Building a new virtualization server: which used parts to look for?

ultrakomm

n00b
Hi!

I'm in the planning stages of building a new virtualization and storage server (or maybe a storage and virtualization server). I'm planning on using SmartOS or OmniOS as the operating system/hypervisor for this server. I would like the server to be built from (mostly) used components and be as cheap as possible. With cheap I mean a CPU and motherboard combo for around $200-300. Dual socket would be nice but it's not all that important. Because I'm planning on using SmartOS (or OmniOS), I want a CPU with VT-x + EPT support. VT-d would also be nice. :)

The question I have is therefore this: what used parts should I be looking for on eBay? What CPU and what motherboard?

I have found a couple of Xeon E5507 (quad-core) for around $60 each. Are these okay (they support VT-x + EPT and VT-d), or should I look somewhere else?

Or maybe go a complete different route? 2x six-core Opteron 2419EE? And skip SmartOS until AMD-V support is there?

Thanks!

Last edited:
What are you going to run on it? How many expansion cards? What is the total budget? Rackmount or tower? Quick hint - if going LGA1366 get a L5520.

A couple of VMs (pfsense, a couple of light Linux VM and maybe 1-2 Windows VMs). 2-3 expansion cards (PCI Express or whatever). Tower. Total budget for CPU, MB, RAM $400-450. Thanks for the hint about the L5520. :)

Last edited:
I would also consider skipping that plan. You can get an IBM 2582EEU and sometimes the Dell T110 (original or II ) in the sub $350 price range. I would probably start there, then grow as needed. When people want full multi-node labs that is when you can start looking into needing a $900 budget and the L5520 machines make sense.

I would also consider skipping that plan. You can get an IBM 2582EEU and sometimes the Dell T110 (original or II ) in the sub $350 price range. I would probably start there, then grow as needed. When people want full multi-node labs that is when you can start looking into needing a $900 budget and the L5520 machines make sense.
Maybe that's a better idea, then. I just bought two L5520's, though, for ~40 USD each, bad deal? I just need a motherboard and I'd have a working setup. The other parts I already have. I basically just need a CPU + motherboard combo.

Will look into the 2582EEU and T110.

Well... that is still a good option. Lots of cheap motherboards out there.

On the chips if you did want to sell them I know at $40 people on the STH forums are buying lots for their C6100s. Probably get $80 for two within a day or two.

Thanks for your help pjkenned! :) What is a good dual socket motherboard for LGA1366, if I were to go down that route?

Yikes! There are tons out there. The main piece of advice I would give is to get one with IPMI 2.0/ KVM-over-IP capabilities. The second piece of advice is to look for an Intel 5520 based chipset not 5500. After that, it will depend a lot on whether you need an onboard RAID controller, how many DIMM slots and the form factor you need.

Back