Built a nice gaming rig, but no fun games to play

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
So a year ago I upgraded my gaming rig with a RTX-3080 and 32GB DDR4, in a neat new Lian Li case, and new 34" ultrawide monitor, etc... I also built my kids their first gaming PC's as well, both got RTX-3070's and new AMD CPU's, but little more budget friendly Gaming PC's, but heck for a 11 and 13 year old, they've both got pretty bad ass PC's I'd say for their age.

Anyways, fast forward a year, and my system just sits idle, only using it for surfing the web, or watching YouTube.

I was a big WoW player, but Shadowlands blows to me, and I unsubbed, so not playing that.

I love shooter games, like Doom Eternal, Borderlands 3, Destiny 2, Battlefield, etc... But played those and burned out already.

- Doom Eternal looked and played great on my PC, but beat it and done months ago
- Borderlands 3 was fun, but didn't grab me or hold my attention for too long
- Destiny 2, I bought the one expansions, but playing it again, I need to buy more expansions and some anniversary package and a season pass or something. Will cost me like $80 of stuff to buy to be current, after already spent like $100 on it couple years ago. Screw that.
- Battlefield 6, I was so hyped and dying for the game, then BF2042 came out, and it's just not Battlefield.

What other games should I try? Or anyone else in a similar boat?

Black Mesa is a great game. Won't tax your system being built in such an old engine, but it's still proof that old games were great, and new games are loot box 5s attention span garbage.

I'll add, I tried bf2042 on the free weekend, and what a shitty game... How you could release such a steaming pile and not know ahead of time. I may never buy another dice game, at least not without overwhelming positive reviews.

Last edited:
Destiny 2 confuses me with all these purchases needed to pay to play.

The base game to buy $60
Several expansions to buy for like $29 ea?
Season passes to buy for what $30?
Anniversary content to buy for $24?

Game would be like a couple hundred bucks with all of that.

What happened to buying a game for $60 and it being supported with content updates for a few years? Or at least release an official expansion content update for like $30 to give new stuff to do, every couple years.

But this season pass crap to buy is stupid.

The base game to buy
Several expansions to buy
Season passes to buy

What happened to buying a game for $60 and it being supported with content updates for a few years? Or at least release an official expansion content update for like $30 to give new stuff to do.

Yeah, publishers are trying to build new revenue streams and protect profits. No one in the industry seems to care about quality.

I am in the same situation. 5950x 3080ti and full custom WC and all it does is download Linux distros and mine. Very few games manage to hold my interest. I probably have near $4k into it with everything.

I go through games like crazy. Most of them I play for 30 minutes or less before I move on to the next. Some of the games that I've enjoyed enough to keep playing are:

Hades - Action game where you progress by pushing as far as you can while choosing random upgrades before being killed and then starting over with a new run that will be completely different.
Hollow Knight - The best of the Metroidvania genre.
Neon Abyss - Similar to Hades in that you're choosing from random upgrades in order to become powerful enough (or overpowered) to complete a run but it's a 2d side scroller.
Ring of Pain - Kind of a 'push your luck' card game mashed up with a loot-based dungeon crawler.
Lego City Undercover - I don't know why but I've actually enjoyed the hell out of this. It's basically a kid-friendly GTA with a heavy emphasis on Metroid-style powerups unlocking map features and collectible hunting.
Yakuza 0 - Never played the Yakuza games before until I somehow ended up with this. I have gotten so many laughs out of this game. The dialog and events that pop up are imaginative and often hilarious.
Rimworld - A strategy game where you manage a small colony. Takes a bit of time to get in to but the customization can bring out some good emergent storytelling.
Horizon Zero Dawn - Open world game where you're a high-tech cavewoman fighting robot dinosaurs.
Assassin's Creed Odyssey - Open world game that's fun to jump in to to explore and/or murder things.

League of Legends - Only fun if you have a team of friends that also don't enjoy it very much and just want to play ARAM.

Last edited:
I played Tom Clancys The Division 2 recently and thought it was pretty good. Lots of customization, and the gameplay is decent.
Also, I found online playing with others to enhance the gaming experience a good deal. Not just in the division 2, other games, too. Try that in some of the games you've gone through if you haven't already.

