Building new PC, which version of Vista should I go with?

thomasward00

Limp Gawd
I'm torn between Vista home premium 64bit or Vista Ultimate 64 bit, what is the difference in features? I can get the vista home for 99 and the ultimate for 179

From what I've heard of other users, the 'Ultimate Extras', are not worth the additional cost. The complete PC backup is nice though. I have a 12GB image file (I have Business edition) that I can read from and restore from that, rather than having to reinstall and re-patch the whole thing. But how often do you reinstall windows?

All in all, most people recommend Home Premium x64, which is what I will do right now.

Ultimate is pretty unnecessary. I've been using Home Premium on various systems for over a year, and I've never had the need for a feature that my version of the OS lacks. IMO, save some cash and go for HP.

Ultimates a waste unless your an avid Windows power user, save some cash and get the OEM Vista Home Prem 64bit for $100 at the egg, I'm glad I did.

The main reason to go with Vista Ultimate, either it be 32-bit or 64-bit, is not for the Ultimate Extras, but for having the best of Home Premium (DVD Maker, MediaCenter, and other built-in multimedia apps) and the best of Vista Business (Domain support, RDP host support, IIS, fax support, file system encryption, dual physical CPU support) plus Bitlocker combined in one box.

If you are a home user that is not interested in ANY of what the 'Business' side has to offer, go with Home Premium. If you don't fancy the extra multimedia apps or Media Center, go with Business.

If you can live without any of those features plus aero, save your money and buy Vista Home Basic (hey, it still supports DirectX 10 and comes in either 32 or 64-bit editions). :p

The main reason to go with Vista Ultimate, either it be 32-bit or 64-bit, is not for the Ultimate Extras, but for having the best of Home Premium (DVD Maker, MediaCenter, and other built-in multimedia apps) and the best of Vista Business (Domain support, RDP host support, IIS, fax support, file system encryption, dual physical CPU support) plus Bitlocker combined in one box.

Very true. However, none of those features are particularly necessary for most people, even computer enthusiasts.

Hi,

Home Premium 64 is nice. I had a hack copy of Ultimate and thought it was a bit much in the overall for most users. I think if you have a need for a certain feature in Ultimate, go for it. However, Vista HP seems to be right on the money for most needs.

I'm going to break with the average comments here. There is one advantage that Ultimate gives over any home version that is something everyone would appreciate. Previous versions. Being able to restore that accidentally overwritten file or folder with just a couple of clicks is invaluable.

My advice is go Vista Business unless you really want the Media Center App. If you really want that then consider Ultimate. IMHO Previous versions is just that useful of a tool that everyone could benefit of.

I'm going to break with the average comments here. There is one advantage that Ultimate gives over any home version that is something everyone would appreciate. Previous versions. Being able to restore that accidentally overwritten file or folder with just a couple of clicks is invaluable.

http://www.shadowexplorer.com/

Still think that Ultimate is that much better? ;)

Back