Building a new gaming machine

Thoughts on the below? This is what I might pull down on. Any thing I should reconsider?

(2) Seagate ST3640323AS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Item #: N82E16822148335

(2) BFG Tech BFGEGTX2801024OC2E GeForce GTX 280 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814143144

CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16817139007

(2) CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-8500C5D - Retail
Item #: N82E16820145214

ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813131299

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail
Item #: N82E16819115037

**Edit. When this comes out, I might look at getting this. http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15125#. For now i have a case that will work.

I think your pretty much good to go, you might wanna get that Thermalright Heatsink though if you plan to overclock , its nice!

I was hoping you would opt for a ATI card, but the 280 is a good one as well:p

Just make sure that your ram doesnt have any problems with that specific motherboard.

I think your pretty much good to go, you might wanna get that Thermalright Heatsink though if you plan to overclock , its nice!

I was hoping you would opt for a ATI card, but the 280 is a good one as well:p

I'm not really a fan boy, I usually go with what's on top at the time.... In my last gaming rig I had ATi, but had some issues with it. Not sure if it was a chipset issue or not, but from the reviews this time around the 280 is on top.

I have Windows Vista Business, but should I throw one of my old copies of XP on this rig?

[BB] Rick James;1033092452 said:
I'm not really a fan boy, I usually go with what's on top at the time.... In my last gaming rig I had ATi, but had some issues with it. Not sure if it was a chipset issue or not, but from the reviews this time around the 280 is on top.

I have Windows Vista Business, but should I throw one of my old copies of XP on this rig?

Na man use Vista Ultimate 64, they fixxed all the performance issues with SP1 , Unless Business has all the same features, Im not too familiar with business side of vista

Na man use Vista Ultimate 64, they fixxed all the performance issues with SP1 , Unless Business has all the same features, Im not too familiar with business side of vista

Basically the same OS, just fewer features. Vista Business has everything i need for features....

I suppose a copy of XP would be useful at some point then. Probably wouldnt hurt to have one lying around.

Grats on your new rig ;)

If there are no issues with my current build, I think I am going to pull down. Right now I am going to run with my 17" monitor unitl i figure out what i am going to do. What I'd "like to do" is get a 32" plasma and mount it on the wall in front of my desk. I have an "L" shapped desk where 1 side of the desk is up against the wall.

[BB] Rick James;1033092435 said:
(2) BFG Tech BFGEGTX2801024OC2E GeForce GTX 280 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814143144

No. Intel chipset boards do not support SLI, so you will not be able to run two GTX280s. I suggest you look at a single 280, or consider getting a 4870X2 or a pair of them in CrossfireX (which Intel chipset boards do support). If you do go with a pair of X2s, I suggest you go with an X48-based motherboard for the dual 16x PCI-E 2.0 slots. The ASUS Rampage II Formula is pretty much at the top of the pack in that respect.

Also, if you aren't limiting your budget, I suggest you consider going with a quad-core CPU instead of the E8400. The Q9650 is based on the new E0 revision of the Yorkfield core, which overclocks very well. Coupled with a good heatsink, you could probably hit 4GHz fairly easily (I'm sitting at 3.8GHz with my Q9550 which is based on the older C1 stepping that doesn't overclock as well). If you plan on doing general-usage tasks on this machine or if you intend to keep it for a while, I think a quad would be a good choice.

So the ASUS Rampage II Formula supports SLi or Crossfire?

**edit.... Nevermind i got it all figured out.

Crossfire only. You will need a board with an nVidia chipset to support SLI. However, I recommend that you do not get an nVidia-based board since their chipsets are generally pretty flaky compared to Intel's.

Crossfire only. You will need a board with an nVidia chipset to support SLI. However, I recommend that you do not get an nVidia-based board since their chipsets are generally pretty flaky compared to Intel's.

Alright, here is an update.

Replacing mobo with:
ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Model #:Rampage Formula
Item #:N82E16813131284

and replacing video cards with
(2) SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Alright, Anything else I might want to tweak or should I be good?

Update. After reading a few reviews, I think I really want to go SLi this time around.

Do you have to use DDR3 in this board?
EVGA 132-YW-E179-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i

Would DDR2 work, as long as it's 240pin? I want to go with DDR2 Corsiar Dominator, 4 gigs, because well, I already have it. Would that work in this board?

Or would anyone have any other suggestions for an SLi board?

Alrighty ladies and gents....Here is the final list.

