Building my first mining rig... not going quite as planned

StupidDream

Weaksauce
792E37A7-BF60-48D5-86C0-82DA53189A8A.jpeg
So I started out thinking I would just use an old dell with an i3 530, 8gb ddr 3 and a single gtx 1060 6gb

A week later that’s all changed...

Build so far:

$240 - MSI gtx 1060 6gb gamer x

$26 - micro center 120gb ssd

$37 - power spec 550 watt bronze 80+

Windows 10 pro product key from eBay $2.80... lol

Then last night I bought the following package deal from a local fella for only $300.

-Asus p8zz7-v lx motherboard
-Intel i3 3240 and retail heat sink
-4gb ddr3(single stick)
-wooden open frame case w/ button
-Evga gtx 1060 6gb sac
-4 powered risers

Total so far is only $605.80

So I tossed the GPUs in a test rig to make sure they functioned correctly... all is well

So I mounted everything up and started installing windows 20 pro... I had contexted the monitor to the Evga GPU and not to the onboard graphics... when I got to the part in the install when it asks you for the email you use for your Microsoft account, I entered the email, clicked next and the screen went black... rebooted and it just went to the light blue setup/loading screen... it kept rotating on the progress circle thing but never actually did anything...

I decided to retry to install, as expected I got the same results

Maybe I should try the install on the onboard GPU and then add the graphics cards after windows is installed and working?

Maybe I should try the install on the onboard GPU and then add the graphics cards after windows is installed and working?

Yep.

And no need for a Windows 10 license for a mining box. It'll run just fine indefinitely without being activated.

You can also run NVOC on it with a usb stick, super easy to set up, free, more stable than windows.

yea, why even bother... your electricity cost will be more than your monthly profit... plus with difficulty going up it'll just get worse with time. I jumped ship a couple months ago and sold all of my 1070's for $410/ea while the getting was good.

My current primary machine with a 1070ti and Ryzen 1700 will net me a whopping $.25/day. Hardly worth it anymore.

yea, why even bother... your electricity cost will be more than your monthly profit... plus with difficulty going up it'll just get worse with time. I jumped ship a couple months ago and sold all of my 1070's for $410/ea while the getting was good.

My current primary machine with a 1070ti and Ryzen 1700 will net me a whopping $.25/day. Hardly worth it anymore.

Where does it say what his rate is?

Where does it say what his rate is?
Or power consumption? I know I’m planning to optimize the power consumption on my GTX 1060’s

From what I’ve read guys have gotten their power consumption on the GTX 1060 down to as low as 65 W while mining and still maintaining a near 22 mh/s hashrate.

My Kill-a-watt Shows the rig without graphics cards pulling about 35 to 40 W at the wall (about 56w under prime 95 4 threads)

I think but the time I under volt and under clock I should be able to get it closer to 25-30w at idle...

Also power is reasonably cheap here... $0.104 kw/h. Might be able to get it lowered to 0.084 kw/h if I tell the electric company that I only use electric heat...

But I have also been looking at powering the rig after it gets larger on my 3kw generator after I finish the propane conversion...

Also I think it might actually be cheaper certainly in the long run if I went to sore. Oh by the way as soon as I hoped up to onboard video and rebooted windows finished installing everything is great however I am still considering some type of Linux distro

StupidDream You got the right idea. I don't sell what i mine, but if i did - i am still profitable @ ~.12c/kwh across 57 GTX 1070/1070Ti/1080.

Do it up!

Also looks a hell of a lot nicer than my ghetto setup. The way i look at it, is if it manages to pay for itself before it dies than its a win and basically free toys.
Likely you will learn things doing it as well which is a bonus.

Best way to look at this now is either a long term way to off hardware or a source of free heat in the cooler months of the year. Do not expect to make money.

Back