Building Battery Pack with AA batteries

dragnandy

Limp Gawd
Hi [H],

I current own a rebranded TDK A360 wireless speaker. The battery died out awhile back and I have been searching for a replacement.

I found one off ebay, exactly pictured in the description (green), not the main photo (in blue). But if possible, I'd prefer to avoid buying refurbished batteries. And when I removed my battery, it was simple 6 AA batteries connected to eachother with the connector pins.

My question is, can someone point me in the direction on how to DIY a battery pack like this? Is it difficult? Would I be getting more juice out of it by buying quality batteries?

For reference:
TDK battery replacement instructions:
http://downloads.imationsupport.com/lor/A/TREK_360_Battery_Replacement_Instructions.pdf

IFIXIT replacement instructions:
TDK Life on Record Trek 360 Battery Replacement

ebay post:
Replacement Battery: TDK Life on Record A360 / Q35 Wireless Speakers

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
They aren't "simple" AA batteries. Simple AA batteries cells are made of Alkaline. They're not rechargeable. Those batteries are made of Ni-MH. So they can be recharged. I would recommend buying/using Energizer Recharge Power Plus AA batteries if you plan to make your own. It probably wouldn't be too hard, just cut open the current pack and use the internals to make the new one. Use electrical tape to wrap them in and done.

Skillz, thanks for suggesting the batteries. Unfortunately I don't have the current pack anymore, can you explain what kind of internals I would need? What materials and if there is a DIY guide somewhere I may follow??

Thanks.

Eneloop batteries are the best on the market. And quite cheap too. Ikea rechargeables also give 90% the performance and are dirt cheap.
Out of at least 10 different kind's of rechargeables these are the ones I'm very happy with.
Ikea is great for products like electric razors and toothbrushes (which don't "sit" a long time), whilst the Eneloops are used for more advanced electronics like camera flashes and other high-performance, high-currentdraw devices or devices that are used only from time to time (the self discharge rate on the Eneloops is amazing).

The best part about eneloops is that they are popular so economies of scale comes into play and only makes them better!

I've been using Eneloops for years now after I found out about them. Some of my Logitech Mice even came with Eneloops in them.

Eneloops are now on my shopping list.

Any idea how these are put together? what other parts/connections would I need?

I would imagine the set up would be similar to something like this:

If so, what kind of connector would I need? Are you guys able to tell from the pictures from the original post?

Zepher brings up a good point, what is the white wire for?

I would buy one from ebay, use it till it dies, then take it apart and build a new pack using the wires and connectors.

Skillz, thanks for suggesting the batteries. Unfortunately I don't have the current pack anymore, can you explain what kind of internals I would need? What materials and if there is a DIY guide somewhere I may follow??

Thanks.

You're going to need a donor pack to steal the internals from or a damn, damn good write up on your specific pack so you can purchase each part individually.

+1 Zepher. Buy a cheap one off eBay, use it till it dies, then replace with better batteries.

Eneloops are good batteries, too. So are EBL (highest rated capacity) if you're looking for that.

Back