/games.

On a 4870, probably not. On Cayman or a higher end Fermi, without a doubt.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/market_share.html

i dont know how accurate this is, but, if it is, then having a processor which appeals to enthusiasts does affect market share a lot more than 5%. judging by the fact that according to that chart, when amd had a decent processor (even if it was only an enthusiast processor) their market share grew.
according to wikipedia:
The Core 2 brand was introduced on July 27, 2006,[2] comprising the Solo (single-core), Duo (dual-core), Quad (quad-core), [4]

look at the market share downturn for amd when core2duo came out. but hell, what do i know, i am not a marketing expert. i wonder what JF-AMD makes of that chart. since us "enthusiasts" have little or no effect on the market.
I think the poster was right. he is only on here for damage control. (No offense, JF-AMD, this is not a personal attack)

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/market_share.html

i dont know how accurate this is, but, if it is, then having a processor which appeals to enthusiasts does affect market share a lot more than 5%. judging by the fact that according to that chart, when amd had a decent processor (even if it was only an enthusiast processor) their market share grew.
according to wikipedia:

look at the market share downturn for amd when core2duo came out. but hell, what do i know, i am not a marketing expert. i wonder what JF-AMD makes of that chart. since us "enthusiasts" have little or no effect on the market.
I think the poster was right. he is only on here for damage control. (No offense, JF-AMD, this is not a personal attack)

Are you forgetting the server market isn't as locked into Intel or AMD? How many of those CPUs in use are servers and how many are individuals?

Are you forgetting the server market isn't as locked into Intel or AMD? How many of those CPUs in use are servers and how many are individuals?

i have no idea. like i said i dont how good/accurate/thorough that chart is. maybe i am just spouting garbage.
i just think that some of the things that have been said in this thread are a little condesceding. its just that i have my $400 sitting here ready to get a bulldozer and new mother board when they come out. its burning a whole in my pocket.

On a 4870, probably not. On Cayman or a higher end Fermi, without a doubt.

eh, i haven't updated my sig in about 3 builds. I'm using a GTX 580 and i2600K right now, the wifey has my old rig which is the phenom and a 6950. The 4870 was like 2 years ago. Plan was to give her the 2600 and I build a Bulldozer rig this month. I know it's arguably not going to be an upgrade, but i miss AMD...

okay here is something:
A friend came round last week. one of the "processor unaware" masses. they have a laptop with a mobile pentium 4 running at about 1.6 or 1.8 or something. it has 512mb ram, and a 80gb hard drive. it just about sets the house on fire after a few hours it runs so hot.
i just built a system with an x3. (i got it so cheap that even the i3 couldnt beat it)
they saw my new case, and the following conversation ensued:
THEM: "new computer?"
ME:"yeah i just built it. its pretty sweet compared to my old one"
THEM: "oh ok. is it a pentium?"
ME: "Uhh no. its a 3 core amd" (havent tried to unlock it yet)
THEM: (puzzled) "did you downgrade?"
ME: "no this is much better than the old one"
THEM: "but its not a pentium. i have a pentium 4, so that is better than that 3 thing you have isnt it?"
ME: "oh... no its a sort of different thing."

the point is. marketing does matter. and having a good product matters.
i dont know how accurate this is:

Your point and your example have nothing to do with each other. There is absolutely no chance a 30 second commercial is going to enlighten the common man sufficiently in this regard. If they have no idea as to the difference between a 3 core Phenom II and a Pentium 4, they may as well just accept what ever pitch the salesman at their local brick-and-mortar throws their way when shopping. Otherwise, it's entirely up to them to educate themselves so they can shop aware. What do you expect AMD to do, fund an international awareness campaign "CPUs for Dummies"? How is that not the consumer's responsibility?

i have no idea. like i said i dont how good/accurate/thorough that chart is. maybe i am just spouting garbage.
i just think that some of the things that have been said in this thread are a little condesceding. its just that i have my $400 sitting here ready to get a bulldozer and new mother board when they come out. its burning a whole in my pocket.

But I think I agree: making stuff for enthusiasts isn't a huge concern...most people DO NOT build their own PCs. Most people buy a gaming PC from Dell or something. Voodoo, Falcon NW and such are done. Cyberpower and such have taken over, and they'll sell you whatever, but that again assumes people look up what CPU is better.

My point is: enthusiasts building PCs are the minority.

if AMD really doesnt give a s**t about us enthusiasts (which is what some of JF-AMD's comments really lead me to believe) why do any of us use their products? if bulldozer isnt available in the next two months, i am going to go intel

One who decides to stick it out until AMD's product hits the market wants to build AMD. One who decides to go with Intel because AMD's product hasn't yet hit the market simply wants to build. Either way, the frustration won't be felt by anyone but yourself.

AMD isn't in the business of caring about enthusiasts. They're in the business of putting products in the hands of enthusiasts.

Wouldn't putting products in the hands of enthusiasts indicate some level of caring, though? (I think I know what you meant, but the wording threw me off...)

Having said that: enthusiasts are a relative microcosm, and not where AMD--or Intel for that matter--make their real money (see the comments a while back about AMD reportedly giving Llano fab priority over BD). Which probably goes right back to that frustration factor, though, so hey...

Back