Start getting into emulation and or playing retro games, by retro I mean, NES, SNES, Sega Saturn, Genesis, Turbo Grafx 16/ CD...

That's what I did. There are some absolute gems to discover that I missed playing in my childhood.

Start drinking Beet Root Powder you can buy it off Amazon. When you get older you loose focus like once you had 10-20 years ago.
Using a Smaller monitor helps with focus as well I don't know how people can play on those big monitors where you just oogle.

fortnite, warzone, tarkov, and bf2042. i'm cycling through those. also, check out rainbow six siege. Ive been enjoying fortnite alot more the past 2 seasons. they finally got the SBMM dialed in I think.

If you want more FPS games, checkout Metro Exodus: PC Enhanced Edition if you haven't already. That game will give your PC a chance to stretch its legs.

Some other choices:
  • Amid Evil
  • Bright Memory: Infinite
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Prey (2017)
  • Resident Evil Village
  • Terminator: Resistance
  • Titanfall 2 (single-player)

Could also try Dishonored, Dishonored 2, and Deathloop. Although not technically FPS, they may scratch an itch you didn't know you had.

No fun games to play or no new fun games to play? there are hundreds if not thousands of fun games out there if you're not needing to play the latest titles. I'm having fun with STALKER Anomaly/EFP.

No fun games to play or no new fun games to play? there are hundreds if not thousands of fun games out there if you're not needing to play the latest titles. I'm having fun with STALKER Anomaly/EFP.

I think one "issue" is when you just get new extremely powerful hardware you naturally gravitate toward new and high graphic affair, (i.e. so yes new but not just new, new and big) which limit your option a lot.

At first having a lot of fun with Battle Brothers seem like a waste.

I think one "issue" is when you just get new extremely powerful hardware you naturally gravitate toward new and high graphic affair, (i.e. so yes new but not just new, new and big) which limit your option a lot.

At first having a lot of fun with Battle Brothers seem like a waste.
When I got my first Titan card I played nothing but the original flash version of The Binding of Isaac for weeks.

The base game to buy $60
Several expansions to buy for like $29 ea?
Season passes to buy for what $30?
Anniversary content to buy for $24?

What happened to buying a game for $60 and it being supported with content updates for a few years? Or at least release an official expansion content update for like $30 to give new stuff to do, every couple years.

The base game is now free to play. That's right, all you "NEED" to play the game is FREE.
There are two active expansions to buy - Beyond Light and Shadowkeep. Of the two, Beyond Light is the one you really want since it adds the Stasis subclass and quite a bit of content overall. Both are on sale on Steam now and can be had for under $30 total.
You don't need to buy the anniversary content at all, unless of course you feel it's worth $25.
The season passes are $10/season if you buy them individually. Again, 100% not necessary to play the game.

Quite a few games are following the same season pass/battle pass scheme. And/or annual expansion/content packs. Some even expect you to buy a $60 game AND paid battle passes (looking at you... Call of Doody) every single year.

Escape from Tarkov. Very steep learning curve but very satisfying and rewarding shooter that actually requires skill and intelligence to beat other players. The game is pretty to look at as well, I have my 3090 maxed, and it's fantastic. Sound and level design are great as well. And if you're a firearms enthusiast, then you'll be hooked.. Customizations is unmatched. Can't say enough about this game, you will rage quit at some point, but even so, you'll want to come back for more.

Last edited:
There are so many good games out there.
Hades
Valheim
Terraria
Little Nightmares II
Loop Hero
Factorio
Dyson Sphere Program
Rebel Galaxy
This War of Mine
Salt and Sanctuary
Pillars of the Earth
A Plague Tale
Binding of Issac
Dead Cells

I could keep going on, but all of those alone would keep most folks busy for at least a few months easily, especially if you shoot for 100% achievements. Anyone that says "New games suck" or something similar just really haven't explored, likely beyond spoon fed AAA titles (even some good ones in there, though). I'm having more fun gaming in 2021 than I have in the past 20 years.

