Building new oc rig, need suggestions for parts please

Discussion in 'PC Hound System Builder' started by ebola0, Dec 12, 2016.

1. ebola0

ebola0 n00bie

I'm looking to build a new desktop computer and while I'm quite familiar with overclocking from past builds I'm not familiar with the current products on the market. I know I want a K series cpu but I'm not sure about much else. Can someone give me some recommendations as to getting an i5 or i7 and what kind of motherboard and heatsink/cooler to get? I'm thinking about doing watercooling, are there any good prebuilt kits worth considering for the cooling?

I have a decent budget but I'm not looking to do anything super expensive. I have a very roomy fullsize case so I could put a large radiator in it with no problems. I already have a pc power and cooling 850w psu so I think I'm good on the psu already, right?

2. bonehead123

bonehead123 Gawd

Since your building new, go for a skylake i7-6700k or the newer 68/6900 variants, and don't forget about some good DDR4-3000+ ram....

If you plan to o/c the cpu with only 1 GPU and not much else that could suck a lot of juice, your psu should be fine, but if you intend to use more than 1 GPU and/or other high-power components, I would suggest you get a 1000w psu to be sure.

I tend to favor Gigabyte and Asus mobo's...and would go for the upper-mid to high-end boards, simply due their better power regulation and added features....

As for coolers, for AIO's, I like the Corsair H series, but there are many, many others to choose from. Or you could do your own custom loop system too...

3. ebola0

ebola0 n00bie

I'm only going to be running a single gpu but I'm looking at a broadwell-e cpu, the 6 core one and probably 64gb of ram w/ the asus 2011-v3 motherboard. Will the psu be sufficient in that case?

4. lukart

lukart [H]Lite

Well, I wouldn't get a 1000w PSU for sure. Unless ur running SLI and lots of storage.
    There's a good video about it:

For the motherboard nothing gets better than Asrock motherboards for overclocking.
    Super reliable, rock stable under extreme oc's and extensive oc options. OC-Formula models being their top of the line.