building cisco lab via ebay

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
well im starting to build my cisco lab and i just got a 2514 router for $45 and another 20 for shipping, pretty damn good deal now i just hope it works,

for my lab i plan to get a bunch of 2500 series routers 2-3 to start and 2 switches 2900 series im looking at 2924's since the 2950's are expensive i think 2 switches is all you need but im going to have lots of routers :)

any suggestion for my lab and ebay tips?

i got the 2514 to start with since it has dual ethernet i can have fun using it as my modem router and practice NAT :)

if you get a switch or router running the standard edition IOS could you upgrade to the Enterprise edition?

You can download and install the IOS that the 'enhanced' version uses. I don't believe you're supposed to though but I've done it and received support from Cisco TAC with no problems.

AMD_Gamer said:
if you get a switch or router running the standard edition IOS could you upgrade to the Enterprise edition?

Yes.

Although you are not supposed to. Of course you need a CCO acount to download images from Cisco.com

what do you mean enhanced version, none of my CCNA books or any CCNA material i have covers this standard edition and enterprise edition ISO stuff, i did not learn about it until reading some stuff on building my own home lab that you want the enterprise edition for CCNA but some routers and switches are standard edition?

You will rarely see IOS versions discussed in CCNA/CCNP/CCIE books.

Isn't there some software where you can virtualize the cisco IOS for learning and save money on the hardware? I thought I remember seeing this somewhere.

Theres a couple software packages that you can emulate a Cisco network, some get more pricey than setting up a basic lab though.

bosn netsimulater by my experience is by far the best out there... however it does have it's problems and such. The only way to get good exsposure to cisco equipment is to work on the equipment itself.

I have a friend that studied from the Boson Sim software and he complained about it the whole time he was studying. I bought my lab from CiscoKits.com. I like using the actuall hardware for the simple fact alot of things just are not possible to simulate with software. Such as a cable that has become inplugged. I had that happen a time or two. Personally I would go with the hardware. Just my .02 cents worth! ;)

i have 3 2500 series routers and a 2924 switch coming so far, probally going to get one more 2900 switch and maybe another router

Back