building a new computer - should i bother buying XP?

mecca

Limp Gawd
actually, i should clarify. i'm finally upgrading to a 300gig HD after my 80, and i'm starting frm scratch. i own windows 2000 and i've used it as long as i can remember, but i'm wondering now if its really worth going to out to the store and purchasing XP. typically i'd run out and just buy it anyway, but i definitely want to get Windows Vista once it comes out..

..which is soon, right? so do you guys think its worth throwing money down on XP if im going to eventually upgrade to Vista soon anyway?

also, this probably has been answered but i cant find it anywhere - when Vista comes out, i assume it will require a total reformatting or something right? or will it actually have an "upgrade" option?

To be honest, I'm not sure it's worth it.

I'd consider using the XPx64 eval version (3 months/load), or sticking with 2K until Vista comes out (Q3-4 '06).

It really doesn't matter if it has an upgrade option or not, because that shouldn't even be considered when you're installing an OS that's totally new. It also won't be available until near the fall of 2006, as of now. I'd bet that it will be pushed back even farther. Only you can answer the question about XP or not. You know the role(s) of your computer, and what applications you run. You can easily see the ways XP is different than 2000, so only you can figure out if these differences are worth the cost of XP or not.

what do you mean by 3months/load? also, i havent heard much about the 64bit version of XP. what kind of problems can i face if i attempted to use that? i really can't afford to find out half of my applications dont work (if thats even the case? i have no idea!)

basically i do a ton of video editing / and graphic design work, but have always just used external HD's for saving things and i havent touched my primary HD and OS for a while.

for example, i use discreet combustion, illustrator, photoshop, premiere and 3DSmax the majority of the time. since i really haven't ever worked on an XP system beyond email and word and such, i can't tell if its worth upgrading or not (or even to the 64bit version, for that matter)

At this point I'd stick with what you've got. save your pennies for vista.... also I hope your disk is a sp4 disk or atleast slipstreamed up to that because otherwise windows wont recognise that size drive ..it may have been sp3 that fixed that, ,sorry i just dont recall

Windows XPx64 is available for free for 3 month eval. use

XPx64

The license lasts for 3 months per load/install.

hulksterjoe said:
also I hope your disk is a sp4 disk or atleast slipstreamed up to that because otherwise windows wont recognise that size drive ..it may have been sp3 that fixed that, ,sorry i just dont recall
This really isn't the kind of info you need to memorize. Just know you always need the latest SPs, and that one of them allows the larger drives. Much easier that way. ;)

With Vista coming out I'd plan on buying that. If you already have 2000 and it's fine then I'd stick with it until then. I wouldn't shell out even $89 for a copy of XP when you won't be using it for long.

XP64 is OK but there are some hassles that go along with it. Games that need tweaking before they install. Copy protection that is sometimes problematic (star force).

hmm... thanks guys, ok, maybe i will just stick with 2000 for now *shrugs*

Phoenix86 said:
This really isn't the kind of info you need to memorize. Just know you always need the latest SPs, and that one of them allows the larger drives. Much easier that way. ;)

That's true but its nice to know in advanced if the disk your starting with is "good" enough to start with.. it would be a shame to have an sp2 disk and then have to repartion...where sp3 might be good enough to atleast recognise the 300gb size and then they can just download sp4 in the future.. We dont know maybe he (she??? we dont know that either) dosent have access to a cd-burner

Back