Bulk cat 5 cable

where do you guys shop for bulk network cable and ends. I wanna puchase 1000ft, and was looking for a decent price.

Thanks,
jachristie79

Originally posted by SupaFly99
Go to homedepot

They have cat cable for cheap in bulk 1000' rolls.

You call 1000 feet of Cat5e for $49.99 cheap???

It's actually pretty expensive. But, you can't beat the quality! I bought 500 feet of Cat5e (gray color) and I just ran out today. Need to go get another roll tomorrow.

The BLUE Cat5e (Plenum Rated) costs like $130 for 1000 feet (if not more).

Home Depot worked well for me. The CAT-5e was reasonably priced and their connectors weren't as much of a rip-off as some of the other stores in the area. However, next time I buy this stuff I'm doing it as a bulk order with some other guys from work. You get a much better rate per item this way. (maybe not from HD, but Blackbox and other IT resellers will work with you when buying in bulk)

Originally posted by RavinDJ
You call 1000 feet of Cat5e for $49.99 cheap???

It's actually pretty expensive. But, you can't beat the quality! I bought 500 feet of Cat5e (gray color) and I just ran out today. Need to go get another roll tomorrow.

The BLUE Cat5e (Plenum Rated) costs like $130 for 1000 feet (if not more).

Even if I have to pay $500 for quality, I will. But you wont ever catch me put some no name stranded cables in walls like I've seen some do.

Also, plenum is expensive no matter how you look at it.

Originally posted by SupaFly99
Even if I have to pay $500 for quality, I will. But you wont ever catch me put some no name stranded cables in walls like I've seen some do.

Also, plenum is expensive no matter how you look at it.

True that! Same here... kinda.

Either way... I like the cable from Home Depot... it looks solid... feels solid... and I just ran 500 feet of it in my basement... neeeeed more :D

Home depot

I find the price resonable, and the quality of the cable to be quite good.

My whole house is wired with stuff from the Depot :)

1000ft cat6 550mhz, the flat gold kind. just under 200 bucks but the stuff is hella good.

I get all my cable from my dad's work. They buy everything from distributors like Graybar and Anixter. They sometimes buy 25000 feet at a time (25 boxes) so they get very good prices. If I need cable in a pinch, I will go to Home Depot. I like General Cable, which they sell, and I also like the Leviton jacks, plates, etc. I buy those from my dad's work, I get them much cheaper.

How does a company "certify" cables? Is there a crimper/tester that can be bought which allows one to "certify" cables?

Definitely compgeeks.com , especially since they have that 'Geekkit' that comes with the crimpers adn tester and ends.

Originally posted by Darthkim
How does a company "certify" cables? Is there a crimper/tester that can be bought which allows one to "certify" cables?

A special tester is used which costs a few thousand dollars. Check out Fluke's website.

I'm about to go to Home Depot for the following:

1000 feet of Cat5e (about $50)
20 Leviton RJ-45 jacks (about $25)
20 Leviton RJ-11 jacks (about $25)
RJ-11 patch panel (or that 110 wiring thing) (cost $10)

Anyone need anything? :D

I just noticed the cat5e that is being sold on computer geeks is solid wire and not stranded. This is fine if its going in a wall but how is solid for patch cables?

I've been making and using solid patch cables for myself for a long time, and haven't had a problem. It's easy to replace patch cables done wrong, but hard to replace wiring in the walls, so premise wiring should be done right the first time.

I have one of those GeekKits from computergeeks.com, and noticed something about the RJ-45 connectors. The connectors are designed for stranded cable, but the included cable is solid. Doesn't this make for bad connections? AFAIK, the contacts on connectors designed for stranded cable have two little prongs that are supposed to go into the stranded wire. Those designed for solid cable have three smaller prongs that go around the wire.

Back