Building Your Own NAS

HardOCP News

[H] News
TechSpot has put together a guide to building your own NAS using the Silverstone DS380 chassis and a handful of other goodies.

As one of the few DIY NAS enclosures around, there's a lot to appreciate about the DS380: it's cleaner than using an old desktop, more flexible than buying a prebuilt NAS and it's priced at a fair $135.

That's a sweet little NAS chassis. The idle power consumption on that 8-core Atom is atrocious, however. The other problem I see with that Atom is that on FreeNAS CIFS sessions are single-threaded so performance will suffer compared to a low end i3 or something.

if you like to tinker and play around with hardware and learn a lot from configuration; do build your own NAS (and more sure to backup externally too!).

if however you want a more complete set and forget solution which you don't need to tinker with, Synology can't be beat :)

This looks great, but needs 2 expansion slots for my usage. One for the HBA card and one for the Network card. I currently have a dual port and a quad port network cards in my Freenas and only have 1 open port.

So they're offering a NAS case that you need to modify to use an HBA with or you lose a drive slot. That doesn't seem like a good design decision. I was hoping to use one of these as a replacement for my Q25.

Back