(2X = 8gig)
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail

(2X in Crossfire)
SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

I think I am going to pull down on this today. Thoughts?

I would say, if you're going to go XFire with X2, you might as well get a nicely overclocking quad as Zero82z has recommended. It's nice to have smoother peformance between different, simultaneous programs and games. Also, with XFire with X2, I highly recommend getting the Corsair 1000HX. You don't want to skimp on power when you have such a powerful machine. It's like skimping on case, wire management, and cooling when you want to overclock. It's generally not a good idea.

Besides that, you should be good to roll. (Btw, do you have a good HSF for that CPU?)

Here is what I went with....

Intel Core2 Extreme QX9775 3.2GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 771 150W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

(2X = 8gig)
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF - Retail

(2X in Crossfire)
SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

[BB] Rick James;1033098532 said:
Here is what I went with....

Intel Core2 Extreme QX9775 3.2GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 771 150W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

(2X = 8gig)

(2X in Crossfire)

With all of the above, I've left out the most important part.... Best gaming mouse!! Thoughts?

Logitech G5 or G9, depending on your tastes. Also, if it isn't too late I would suggest switching your PSU to the Corsair HX1000.

You want a fast machine for a good price, aim for something like in my sig, the Intel Q9450 quad core CPU is the slowest (Cheapest) chip in the performance quad range but clocks really high (exceeds the top model) on air cooling.

I'd suggest an intel chipset mobo, Nvidia just dont cut it right now unless you absolutely have to have SLI

4Gb of RAM, with a 64bit OS

A 4870X2 or GTX280 video card.

If you have the money for that lot, you've got a very good gaming rig.

Logitech G5 or G9, depending on your tastes. Also, if it isn't too late I would suggest switching your PSU to the Corsair HX1000.

How about the mouse pad? I have an ice mat from back in my gaming days, maybe 4 years old. Will that work well with the G9?

Nice setup, no sound card? I guess you can get away with onboard if you have a 2.1 setup

What does 2.1 have to do with getting a soundcard? If he has quality speakers, then onboard is no good, 2.1 or 5.1.

As for a mousepad, personally, I really love the Ratpadz XT that Kyle is selling on H. Just need a wrist pad and you're all set.

[BB] Rick James;1033032586 said:
So since we are so close to the Nehalem coming out you guys and gals think I should hold off just a bit longer?

YES HOLD OUT for a nehalem unless u plan to upgrade again in a years time

I would highly recommend the Razer Mantis Control mouse pad... extremely smooth and big enough to never have the problem of running off the pad.

[BB] Rick James;1033100025 said:
How about the mouse pad? I have an ice mat from back in my gaming days, maybe 4 years old. Will that work well with the G9?

The Icemat should work fine with the G9, so if you like the pad, you may as well stick with it. You might also want to check out the Ratpadz XT, although it has a textured surface unlike the Icemat so I don't know if you'd like it or not (I personally do).

I went and picked up a Samsung 245bw today. My equipment should either be here tomorrow, or Thursday. So far I have this monitor hooked up to my laptop and I am loving it. Great picture, very vibrant!

I can't wait to game!!!!

What does 2.1 have to do with getting a soundcard? If he has quality speakers, then onboard is no good, 2.1 or 5.1.

As for a mousepad, personally, I really love the Ratpadz XT that Kyle is selling on H. Just need a wrist pad and you're all set.

Onboard will work fine, although games that utilize EAX will tend to be problematic when outputting to more then 2 channels under Vista

What up ladies and gents,

I got my equipment in, I am currently installing windows vista business, 64 edition. A couple of questions:

1) At post I am getting a "unrecognized cpu post error" but can continue through it. I am guessing a bios update will fix that.

2) at post I am also getting a "cpu over temp" error, but can continue thorugh it.

3) There are two power connectors on the 4870 X2's that I have, do I need power into both plugs? I am guessing so since with only 1 power connector in it I am not able to boot. Also, are these cards supposed to run sooooo hot?

Thanks all!!

P.S. I have been out of the game for a while, but in Cross fire mode it seems I have to use the bottom video card to get a display with my monitor. Is this correct?

Thanks again,

Asus rampage comes with a soundcard. Might not be the best, but it runs my logitech 5.1s just fine.

I've got almost your exact rig (check sig) and couldn't be more happy with it. I had some problems with release 4870x2 drivers and had to reinstall windows 64, but the 8.9s seem to be doing the trick lately.

