Building an RX 480 Hybrid, maybe...

pendragon1

Extremely [H]
gamers nexus is at it again! I know that that the first thing I would do is red mod it using my h60 off my 280x.
this is part 1:

part two, so ghetto, I love it!

Wow! a video on exactly how to NOT to mod a card. He's a total dick without a clue when it comes to modding.

I've blown up a GPU in my time, but this is cringeworthy. He's going exactly the right way to murder $200 worth in this vid, please don't use this video as a how-to guide any newb modders out there.

Please, for the sake of your cards!

Last edited:
yeah its ghetto but I didn't see anything wrong with it and no need to call names.
heres part three:

yeah its ghetto but I didn't see anything wrong with it and no need to call names.
heres part three:

OK where do I start:-

Firstly the ramsink half hanging off the ram chip has circuitry directly beneath it easily = fried mem = dead card.
Secondly the MASSIVE amount of thermal glue on the VRM's was just plain stupid and could easily cause a fried card.
Thirdly the waffle about extruded vs plained water blocks and whether it's raised or not = pure bollocks. It's how flat it is that matters regardless of the tech used and how it mates with the almost perfectly flat die.
Fourthly fan with it's cable pointed towards the PCIe slot is just stupid
Fifthly the clearances around the men for the cooler were just plain wrong to start with.
Sixthly his talk about the mating of the water block to the GPU was pure claptrap
Seventhly, his entire process was slapdash from the start, no planning at all.

I really can't be bothered to go on. The list is almost endless.

Last edited:
whatever. it was fun for him, no damaged caused and I enjoyed watching it. this wasn't a proper "how to" and he even mentioned everything you are nit-picking. I didn't make the video I just linked it so you wanna give someone shit go to his comment section...

whatever. it was fun for him, no damaged caused and I enjoyed watching it. this wasn't a proper "how to" and he even mentioned everything you are nit-picking. I didn't make the video I just linked it so you wanna give someone shit go to his comment section...

Nit Picking? You may well cause some poor newb to blow up their video card by linking to this crap in a H forum people trust.

If you seriously can't see anything wrong with the Vid's and his entire method I feel for you my friend. Feel free to blow up your own machine but don't link to crap like this for newbs to stumble upon.

I wont be the cause of anything. like I said he addressed everything you said. look around this site for all the wacky shit people do, this is no worse than most.
and I thought you couldn't be bothered...

Yawn, my posts are enough to warn newbs, even if you don't give a damn. My job here on this thread is done.

I think you need to take a time out already cause your way over reacting...It was clearly just a silly video to watch lol

With that said, i should probably look into getting similar heatsinks for my own card, because apparently all those 8 years my card was getting by with radiator that was only cooling the GPU.

With that said, i should probably look into getting similar heatsinks for my own card, because apparently all those 8 years my card was getting by with radiator that was only cooling the GPU.

Such understated sarcasm, top props to you sir :)

Back