Building/Running a server from home

A bit of background first:

Some other artists and myself want to create a small local studio and start freelancing(fun times ahead in this economy!). We cannot afford to rent actual space, so we are going to work out of our apartments. What I'm trying to do is come up with an ideal asset management solution so we can all stay on the same page.

For the actual hardware, I've built plenty of systems, but I've never done anything server-based. I'm currently looking at getting a business-class line from Comcast to my apartment so I can get a fixed IP, and then building a server to run an asset management program that we can all connect to that will handle checking in/out files, and do version tracking. Am I on the right track so far?

This server will not be doing much work, it only has to run the asset management, and perhaps host a website that won't be getting much traffic at all. Is this something I can on a simple OS such as windows home server? Also if there is a guide or something out there that can answer all the inane little questions that will pop up when I try and do this, I would be very appreciative of a link!

Virtually any computer built within the past five years is capable of being a web server.

Please answer the questions listed in the "Asking for Build Help?" sticky, and please give us the minimum/recommended specs required for the asset management program that you wish to run.

Sorry for being vague, I've never really built a server before so I don't really know how beefy the hardware needs to be, but the budget is around $800-1000, with a bit extra for some backup drives. We haven't come to a consensus on an asset management program yet, but if I had to choose I'd say we're leaning towards TortoiseSVN, since one of us has used it in the past and it's free: http://tortoisesvn.net/

SubVersion works fine. You don't need much to run it. What type of backup solution do you plan on using? I'd go for a RAID1 config for the server, and backup to an external or optical media.

How much traffic do you expect on your line? Business class lines are quite pricey for what you get, so if all you need is a fixed IP, there are other, free services for such needs (eg DynDNS).

Back