OCed my e8500 to 4.0 with a thermalright IFX-14.

Stalker CS, crysis warhead, COH, the witcher all run pretty much flawless with everything maxed on my 24".

Your going to be happy :)

-dave

[BB] Rick James;1033116862 said:
1) At post I am getting a "unrecognized cpu post error" but can continue through it. I am guessing a bios update will fix that.

2) at post I am also getting a "cpu over temp" error, but can continue thorugh it.

3) There are two power connectors on the 4870 X2's that I have, do I need power into both plugs? I am guessing so since with only 1 power connector in it I am not able to boot. Also, are these cards supposed to run sooooo hot?

Thanks all!!

P.S. I have been out of the game for a while, but in Cross fire mode it seems I have to use the bottom video card to get a display with my monitor. Is this correct?

1) Yeah, a BIOS update will probably fix it.

2) Nothing to worry about. Hopefully a BIOS update would fix that as well, but there's definitely no way that your CPU is overheating on POST.

3) Yes, both connectors are required for each card to function. Also, the cards are designed to function at the temperatures they run at, and there's no need to be concerned about their temperatures. The stock coolers are perfectly suited to coping with the heat load.

About your Crossfire question, while in CF mode only the video outputs on the master card can be used. Since your bottom card is the only one that outputs, that would be the master card in your case.

1) Yeah, a BIOS update will probably fix it.

2) Nothing to worry about. Hopefully a BIOS update would fix that as well, but there's definitely no way that your CPU is overheating on POST.

3) Yes, both connectors are required for each card to function. Also, the cards are designed to function at the temperatures they run at, and there's no need to be concerned about their temperatures. The stock coolers are perfectly suited to coping with the heat load.

About your Crossfire question, while in CF mode only the video outputs on the master card can be used. Since your bottom card is the only one that outputs, that would be the master card in your case.

Not that it probably matters, but can I make the top card the master?

Well fellas, I got the new gaming rig up and running. The bios update fixed the CPU and the heat alert issue.

I am looving gaming on this thing.

[BB] Rick James;1033127336 said:
Well fellas, I got the new gaming rig up and running. The bios update fixed the CPU and the heat alert issue.

I am looving gaming on this thing.

Awesome! Congrats Rick!

That rig is sick by the way. Mind telling us how much it ran you?

Awesome! Congrats Rick!

That rig is sick by the way. Mind telling us how much it ran you?

The parts shipped here was $2,150.00. What blows my mind is that 1000+ of that was just video cards. Those 4870 X2's are not cheap unfortunately. I've been out of the game for 3 years in terms of PC gaming and nothing has changed on that front.

Then I purchased a 24" monitor, which was 340.00. I ended up getting the SyncMaster 245BW. I read some reviews on it. Not sure if some were REALLY tough on it or what, but the color on this thing is spot on. I have noticed a little Vsync or "tearing" in a few games that I have played, but nothing to make me regret the purchase. Tearing seems to occur more in Quake Wars then anything else.

I downloaded Crysis last night and played some of that. OMFG that game looks AMAZING! This game is the reason I got back into PC gaming, the graphics were insane. I am running Crysis at 1920 X 1200, everything on High, 8X AA and 16X AF and the game ran like butter! So smooth, no tearing. When you first jump out of the plane and see the water build up on the face mask and then coming up out of the water to see the water run off the mask, Jesus that looks nice.

The only thing I "might" do differently and that can be done down the road is more ram. I read somewhere that someone was getting slower speeds with 8 gigs VS 4 gigs, so I only went with 4 gigs to boot.

**Edit, by the way. I ended up going with the Asus Formula Rampage. The LCD Poster that came with that, when it's all booted up and running does 08-45-09 indicate system life? How long the machine total has been up and running? I'm sure it will tell me somewhere but i just have not looked.

[BB] Rick James;1033136574 said:
I downloaded Crysis last night and played some of that. OMFG that game looks AMAZING! This game is the reason I got back into PC gaming, the graphics were insane. I am running Crysis at 1920 X 1200, everything on High, 8X AA and 16X AF and the game ran like butter! So smooth, no tearing. When you first jump out of the plane and see the water build up on the face mask and then coming up out of the water to see the water run off the mask, Jesus that looks nice.

congrats on the new rig. do yourself a favor and buy a copy of crysis (assuming you dl'd the demo), it's a great game.

Back