Building new 2700x rig

Kalabalana

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey everyone, I am getting a 2700x, a 970 EVO 500 m.2 nvme, and I have a 1080.
I was wondering about the motherboard and RAM I should get.

I see the below on sale, but I am surprised by the low price - has anyone had issues with the below brand?
Also would anyone have any motherboard recommendations? I'm not planning to OC my 2700x really, just build a good solid system for gaming and 4K decoding.

Thanks everyone, I am now selling G.Skill Trident Z 3200

Last edited:
T-Force_poster.jpg

No clue on T-Force.

You should try to get at least DDR4 3000/3200 if you can.

I got the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon X470 myself, but i'm sure there are other great choices for motherboards.

How's that working out for ya?

I've been eyeing that one myself....

No issues - It accepted some 3200 Vengeance RGB RAM that was on sale no problem even though the RAM wasn't on the MSI certified listing. Took the XMP 2 profile no problem. Runs with PBO uncapped no problem. Generally seems like a solid board. It was one of the cheapest boards out there that I could find that supported SLI and that's why I got it in case I ever wanted to go SLI again.

I use the 3000mhz version of the T-force RAM with a 1600x and a B350-F Strix board and it runs fine at 2933mhz (probably would run at 3000 if I updated the bios for a later AGESA version). I've never used the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon in the AMD flavor, but the Intel ones I used were rock solid. I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try. Crosshair VII Hero has been solid for me. I wouldn't hesitate recommending it.

The only other thing I would say though is that you can probably find faster memory (3000mhz) for about the same price if you shop around. 3000mhz is kind of the sweet spot for Ryzen in terms of price/performance memory.

Team branded ram is fine stuff, just don't gimp your 2700X with 2400mhz RAM.

I just built a 2700x rig. See sig.

It's got a Gigabyte Aorus mobo.

I used G.Skill ram. 3200 Mhz, 32GB. Yeah, with RGB...because I felt whimsical. ;) (I've been a fan of G.Skill after having an issue. Their customer service/tech support was outstanding.)

This rig has a lot of pep.

I use an asus x470f board in my server. Just recently getting to understand how much the 2700x can do. I just put my 1080 in my server yesterday.

This morning i was streaming gta v @ 1080p, 3 plex transcodes, 2 shows being dvrd, 1 emby live tv stream and cpu was 60-70% utilization with temps in the 60s. Using a x61 to cool. Pretty neato.

Hey everyone, I am getting a 2700x, a 970 EVO 500 m.2 nvme, and I have a 1080.
I was wondering about the motherboard and RAM I should get.

I see the below on sale, but I am surprised by the low price - has anyone had issues with the below brand?
Also would anyone have any motherboard recommendations? I'm not planning to OC my 2700x really, just build a good solid system for gaming and 4K decoding.
Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Desktop Memory Model TLGD416G2400HC14DC01
I agree with the others - try to get 3000, or better yet, 3200 MHz RAM - either Corsair or G.Skill is good. The others are also good but Corsair is often good for being compatible with almost any brand of mobo and G.Skill is the brand most common to try and get Samsung b-die ram - but, since you're not OC-ing or are you???

I second the MSI suggestion and Gigabyte is also good - I would compare prices and sources where you will buy - the Gaming 7 is expensive but a good quality board.

I have a R7 2700 and am looking at the MSI and Gigabyte Gaming 7 - but, also look at the Asrock Taichi - I think the MSI is cheapest, followed by the Taichi and Gigabyte, in that order.

I would still advice people to pickup QVL if you are going for a certain frequency. Nothing is worse then finding out your ram which you purchased from advice on here does not work on this motherboard while people said it was good.

Back