Baldurs Gate 3 even though still in early access act 1 is 40plus hours per play through. Changes a lot based on race and class and good vs evil

LOL!! Based on the ongoing supply chain / bitcoin issues, you've actually accomplished the hardest part already.

I finally got myself a Quest 2 for Xmas and honestly I've been playing the shit out of that with AirLink and buying up VR games on the Steam sale. There are some gems out there already. I've been in the same spot lately with normal PC games to where there's not much left that I haven't played that I want to play.

There are so many good games out there.
Hades
Valheim
Terraria
Little Nightmares II
Loop Hero
Factorio
Dyson Sphere Program
Rebel Galaxy
This War of Mine
Salt and Sanctuary
Pillars of the Earth
A Plague Tale
Binding of Issac
Dead Cells

I could keep going on, but all of those alone would keep most folks busy for at least a few months easily, especially if you shoot for 100% achievements. Anyone that says "New games suck" or something similar just really haven't explored, likely beyond spoon fed AAA titles (even some good ones in there, though). I'm having more fun gaming in 2021 than I have in the past 20 years.
Totally agree. I have been going through my backlog lately and some stuff on xbox app/gamepass and have been having a great time with a long list still to go. You also have to be willing to try different stuff.

I just don't know. I tried a bunch of those games and nothing keeps my interest. My doctor put me of crazy people pills 6 months ago and don't feel anything changes. I just don't have any drive towards anything.

I just don't know. I tried a bunch of those games and nothing keeps my interest. My doctor put me of crazy people pills 6 months ago and don't feel anything changes. I just don't have any drive towards anything.
Are you depressed? Recognize that you might be...It's understandable at this day and age. You gotta do what makes you happy, if playing games doesn't make you happy anymore then write down what does a do that. Go back to when you were a kid, pick up old hobbies, if for whatever reason you might be isolating yourself, don't do that, it'll only make things worse.

Also, tell your doctor to stick those pills up his ass, psycho therapy pills don't work, they only mask the issue.

Are you depressed? Recognize that you might be...It's understandable at this day and age. You gotta do what makes you happy, if playing games doesn't make you happy anymore then write down what does a do that. Go back to when you were a kid, pick up old hobbies, if for whatever reason you might be isolating yourself, don't do that, it'll only make things worse.

Also, tell your doctor to stick those pills up his ass, psycho therapy pills don't work, they only mask the issue.
That is the problem nothing does bring me joy anymore. She kept bugging me about my depression and I never admitted it til the last time I seen her 6 months ago. Covid bad no effect in me mentally. It didn't effect how I lived my life in anyway. I gave the medication a try since nothing else helped. I proabably been depressed for the past 10 years and just gotten really bad the past few years.

That is the problem nothing does bring me joy anymore. She kept bugging me about my depression and I never admitted it til the last time I seen her 6 months ago. Covid bad no effect in me mentally. It didn't effect how I lived my life in anyway. I gave the medication a try since nothing else helped.
You need to find the source of it, for me it was the death of my mother at 16, I spent many many years blaming myself for it. Whatever you find, come to terms with it and move on, the people in your life and the people that are gone would want that for you.

I was a big WoW player, but Shadowlands blows to me, and I unsubbed, so not playing that.
If you liked WoW and feel the MMO itch, Elder Scrolls Online or Final Fantasy 14 are both very good options. FF14 is more WoW like and has quite a good (if very anime) main story quest. ESO is overall well done has lots of fun stuff to do and isn't nearly as level gated as most MMOs.

I'm currently not playing any MMOs but I've played both and they did a good job scratching the MMO itch.

I was bored this holiday, and saw Cyberpunk 2077 on sale for $19, so I said what the heck, I'll try it out, to test the Ray Tracing extreme graphics setting on my RTX 3080. I went in with very low expectations, after the terrible reviews the game got at launch, and the development company rushing the game for release when it clearly wasn't ready, and all the bad press it got, etc... I stayed far away from this game. Heard it was a turd to be avoided.

Well, I was shocked, it's actually a great game, the Ray Tracing lighting and reflections are super cool, and the game world, the ambiance, and atmosphere, the story, it all sucks you in like reading a good book.

Back