Building a Workstation (32GB of RAM or More)

diggƒreak

Limp Gawd
I just started working on a project in which we hope to compute all eigenvalues of a 1,000,000 by 1,000,000 matrix. With current hardware, we hope that we can do it by brute force without distributed computation.

This is the first time that I have built a computer for true computing such as this. I have a few questions.

Do I need to get ECC Memory? Do I need to get a Xeon?

What is the maximum amount of memory that I can get onto one board?
I'm very much considering a dual socket board.

Best to have a big name do it like IBM or HP or DELL less headache and more compute time die to less downtime.

If you want that much RAM you need a server or workstation board. Most i7 boards only support up to 24GB of RAM. I would say dual socket Xeon board would be your best bet for that much ram.

go Magny Corpus :p (the 12 core from AMD :p )...

as for how much ram, it depends on the board, as said i7 board will do 24gb, however alot of server boards(dual socket) is 64gb I believe?

OK, I'm almost ready to purchase. Comments?
Yeah just one Westmere for now.

RohCG.png

Btw, the max memory you can currently buy for a board is 192GB in 18 slots and 8GB modules.

With a system using a lot of RAM for one program, you will see a noticeable difference in performance with faster RAM.

On RAM intensive tests, the system in my sig when running at 3.8Ghz and DDR3-1900 beats my brother's system running at 4.2Ghz with DDR3-1600.

I am not sure if you can find faster than DDR3-1333 registered DIMMS, or even if the dual socket boards are able to run the RAM at higher than 1333, but I would definitely look into it.

Back