Building a new gaming computer, thoughts/recs? Budget: under $1,500, not counting gpu

RAD

Limp Gawd
Hiya,
I am finally building myself a new gaming computer and upgrading from my venerable old i7 920. My initial plan is to (for now) continue to use my GTX 1060 and my two ASUS VG248QE 24" 1920x1080 144Hz monitors.

This is what I am considering for the rest of the components. Thoughts, recommendations?

• CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K 4.1 GHz 6-Core Processor
  • CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
  • Motherboard: ASRock Z490 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX LGA1200 Motherboard
  • Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
  • Storage: Mushkin Enhanced Helix-L 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
  • Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG ATX Mid Tower Case
  • Power Supply: EVGA 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
  • GPU: Re-using my 1060 for now (intending to up to 3000 series next year when the supply chain sorts itself out)

EDIT: Budget target is under $1500, not counting GPU.

Last edited:
I would wait til Thursday and see what AMD releases. Rumor are the new AMD CPUs will match/beat anything Intel has now.

I second this ^, additionally what is your budget?
If you want to go 3000 series consider getting a 750w PSU to ensure you have enough wattage (unless you're sticking with the 3060/3070 series, a 650w should be fine for that)

Thanks! Budgetary wise I'd like to keep it under $1,500, and am not motivated to spend money just to spend money if the sweet spot is lower. The current parts list I have listed comes in at about $950 ish according to pcpartspicker. I will nudge up the PSU and will definitely wait and see until AMD's new product line launch on Thursday, thanks again for that tip.

So given what we learned today, how do folks feel about forging ahead on an intel chip? Or do I wait a month and try to pick up a Ryzen 5 5600X instead?

I would go with the new ryzen. Pending real 3rd party benchmarks, AMD appears to have put the boots in proper british style to intel.

seems like you like keeping your systems a while. I would go with this, plus a 5800x.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG ATX Mid Tower Case
Seasonic Focus Gold 750w
ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4
Crucial Ballistix 2 x 16GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Sabrent Rocket Q 2TB NVME SSD

$760 for parts + $550 for CPU + tax = ~$1400. If you want to keep it for as long as youve had a i7 920 and not upgrade anything but the GPU, this is a pretty sound build IMO. Always room to tweak your component choices, this is just a baseline.

What games do you normally play? because at 1080p 144hz even a ryzen 3600 is going to be a substantial compute improvement to the i7-920

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gdy6Mv

This is what I would recommend, its similar to mnewxcv recommendation but a few tweaks~ a more name brand 1TB NVME drive (I cannot recommend QLC as your main drive), and some RGB on the cooler and ram (if you dont like that you can save about $20 for the non-rgb versions).
The 3700x cpu is 3-4x the compute of your current processor and keeps you under $1200 with tax.

I like the 10600K so if you prefer to stay there, I would change out the HSF to either the Be Quiet Pure Rock Slim or Pure Rock 2 Black.
Also, pass on that memory. If you want something cheap, stick with G.Skill 16GB options. They are not that much more expensive.

Thanks so much everyone for the feedback. Here is my revised parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Qwc6Mv

Basically bumped up the PSU to 750w to leave headroom for a 3000 series GPU down the road, lumped on some more ram of a better manufacturer for the hell of it, and a better motherboard that has wifi built in due to the way my household is set up (computer station is nowhere near my router). Comes in at $1,250 before tax on the Intel side.

The other option is to swap out for the equivalent AMD mobo and get a AMD Ryzen 9 5900X or Ryzen 7 5800X when they launch next month. Probably comes in at about $1450 ish.

Going to percolate on it for a bit and see how I feel about things in a week or two and/or if anything miraculously pops on sale to motivate me.

I would look for ddr4 3600 cl16 rather than 3200 cl16. If you go AMD, it will definitely make a difference.

Reactions: RAD
like this
Based on the presentation from AMD, I would go AMD myself. However, based on what you posted, it seems pretty solid.

Back