Built my first PC, no sound, plz help

ss7

n00b
Hi guys, I built my first PC. I have Asus P5NSLI motherboard if it matters. The problem I have is that I dont get any sound. Here is the error I get everytime I try to use the mixer

33nz5.jpg

Also when I try to install the audio driver that came with the motherboard I get this message:

untitled1vo3.jpg

And this is what system profile looks like:

untitledlb7.jpg

You guys think I didnt connect something to motherboard that causes the problem? Or, could it be something else? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Also, I notice that it says "USB Device" there which usually implies that your USB 2.0 Driver is not installed....which also implies that you are most likely NOT running Service Pack 2. Hurry over to http://update.microsoft.com and get Windows up to date.

wow fast replies, thank you guys. I'll try the bios, hopefully I'll find it there.

Hey guys just tried BIOS, and I didnt see anything that has to do with audio... bet its there I just dont know. Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for there? Here are the pictures of the BIOS screen pics for the reference. Again thanks a lot for the help.

Go to the C-media or Realtek website and download the newest drivers from there. You might need to install them manually. I bet your onboard sound is the PCI device in your device manager

I would remove the legacy audio device and the audio codecs in the add/remove hardware thingy, then go to your bios (not familiar with your bios) and set it to non-windows OS change hardware config to manual, reboot, then set it back to windows OS and automatic hardware config. that usually gets the gremlins out... probubly wont fix it, but it takes like 45 seconds so its worth a try...

I have this exact motherboard. What pci-e x1 slot do you have the sound card plugged into? Believe it or not, on some models it does make a difference. I'd try the top pci-e x1 slot. Make sure its seated well. Uninstall the current drivers you have for the card, then download the most current ones on Asus' website. If that fails, I'd give tech support a call. Its all a trial and error process :) Good luck.

13-131-071-11.jpg

manofmandango:

No no, its not the card, Im using the onboard audio. Just like the one in the picture.
big_board_7.JPG

kirbyrj:

Tried few of the c-media from their website but keep getting similar message. Seems like it wont even recognize that I have audio on board :(

untitledpg5.jpg

nhusby

45 seconds lol? man I dont even know where to look for all that. I dont think I have those options in BIOS? If you can take a look at it BIOS screens here at the buttom of the page in drop down box select BIOS.

Dont really know what to do anymore :rolleyes: It sure sucks without sound. Thanks for everyones effort.

Guys I figured maybe this is the issue I have

LINK

But then I tried donwloading that update and when running it, it says that its not valid win32 application. Any way I could install it?

I GOT IT!!! :)

Thanks a lot for everyone's help, SP2 solved the issue!

Back