Building Cables - Silicone wires ok?

Rune75

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Corsair RM650i in an ITX build. For the fun of it, I will completely replace the actual wire on the SATA power cables, the 8pin CPU cable, and the 8pin PCIE cable to better fit my case.

I am looking at using flexible silicone wire to smoothly get around a few bends. Also, would 18AWG or 16AWG be a better fit to build those wires? I can't find any info on what size wire I should use with ATX/EPS pin connectors. Still trying to find out the Outside Diameter of those two wires, too. See any issues?

Any info will be helpful

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You should be fine with either gauge. Many PSUs 600w and under use the smaller 18AWG but I would use 16AWG just because. Just make sure the crimp pins that you use are for the same gauge of wire that you are using.

You should be fine with either gauge. Many PSUs 600w and under use the smaller 18AWG but I would use 16AWG just because. Just make sure the crimp pins that you use are for the same gauge of wire that you are using.
That's something I haven't seen yet... Got a link to 16AWG crimp pins?

Silicone wire sheathing is used for better flexibility, higher temps and other benefits but mainly the two mentioned. If you can live with the price bump then there is not really much of a downside between PVC and Silicone other than price. http://www.awcwire.com/insulation-materials.aspx
I'm open to suggestions... 50ft of 16AWG for 30$ or less

That's something I haven't seen yet... Got a link to 16AWG crimp pins?

See Mouser for a variety of crimp pins. Honestly I have never had any problems crimping either 16g or 18g with whatever generic connectors I have gotten from PPCS. That's for the main power connectors - for small load connectors (fans, floppy, etc.) you should use a smaller wire (22-24AWG I believe) because of the smaller connectors. I think SATA Power connectors will accept either 18g or 16g wire. Those are usually Insulation Displacement Connectors (IDC) so you may just have to press a little harder to make a good connection with 16g.

Good luck and post pics of your finished project! I am curious to know how the silicone wire works for you.

Here's a pic of my old system sans video card... I used the stock Corsair cables, shortened the wires, spaced the connectors about 1.5inch apart, and flipped the heads 180 degrees so they would align to the HDD connectors without flipping the cable. Had 4 drives on a cable as I recall. I'll be doing about the same thing with this build, but never crimped my own. Pics will be posted once I get everything =)

Attachments

• Comp2.jpg
    Comp2.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 65
Thought I'd post a couple "before" pics...

I know it's not really SFF, but coming from a 10x5.25 bay case, it's small AF to me. Have 5x3TB HDD, ODD, & a Gigabyte GTX 1070 mini sitting here once I shorten my cables

Attachments

• IMG_20161116_211834.jpg
    IMG_20161116_211834.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20161116_212819.jpg
    IMG_20161116_212819.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20161116_211751.jpg
    IMG_20161116_211751.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 65
I'm open to suggestions... 50ft of 16AWG for 30$ or less

Sorry my post was not as clear as I could have been. There is nothing wrong with the wire you linked in your OP. Silicone is very good it's better than PVC except in a few small cases. The reason why you see so much PVC coated wire is due to cost. PVC is usually about 25-30% cheaper.

I have used a lot of Silicone in my RC projects.

Getting ready to measure & install my wires

Attachments

• IMG_20161214_210759.jpg
    IMG_20161214_210759.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 65
The crimp tabs that hold on to the insulation probably won't grip as well, so you may need to use harder silicone or put a 1" length of heatshrink over the insulation near the end of each wire to give the connector tabs something to grip better.

I've been thinking for a while that instead of bothering with sleeving, I'd just swap everything out with Deans or similar. It has been a while since I played around with computer parts - astounding just how low quality the wiring was!
I wish PC connectors were also as easy as Deans... Too much RC time spoilt me..

I've been thinking for a while that instead of bothering with sleeving, I'd just swap everything out with Deans or similar. It has been a while since I played around with computer parts - astounding just how low quality the wiring was!
I wish PC connectors were also as easy as Deans... Too much RC time spoilt me..
I've seen Dean's mentioned before. What is it? Link for more information?

The crimp tabs that hold on to the insulation probably won't grip as well, so you may need to use harder silicone or put a 1" length of heatshrink over the insulation near the end of each wire to give the connector tabs something to grip better.
The crimp looks pretty damn good if I say so myself... The wire is locked in and the silicone seems gripped well...

Attachments

• IMG_20161218_163143.jpg
    IMG_20161218_163143.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 56
I've seen Dean's mentioned before. What is it? Link for more information?
I used to do a lot of RC... Nitro and electric. Dean's sells connectors which I love and silicone wire that was too rich for my blood... Like 25ft of 14awg for 30$

Attachments

• shopping.jpg
    shopping.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 44
  • shopping (1).jpg
    shopping (1).jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 41
I never used enough to really investigate alternative supplies ( aside from the hideously overpriced hobby shop quantities that is..).

Any idea where to get long lengths? Or generic brand?

I used to do a lot of RC... Nitro and electric. Dean's sells connectors which I love and silicone wire that was too rich for my blood... Like 25ft of 14awg for 30$
Aside from the cost 14AWG would be a little big for PC work. Doubt it would crimp well with Molex pins and the IDC connections on SATA connectors probably would not like it.

BTW, your Molex crimps above look great! How did the SATA connectors come out?

Yeah, there's no way that 14awg silicone sleeve would fit in an atx pin crimp. I seriously doubt 16awg would fit either.

Haven't had time to wire the drives yet. Those will be done last since the drive cage blocks the back of the supply

Talked myself into keeping the original cables, but shortened them.

Attachments

• IMG_20161231_203550.jpg
    IMG_20161231_203550.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20161231_204040.jpg
    IMG_20161231_204040.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 37
Back